General Category > Chaos

Insane Saga of New Dog.

(1/5) > >>

8ullfrog:
We lost Pikachu several months ago, it was agonizing. He contracted some disease, we suspect leptospirosis, but he could not keep in water or food, he was constantly voiding. It was cruel to prolong that. The vets convinced Mom that euthanasia was the kindest option.

It destroyed Mom.

My Aunt on the other side of the country fosters small dogs, and the house was feeling overly full. One of the fosters hit that sweet spot in temperament and disposition that my Aunt decided he was perfect for mom.

Mom had a friend who was flying to the area my Aunt lives in for a business conference, and she offered to fly the dog back.

My Uncle accidentally called the rescue organization instead of the friend, and the rescue organization FORBADE the dog from being adopted out of said area, and said some particularly nasty things about California.

So that got kiboshed.

My Aunt decided "golly the rescue organization" and started working on alternatives. There was an unexpected death in the family, that Mom had decided to fly out for the funeral.

American Airlines cancelled her ticket.

My Aunt decided to use a Veteran based dog transport company to send the dog cross country via van.

In Texas, the dog transporter LOST THE DOG, and decided to continue on his route, (Multiple dogs in van) rather than make any attempt at finding the dog.

My Uncle, still feeling guilty about the errant phone call, went full Ace Ventura, and managed to track down the dog. He had a hell of a time talking the people that found the dog out of giving him up, they wanted to keep the dog.

The transporter further put himself on my bad side by not letting the dog out of the crate between Texas and California. I sure as golly couldn't hold my bladder that long, and I don't blame the dog.

So I had to carry a teeny tiny dog in a crate sized for dobermans to the apartment, and got to pay the transporter $500 for the privilege.

Needless to say "Thank you" was not in my vocabulary.

The dog has certainly cemented his reputation as an escape artist. If a car door in the alley opens, his ears pop up like a fox.

Mom has lit up like a light bulb, she is so much happier now.

The dog is affectionate, and actually enjoys being groomed. Mom gave him a bath, and brushes him like a little princess, while he preens.

It's weird having a nice dog. I'm still wired for my mean dog.

I know the world is on fire, but I'll still gladly take the quiet life. These complications are no fun.

American airlines also reinstated the ticket without telling mom, just pulled the $500 back out of her bank account, so she's still going out to the East Coast to visit family.

I hope nothing crazy happens with the dog while she is away.

smokester:
Ahh, the pitter patter of tiny feet.

Congrats on acquiring a decent and loving pet. I own a cat so I have no idea what that must feel like.

6pairsofshoes:
What a crazy adventure that little dog had, getting to your house.  Given all the twists and turns, it must have been meant to be.  I'm glad it's cheered your mom.  I know that pets are really crucial to mental health.  I was so much happier when I found my first parakeet.  After she died, I waited 6 months for another one, and he was a real charmer, also.

It sounds like the dog adores your mother and will probably be relatively easy to care for while she's away.  It will also be a good chance for the two of you to bond separately.  So, congratulations on the new ray of sunshine.

Beatrix:

--- Quote from: smokester on July 09, 2021, 03:26:20 PM ---Ahh, the pitter patter of tiny feet.

Congrats on acquiring a decent and loving pet. I own a cat so I have no idea what that must feel like.

--- End quote ---
Exactly my sentiment.  I wouldn't even enjoy a nice animal as much as I do when my cat forbade me or anyone to pet her. 
8ully, that was a captivating tale.  Sounds like a movie about a dog just trying to get through.

8ullfrog:
Mom is off to the East Coast for a celebration of life (The deceased hated funeral homes and made his wishes clear)

The dog has known "something is up" all day.

He threw a tantrum when I fed him, shook his food all over the kitchen. Then he realized what he did. So now dinner is a where's waldo quest.

When I came to see what the noise was about, he gave me a look like "I can't believe I was that stupid".

Good news is he did eat the food. I hope he behaves on his walk.
{He did not}

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version