Author Topic: Off/On ramp beggars....  (Read 35928 times)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
Off/On ramp beggars....
« on: May 23, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »
I dont know how the laws vary from state-to-state, country-to-country in regards to people who stand on the on/off ramps of highways and beg for money but in Indiana it is EVERYWHERE! I am torn between my republican upbringing and my democratic sensitivity when it comes to this issue. I have seen countless tv news reports on people like this begging, just to take advantage of the average Joe/Jane and separating them from their money. But I wonder, are there people that are doing this because they genuinely need the money to survive? The first thing that gets me going in the opposite direction from "compassion" is when they are smoking while asking for money. A pack of smokes is like $5.00.....wouldnt that $5.00 be better used toward their goal of getting a meal or a place to sleep.

I really would like to hear peoples opinions. Not asking anyone to pass judgement on mankind just say what you really think about this scenerio.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 11:33:15 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline davidsolomon83

• Neandertal
  • Le Grand Bleu
Re: Off/On ramp beggars....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
Where I am I have seen such folks  :-\ many of them  :-\ . Usually people associate Mexicans or other South Americans with this activity, I dont know what type of people in Indiana make the majority of this but, logic and religion has taught me this:

" There are people who just want easy money, some because they dont want to do hard work, others who use it for drugs; smoking, liquor, other serious stuff. We shouldnt help this type, for their own sake. At the same time, I myself have seen people who genuinely deserve help. I have helped them and I would like everyone who can, to do the same. The crux is, to discern between who is genuine and who isn't, and that is something most of us in our busy lives dont take the time or trouble to find out.  :-\  :-[ "

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »
Begging is against the law in the Philippines.  So is giving them money.  Doesn't seem to stop anyone.

A lot of syndicates use children to beg and have them turn over their money.  If the children don't make any, they don't get fed or they get hurt.  Some have been known to be deliberately mutilated to evoke pity and more cash.

Sad, no?

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »
I dont know what type of people in Indiana make the majority of this but

It's white/caucasian males primarily. You will see a white female on occasion but not often.

A lot of syndicates use children to beg and have them turn over their money.  

Holy crap! That is so disgusting.....I have seen people have a dog by their side for added effect but even then I think it is a ploy. When is it legit? It's America, I dont think we are allowed to ban it......but I think that would be the way to go.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
How can you tell who is who though?

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
I dont mind helping people, but these days its hard to distinguish who is who and what they are up to .
I generaly stay away from panhandlers since I found out in an interview how much they actualy make.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
How can you tell who is who though?
you can't. trust your gut when deciding on what to do, it's the thought that counts afterall.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline busterone

• Australopithecus
  • Awaholi Gihli
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:05:26 PM »
Here in North Carolina, it is generally white, raggedy looking males. Often, they have an extremely skinny crackhead looking woman sitting within 10 feet of them for sympathy I suppose.

About 5 years ago, I needed a couple of laborers for a day to help me with a project i was working on. I drove to the local corner where there are always at least 2 or 3 standing there with their "I will work for food" signs. I offered the guy 12 dollars an hour for about 6 hours work- painting the outside of a friend's house, a wooden fence, and a separate garage.  12 dollars an hour tax free cash is not a bad pay for this area, especially if you have nothing. The guy yelled and cursed at me-  ;D

he said- "get the hell out of here. I make more in an hour standing here than what you are offering!"

After that, I have never offered any help to anyone on the corners or ramps again.  :)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »
I tend to ignore them, regardless of whether I feel they are in earnest need or not.  We have programs set up all over the country to help those in need.  I find my money is better spent giving to the organized groups rather than individuals.
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:17:28 PM »
you can't. trust your gut when deciding on what to do, it's the thought that counts afterall.

I think Im with Dweez on this one. I only make 2 donation per year and they are both to organizations that I can hold accountable. I hate being so untrusting but its where history has brought us.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:06:14 PM by ohcheap1 »

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
I avoid giving money.  I will give whatever food I have with me.

The CP once had the experience of having the biscuit he was opening being grabbed from him by a beggar child.  I told the CP to let it go.  He didn't understand until later.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
cp?  ???

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »
Crown Prince. ;D

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 02:14:40 AM »
so i see  :D

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 02:51:03 AM »
As you should. ;)

It's sad though what some of the kids have to go through.  Some are even taken from the provinces and brought to the city just to beg.