General Category > Food and Drink

Sustainable Table

(1/6) > >>

Skadi:
I'm in the process of finalizing what I'm going to grow in my garden. I have more space to grow things since I moved this year. In the past I've grown things like tomatoes, and herbs.. and er.. flowers.. but I've never branched out and pushed myself. Right now I'm thinking of growing 3 types of tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, peppers, herbs, fava beans, green beans, Chinese pea pods, carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe, mesclun type salad mix including baby spinach, onions.. and flowers...oh, and pumpkins, corn, and gourds. I'm holding off potatoes... I think.. mostly because they're cheap to buy.. and take up space to grow. I'm also planting berries (hopefully if I have enough money..) but, they won't bear fruit until they've been established a year. 

Any advice? or.. is anyone growing anything themselves?

smokester:

I planted a farm load of stuff last year and all I got back was about 5 tomatoes the size of peanuts (small peanuts at that).

I thought I might just build wooden trough like boxes to grow stuff in this year, as I might be able to keep the slugs, beetles (damn those scousers), greenflies and cats away from what I plant that way.

What do you do Skadi to combat the wildlife?

xtopave:
OMG, Skadi, that's wonderful, congratulations!!
I've mostly grown herbs: oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary. Other than that (and only for my daughter to see them grow) I've planted tomatoes, onions and carrots. The herbs are relatively easy to grow bc plagues don't tend to attack them. Leaf vegetables are another story.  :-\

Skadi:

--- Quote ---What do you do Skadi to combat the wildlife?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---The herbs are relatively easy to grow bc plagues don't tend to attack them. Leaf vegetables are another story.
--- End quote ---

Those are two of the reasons I've never planted more.. The only time I planted carnations rabbits ate them.. And I'm also worried about more delicate plants for lots of reasons. For those types of plants when possible I'm going to try and grow smaller versions of them like broccolini instead of broccoli.. and mesclun instead of head lettuce. That way if something fails, I can start it again, and/or stagger plantings.  Seeds that squirrels are more likely to dig up, I'm going to start in side and transplant.

--- Quote ---I thought I might just build wooden trough like boxes to grow stuff in this year
--- End quote ---

That's how I ususally grow things. It was possible for me to do this year because I now have a pickup to haul wood and compost. And, the county I live in has all the free compost available that its residents can haul. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get my soil ready for planting stage... I wouldn't have been able to afford that much material. It would have been irresponsible of me not to take advantage of the compost.

goldshirt*9:
rotate the bed of veg.
carrots are easy in raised bed.
radishes are easy to grow as well, plant cut and grow lettuce as you cut / rip off what you want and they still grow. ;D

a beer trap is a easy way to keep the slugs at bay  ;) if you any left  :D
http://www.slugoff.co.uk/slug-solutions/killing-slugs/beer-trap.html

cover your beds in chicken netting bent and fixed to keep rabbits at bay.

i have had a  allotment and have grown many things.
i do love gardening.

ensure lavender / rosemary / thyme  is grown . if only for the scent  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version