Author Topic: Boys in blue  (Read 28559 times)

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
Re: Boys in blue
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »
He wasnt on mine either.
I know that cops go through alot of training, but I do think they need to be trained in one thing they obviously arent.
Dignity.

That and Man Management, how do deal with people so they don't go on the defensive with them because of their attitude.   :-\

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
  • ALTAR GIRL & Secretary to the Mostly High Rev. AJ
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
No, I don't have to get one.

But I can see this turning into a right mess, if I plead guilty by letter again and my license doesn't turn up, I may get another fine for that.

I think I'll show face for this one. I'll try a lawyer with first 1/2 hour free advice ans see what they say.

It's not that I am trying to get off with it, I am guilty as charged
True.

Receiving a fine because they lost your license seems a bit backasswards to me. At that point it may be time to file a complaint against them for losing your license and request they pay the fine you received for not having it...and then perhaps think about a move to the next county. :P

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2009, 09:42:56 PM »
That and Man Management, how do deal with people so they don't go on the defensive with them because of their attitude.   :-\

Yeah, they claim they do what they do to keep the upper hand in a situation.
They for some reason are too stupid to put themselves in the other persons shoes and realize their attitude puts people off.
 I know alot of films where another police force had that attitude from back in the 30s and 40s, but the language was a little hard for me to understand because it was in German. :P
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2009, 02:43:19 AM »
As indie has pointed out the police haven't really done anything wrong here, they have just failed to use good sense and have exaggerated an otherwise benign situation.  The police would argue that if they let someone off an offence, then it would be unfair on the last person they did nick and they have to be consistent.

One of the worst things about speeding convictions is that it puts ?50 or ?60 on your insurance premium - so it is kind of like being fined twice.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:59 AM »

One of the worst things about speeding convictions is that it puts ?50 or ?60 on your insurance premium - so it is kind of like being fined twice.

And in 8 yrs time another ?17.50 (if it stays the same price) to get the endorsement removed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2009, 03:09:46 AM »
And in 8 yrs time another ?17.50 (if it stays the same price) to get the endorsement removed.

I never knew that.  Here they are just ignored after 4 years unless it's a DD.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2009, 03:33:44 AM »
Maybe it is 4yrs, DD is 11 yrs I think. After the time has lapsed, they are "spent convictions".

It still stays on your license. After that you have to pay the DVLA to get them removed.

My daughter has just sent away for her provisional license, in the wee book you get with the application form it list's what the charges are. Changing your address is about the only free one.

"Removal of expired endorsements ?17.50" 

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2009, 06:18:35 AM »
Maybe it is 4yrs, DD is 11 yrs I think. After the time has lapsed, they are "spent convictions".

It still stays on your license. After that you have to pay the DVLA to get them removed.

My daughter has just sent away for her provisional license, in the wee book you get with the application form it list's what the charges are. Changing your address is about the only free one.

"Removal of expired endorsements ?17.50" 

You don't have to take a test?

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2009, 06:21:41 AM »
Aye. It's a two part test. One is a written test, the other accesses your driving.

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2009, 06:36:17 AM »
Ok. Same here.  When you said your daughter was sending away for her provisional license, I thought when you came a certain age, you could just send off for it. ;D

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2009, 06:52:54 AM »
You have to be 17 yrs to start driving. You get a provisional license which lasts for 2 yrs, in that time you are expected to have learned to drive and passed your test.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2009, 07:01:46 AM »
Sounds like the "learner's permits" you can get here in the U.S. but IIRC, that is only good for 6 months and you can get one 6 months before your 16th birthday.
--dweez

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2009, 07:07:42 AM »
15 and a half here for learners. 16 for regular llicense....with the exceptions  poor grades in school, or if one has a juvenile criminal record involving vehicles, then it is 18.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2009, 08:45:23 AM »
You can ride a scooter or moped at 16 with a prov licence, but you cannot legally drive a car on a public road until you are 17 and you must have a prov licence beforehand - even then you must be accompanied by someone with a full one.  Back in the day you could have a provisional licence for as long as you wanted but you had to renew it every 2 years or something (plus being able to ride up to a 250c motorbike), now I believe if you haven't passed a road test in 2 years, you are effectively barred for a year and then you can re-apply for another prov.  However, it changes along with the wind direction so don't quote me.

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »
And if you are caught driving without a license, or one that has been suspended, about what kind of penalties would those carry?