Author Topic: Off/On ramp beggars....  (Read 35925 times)

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
Re: Off/On ramp beggars....
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »
That is sad.  :-\
I've seen my share of unfortunate circumstances having lived in Egypt for 3 years,
it truly is sad that there is such a huge gap between success and poverty. Not for its
own sake but for the sake of those who have to put up with the hardships and what have you.
It's a sad world, run by an even sadder race.
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 03:13:52 AM »
I've always wanted to see the pyramids.

Are they as awesome as they appear?

Are you suggesting we should be run by aliens instead so that they might eradicate poverty, hunger, war and such?

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 03:19:48 AM »
I've always wanted to see the pyramids.

Are they as awesome as they appear?

Yeah, they are. They're big, and yellowish. Each block can weigh anywhere from 2-7 tons. Pretty amazing.
Makes me wonder if they were hiring kryptonians to do the manual labor. (DC humor :P)

Are you suggesting we should be run by aliens instead so that they might eradicate poverty, hunger, war and such?

hmm,.....not necessarily........
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 03:21:20 AM by hmed2390 »

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 03:27:47 AM »
You must hate yourself for being outbid. :P

Now if that pyramid were made of beer bottles, the King's collection a few years back could qualify.

Had a beggar child approach me and asked for five pesos to buy food.  Gave the money and watched the kid gamble it away.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 03:30:56 AM »
You must hate yourself for being outbid. :P

;D ;)

Now if that pyramid were made of beer bottles, the King's collection a few years back could qualify.

:o
Had a beggar child approach me and asked for five pesos to buy food.  Gave the money and watched the kid gamble it away.

:-\

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 03:48:29 AM »
A pack of smokes is like $5.00.....wouldnt that $5.00 be better used toward their goal of getting a meal or a place to sleep.

You can double that cost here in the U.K, on account of the gubmint taxing the hell out of them, firstly to demonise smokers as they are themselves holier than thou, and appartently to put that tax into other services like the NHS that the smokers will need when they are old and without lungs - doesn't work as all you do is make one element of society pay, whereas people that are obese or ravaged by drug abuse do not.

As for beggars in general.  When we got the influx of Eastern European immigrants this topic raged throughout the country.  The reason was that some of them used to use their babies to summon up sympathy (by having them laid accross them half dead by the looks of it) and no one could really get their heads around that.  We had been used the winos, drug addicts and the homeless asking for some change, all of which could be qualified and money given if you were inclined to do so.  The emotional blackmail technique made more people wanting the whole concept of begging to be further outlawed and policed.

For me, when I had an abundance of disposable income I used to chuck money at anyone who asked for it, especially the winos as they would make good use of it.  Now I'm skint I search the streets to find them and ask for it back..
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »
Pay close attention to some of these panhandlers, tho, especially the ones who wait on on/off-ramps.

I've come across several who I think are 'professional' - meaning they spend their days panhandling, but aren't really in need of money. You can make a pretty good living on panhandling (as long as your dignity isn't valued, I suppose).

But I look at what these people are wearing and ask them questions about it.

Say that's a pretty nice watch you've got on there...
How do you keep those sneakers so white living on the street?
Wouldn't that ring you're wearing feed you for a few days?

As far as regular homeless people - y'know the ones with that authentic smell? - I tell them they should say 'please' when asking for a handout. Instead of just holding out your hand and repeating "Change? Change? Change?" Say "May I have some change please?" and when they do, I give them some change. It's very refreshing to hear them behind me as I walk away using 'please' with other people.

But if they ask for money for food, I'll take them inside the fast food joint and order them some food, so I know they'll eat and not spend it on booze or whatever.

However, there was ne guy I gave money to simply because his sign said:

"I'll only spend it on beer."

That level of honesty deserves a reward.  :D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »
A college in this area did a study back in 1999.
 They sent out students to pose as beggars to find out how much one can actualy make.
After six months of this ( and yes, they had the city  councel's permission to do this since it was an experiment) they asertained that a beggar can make a decent living.
One guy actualy made 100 dollars a day on average, the lowest earner was a girl who only made 70 dollars a day.
 I know many people that make only 65 or so a day with a legit job.
Also, there are programs that will house a homeless person in a hotel for several weeks at a time. All the prson has to do is reaply every few weeks.
Also there is welfare, all you need is a mailing address, like a po box. And being homeless gets you instant results with that program with a base minimum of 200 dollars a month in aid for food.
 Sooo,, taking into account all the free gimme they can get from the govornment, and the amount they can get off of people from begging, being a beggar isnt too bad of a job if you can call it that.
Damn, they make more than a hard working member of society can make on the average.
hmm,,wheres them old trousers of mine? lmao

By the way, this study was done in Ft Smith Arkansas by U of A Fort Smith.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »
But even after knowing that, if we have something to give...we should.
--dweez

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 02:32:27 AM »
But even after knowing that, if we have something to give...we should.

I agree. Judging the majority based on a minority is hardly just. Not to mention the fact that we don't really have the authority to judge.It all comes down to generosity and good instinct. The rest is all good intent and knowing that you as a person are willing to help those in need.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 08:50:07 PM »
Question is, how many are there that really need it?
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 10:18:03 PM »
This really is a tough call to make. That is one of the reasons that I started this thread. I thought maybe I was the only grouch that felt taken advantage of when it came to this group of people. I still think that I can tell when need is legitimate.......hopefully Im right.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 03:10:29 AM »
This really is a tough call to make. That is one of the reasons that I started this thread. I thought maybe I was the only grouch that felt taken advantage of when it came to this group of people. I still think that I can tell when need is legitimate.......hopefully Im right.

I think the legitimate needy far outweigh professional panhandlers so you'd be unlucky to be taken as you put it.  Also there is no obligation to give to these people so the deed is its own reward whether you have given to the wrong person or not.  You freely give a 75% markup on goods that you buy in a store, and that money eventually ends up in the coffers of the shareholders and they definitely don't need it, they are simply considered to be entrepreneurs which is another term for someone ripping you off.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 12:01:41 PM »
I think the legitimate needy far outweigh professional panhandlers so you'd be unlucky to be taken as you put it.  Also there is no obligation to give to these people so the deed is its own reward whether you have given to the wrong person or not.

Really Smokes, you would have to be in the states to make this call from my stand point. I think there is a large difference between the 2 countries on this subject.  Ultimately you are right in this statement however
Also there is no obligation to give to these people so the deed is its own reward whether you have given to the wrong person or not.
But in my present financial situation I feel like I could be one of those people and I woulld feel taken advantage of if I were to give money to someone who turned around and got into their nice car and went home to there house that cost more than mine, You should watch some "Dateline" episodes that discuss this topic, 
Eyeopening.

Offline atomicrabbit

• Australopithecus
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
yknow... this topic got me a bit fired up.

I live just outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada and in the city I live, there is this indian lady (maybe 30-35 yrs old) who walks around a large intersection near my house with a sign that reads "I have 3 children and no job. Please help blah blah (same bullsh*t)". Now there's ABSOLUTELY no reason why she wouldn't be able to get a job at a local coffee chain or almost anywhere for that matter. There are so many jobs out there that don't require any skills (assuming she never went to school).

What bugs me even more is whenever I see this woman, she's wearing really dressy clothes (a blouse and dress or some variation of nice clothes -- usually a nice dress at the least) with a very nice (expensive looking) purse around her shoulder as she begs people for money. THAT IS B.S!!! Especially if you have 3 kids, which who knows, that could be a lie. It just get's me so worked up.

Another instance I saw, was getting off a highway on an offramp, there was a guy begging for money. As I pull up to the stop light, I see him, then look just past him across the street and what do I see, a giant 10 ft sign on the side of an office supply store that said "NOW HIRING!". I didn't have a chance to tell the guy to turn his a$$ around before the light turned green, but it royally pissed me off.

Now I've given extra change to homeless people, but I usually don't unless they actually look like they're IN-NEED... but when I come across situations like the above 2, they don't deserve my charity or anyone's charity!

These people simply don't want to work normal jobs. I don't believe begging is a job of any sorts. It should be illegal! period! There is so much wasted opportunities out there for these people, that they are just too lazy to take.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:39:25 AM by atomicrabbit »