Author Topic: Keep domain with Godaddy or move it  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Diabolico

• Neandertal
Keep domain with Godaddy or move it
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:17:07 PM »
Just bought a domain from eBay for a few quid, its currently with GoDaddy. I heard some scare stories about GoDaddy taking domains away from customers for no reason.

Anybody heard of that? Was going to transfer it to Domainsite.

Should I keep it with GoDaddy, or be safe and transfer it? Thanks in advance.
Quote from: Brian Moore
Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
Re: Keep domain with Godaddy or move it
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
I heard about Godaddy messing with people in the past. Never used it myself though.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
I am allergic to GoDaddy.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »
Yeah, I think I got that alergy too
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
Just bought a domain from eBay for a few quid, its currently with GoDaddy. I heard some scare stories about GoDaddy taking domains away from customers for no reason.

Anybody heard of that? Was going to transfer it to Domainsite.

Should I keep it with GoDaddy, or be safe and transfer it? Thanks in advance.

I don't understand if GoDaddy killed domains that they were just the registrar of, or domains that they also hosted? 

If they are your registrar and host and you are planning to break a copyright law or your terms of service with what you have on your site, then it looks like having GoDaddy are not advisable as they do not seem to negotiate with cases like that.

If they are just your registrar, then I can't see how they could kill your domain for stuff hosted by another host, unless instructed to be a legal decision elsewhere.

Personally, I use this company as my registar and I am already a reseller, and could host your domain if you need it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Diabolico

• Neandertal
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 07:01:49 PM »
I don't understand if GoDaddy killed domains that they were just the registrar of, or domains that they also hosted?

The register of.

If they are your registrar and host and you are planning to break a copyright law or your terms of service with what you have on your site, then it looks like having GoDaddy are not advisable as they do not seem to negotiate with cases like that.

Didn't see any mention of that, some stated the domains were cancelled, but didn't state a reason. I came across some fora with a category about GoDaddy and some website called NoDaddy.

Its odd that most didn't state reasons, or how it happened. GoDaddy is my host, but I wouldn't transfer domains to them as example the 60 day lock down on domain transfer is against Icann rules, which makes me think what else are GoDaddy doing, which goes against the Icann rules.

Personally, I use this company as my registar and I am already a reseller, and could host your domain if you need it.

Thanks for the offer :), got an account with UKReg, 123-Reg, Name.com, Domainsite :o. The TLD is .com, Name.com and Domainsite are cheaper ;).

14 .com's (Domainsite)
2 .co.uk (123-Reg)
1 .org.uk (123-Reg)
1 .in (Domainsite)
1 .im (Name.com)

Haven't heard from the seller, sent a note with the payment.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 07:05:57 PM by Diabolico »
Despite the tons of examples and docs, mod_rewrite is voodoo. Damned cool voodoo, but still voodoo.

Offline Diabolico

• Neandertal
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:34:04 AM »
Finally heard back from the seller, received a change of registrant pending email. Was going through the procedure and came across this, I have to agree to these before the transfer can begin:

I have read and agree to the Domain Name Change of Registrant Agreement. I understand and agree that, by confirming this Change of Registrant, I am authorizing GoDaddy.com, Inc. to reject all requests to transfer this domain to another registrar for a 60-day period.

I understand that, if I want to transfer this domain to another registrar during this 60-day period, I should decline this Change of Registrant, and I should instead make arrangements to transfer the domain to the new registrar and make any necessary changes after the domain has been transferred.

*Edit: Frick, the extra services are a waste of time. Who in the right mind would pay for registration protection, deluxe registration, privacy (free at Name.com and fifty cent per year at Domainsite, GoDaddy privacy $8.99 per year).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:56:39 AM by Diabolico »