General Category > Food and Drink

Thanksgiving and other feast days

<< < (2/3) > >>

6pairsofshoes:
I just finished baking a batch of what are called around here "Pecan dainties" basically shortbread with pecans rolled in powdered sugar.  They're addictive.  Someone gave me an old workhorse of a Sunbeam Mixmaster from the 1950's and it is pretty heavy duty.  It's a good deal easier than mixing by hand.  They're rolled into small marble sized balls, cooked at low heat for about a half hour and rolled in the confectioner's sugar right as they are cooling.  They keep well.  I'm shipping these off in the next day or so as they are dangerous to keep in the house.

The next thing is the rolled cutout sugar cookies.  It's backbreaking work and takes forever.  But nobody else in the family has the time or patience to produce them, so I am elected by default.

6pairsofshoes:
Ha!  It's 2 years later and I'm just about to bake more of the pecan dainties.  The cutout sugar cookies are just too much, so I'm casting about for a different cookie recipe (biscuits you call them, I think) to flesh out the boxes and tins of cookies I'll send to relatives.  I'm thinking of maybe some orange shortbread with bittersweet chocolate threads drizzled over them, or some snickerdoodles.  Honestly, I usually just make chocolate chip cookies at home.  Oatmeal raisin don't keep as long so I'm kind of thinking of a cookie with a decent shelf life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

smokester:
It's odd that I actually trained as a pastry chef after leaving school, but I am not particularly good at cooking pastry dishes. I think it's because the process is too finite and precise, and leaves little room for creative licence which is now I usually cook.

I eat biscuits like a pro, though.

6pairsofshoes:

--- Quote from: smokester on December 17, 2023, 06:37:49 AM ---It's odd that I actually trained as a pastry chef after leaving school, but I am not particularly good at cooking pastry dishes. I think it's because the process is too finite and precise, and leaves little room for creative licence which is now I usually cook.

I eat biscuits like a pro, though.

--- End quote ---

Ha!  I can put them away on occasion, too.  A neighbor gave me a carton of egg whites and other than whipping up a remorse omelette with them (like the one Danny DeVito orders in "Get Shorty"), I thought I'd prefer trying to make some cookies, maybe some coconut macaroons, with it.  There's a recipe with the coconut part sitting on a little pad of bittersweet chocolate.  That sounds worth an experiment, so that's next on the list.

6pairsofshoes:
I baked 2 batches today and it gave me new admiration for my grandmother's stamina.  She'd bake tons of them and I was wiped out after only 2 batches.  They're really fussy little cookies that have to be rolled into the shape of a marble, baked at a low heat and then rolled in confectioner's sugar.  My back isn't what it used to be.  I might try the coconut macaroons tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version