Author Topic: Copyright infringement news you may of missed  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Diabolico

• Neandertal
Copyright infringement news you may of missed
« on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:01 PM »
Randomly browsing some sites and came across some weird articles, first is:

Quote from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7568642.stm
A British woman who put a game on a file-sharing network has been ordered to pay damages to the game's creator.

Topware Interactive has won more than ?16,000 following legal action against Isabella Barwinska of London, who shared a copy of Dream Pinball 3D.

Three other suspected sharers of the game are awaiting damages hearings.

The test case could open the floodgates for litigation against thousands of other Britons suspected of sharing the game.

The odd thing about this case, is the fact that, Robert Guiness, of Hull ran a market stall selling pirate films and games, got off completely scot free (120 hours of community service), whilst, Isabella Barwinska, got a ?16k fine for distributing a single game.

Smiling for the camera, with two thumbs up, a DVD pirate walked free from court despite his part in an illegal trade at notorious Walton Street Market.

Robert Guiness, 44, of Astwood Avenue, east Hull, produced and traded DVDs, CDs and computer games at the west Hull market, which has been plagued by criminal activity in recent years.

He was found in possession of more than 15,000 discs containing films, music and games, which he had illegally downloaded.

Hull Crown Court heard the haul represented an estimated loss to the music and film industry of more than ?144,000.

I don't like the article at all, ?144,000 losses? 15,000 discs? It doesn't add up

If anyone remembers Oink and what happened. The Cleveland police force was involved in the arrest of the owner, Alan Ellis. There is a news blackout, so there isn't much information. However I did find a disturbing article about some Police forces and music licences. Licences that are legally required for music to be played in the workplace (plus bars, community centres), anywhere that has over five people that can hear the music(?).

Some Police forces haven't paid for a licence, to the PRS for Music (Performing Rights Society). Why I mentioned Oink, is because the Cleveland police force and BPI (with a BBC news crew who reported it wasn't much different from raiding terror suspects [sic]) raided Alan Ellis dwelling on the morning of the 23rd of Oct 2007.

Quote from: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/2336965.lancashire_police_face_music_over_copyright/
LANCASHIRE police's Chief Constable is heading for a High Court show-down in a row over playing music in police stations.

Music licensing authority the Performing Right Society (PRS) has accused Steve Finnigan of infringing copyright by allowing music to be played in police stations throughout the county.

The links to the respective articles are the quote from's ;). Corrections are welcome :).
Quote from: Brian Moore
Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
Re: Copyright infringement news you may of missed
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:08:15 PM »
In America, they concider downloaders and file sharing as a form of terrorism, even though the US Supreme court ruled that file sharing is NOT illeagal in the States.
 Although its not a crime, people there are still subject to civil suits from the companies, even though a few games that were in a case were freeware.
 No one that is well off financialy and can afford a decent attorney ever gets nicked,, just the poor that cant afford a decent defense.

Go figure?
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:42:08 PM »
Robin, can I get some links to were the US Supreme court ruled it not illegal to file share copywritten material?  Everything I've heard on the matter says it is illegal.
--dweez

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 04:14:12 AM »
Those fines are pure fare collection.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:50:44 AM »
Robin, can I get some links to were the US Supreme court ruled it not illegal to file share copywritten material?  Everything I've heard on the matter says it is illegal.

Ill have to find them,, it was talked about on CNN a couple years ago.
I remember it well since I wond ten bucks off of my brother over it.

Not to mention, if it WERE illeagal,, why is Limewire , Morpheus and the like not taken off the net?
I keep my standards low.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:21 PM »
A British woman who put a game on a file-sharing network has been ordered to pay damages to the game's creator.

Topware Interactive has won more than ?16,000 following legal action against Isabella Barwinska of London, who shared a copy of Dream Pinball 3D.

Three other suspected sharers of the game are awaiting damages hearings.

The test case could open the floodgates for litigation against thousands of other Britons suspected of sharing the game.

I remember reading about this at the time.

The game sold only about 800 copies in the first week, but there was 6,000 or it could have been 12,000 downloads of the game.  :-\

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 12:37:55 PM »
Damn, I may have to retract my statement, I cant find anything proving that the supreme court said it was legal in the states.

I DO know that the people prosecuted were the ones that didnt have money for a valid defense , or were children.
I keep my standards low.