General Category > General Discussion

Furlough

<< < (5/5)

smokester:

--- Quote from: christ on December 01, 2020, 02:17:54 AM ---This is one of the primary reasons that I never considered starting up a company: the thought of firing someone bothers me so much that I couldn't see a way of safely hiring anyone.

--- End quote ---

I worked from September of 2016 until August of 2018 without a break because one guy just kept asking where we were working the following week even though everyone I employed were specific to a particular contract. I didn't have the heart to tell him that I wanted a couple of weeks off and ended up getting to him to paint my flat so that I could finally sit down and relax at home. In the end he got the hump because a client kept changing her mind with what colour paint to use which would have stopped him working for a day or two, so he bailed and was never heard of again. I've been tempted to call him for some casual labour, but never get as far as pressing the button.

I suppose COVID has legitimised laying people off without fear of it getting to your conscience. Or has it compounded the issue?

goldshirt*9:
So have found out through the grape vine that our Company owners are now tightening the screw on workers pay.

One site ( make or made aircraft rivets) have demanded that the employees take a min of 20-30% pay drop to keep their jobs.
Another near Ilkeston are demanding 5-10% pay drop to keep their jobs.
Site where i am employed have a meeting PM today 02/12/20 to discuss a similar request, unsure exactly but rumour is forgo 2 year pay rise agreed / pay reduction / more redundancies on top of the redundancies we are still awaiting finalisation. But only rumours so will ignore for now.
Our HR kindling phones me and stated I could do Union business and come to work without pay as per the law, I kindly replied NO I wont be coming in as the management can wait until i am "re-employed and paid" to help sort out their problems next week.
Our work force is mainly of an age that most have 20 + years employment there and have finished their mortgages etc and could reduce their wage but hate the management and will eagerly take redundancy.
So companies are turning the screw in our sector to enable profits for the big boss.
We live in interesting times.
watch this space

smokester:

--- Quote from: goldshirt*9 on December 01, 2020, 11:34:10 PM ---So have found out through the grape vine that our Company owners are now tightening the screw on workers pay.

One site ( make or made aircraft rivets) have demanded that the employees take a min of 20-30% pay drop to keep their jobs.
Another near Ilkeston are demanding 5-10% pay drop to keep their jobs.
Site where i am employed have a meeting PM today 02/12/20 to discuss a similar request, unsure exactly but rumour is forgo 2 year pay rise agreed / pay reduction / more redundancies on top of the redundancies we are still awaiting finalisation. But only rumours so will ignore for now.
Our HR kindling phones me and stated I could do Union business and come to work without pay as per the law, I kindly replied NO I wont be coming in as the management can wait until i am "re-employed and paid" to help sort out their problems next week.
Our work force is mainly of an age that most have 20 + years employment there and have finished their mortgages etc and could reduce their wage but hate the management and will eagerly take redundancy.
So companies are turning the screw in our sector to enable profits for the big boss.
We live in interesting times.
watch this space

--- End quote ---

Illegitimi non carborundum.

goldshirt*9:
Nowadays I try not to and it really pisses them off  ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version