Author Topic: stray cats : if I feed them will they be friendly?  (Read 12658 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
stray cats : if I feed them will they be friendly?
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
currently there are about three cats that hang out in our backyard a black cat and two grey cats, the black cat and one of the grey cats are very skittish and they will run away if  i open hte backyard door.  but the younger cat will stay, so i threw some piece of chicken outside and it ate it. do you think over time it will allow me to pet s/he? 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: stray cats : if I feed them will they be friendly?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:47:50 AM »

I used to feed some feral cats that lived in a woods nearby to where I used to live, and they showed no signs of ever being interested in any kind of contact.  There were some strays among them that grew bolder and more affectionate the more they were fed, but as they were probably stray though be mistreated, I always assumed that they could turn nasty at any time and didn't attempt to get too close to them.  Besides which, there were always kittens nearby which made all the cats edgy around humans.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:19:56 AM »
I think it varies from cat to cat. I've had some feral cats that eventually became my pets and others that would only let me get within a few feet of it. If they are male cats you may want to reconsider if you want them hanging around. Stray males tend to spray everything.
I may not have my Cherry, but I still have the Box it came in.

Offline Geemonster

• Banned for all eternity
  • Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:26:54 AM »
Ones that are older or have been abused will be harder to interact with.
  Just be there for him/her and regular feeds,try cooing to the Cat and just let it happen over time.
   We have in our neighbourhood a Cat i call the Lion Cat,as he's so large physically,he won't come to me yet,but i can get closer now,without him running away.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:28:54 AM by Geemonster »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »
My Mom is a champion at getting "wild" cats to hang with her but it indeed takes ALOT of time. Sometimes years.

But to answer your question I do think the younger kitty will warm up to you. Try sitting in your yard, preferably on the ground at his/her level, and just be still. Bring a snack for the cat and when it get closer to you, by its own choice, feed it. That will certainly speed things up getting to know your new friend.

Oh...and if you are trying to get Brian Setzer to come to you put out a bottle of Jack and he'll be purring in a minute. ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:46:22 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:06:43 AM »
currently there are about three cats that hang out in our backyard a black cat and two grey cats, the black cat and one of the grey cats are very skittish and they will run away if  i open hte backyard door.  but the younger cat will stay, so i threw some piece of chicken outside and it ate it. do you think over time it will allow me to pet s/he?

Almost same story I was befriended by one of them. It's really true cats do choose you so I discovered. It started about 12 weeks ago this 1 cat started sitting outside the kitchen window looking up with that pathetic look. To cut it short   I started throwing out leftovers now it sleeps in the house. I named it stylus  and it responds to the name now. Its full of love and constantly purrs. I have never met a cat so affectionate so decided she can stay. But I make sure she is out all day and let her in at night time.   Here's a pic i took of her ain't she cute.

Stylus 2010

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 08:09:28 AM »
She is adorable. Beware the "out all day" because it could lead to the pitter-patter or little paws if your not careful.  :D

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:14:38 AM »
by "pitter-patter" or "little paws", I'm sure oc1 means kittens but it also applies to fleas.
--dweez

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:18:15 AM »
lol the first few times she picked up the nerve to climb in the window I got bites on my Leg and arms :( The last 5 weeks or so it's been fine. I thought it was a good idea to keep her outdoors daytime so she can slowly adjust to having a home again. I think she looked at me and thought yipeee I found a sucker  ;D

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 08:21:26 AM »
I think she looked at me and thought yipeee I found a sucker  ;D
Yep, you lot make the best parents.  :D Wait......the same thing happened to me about 8 years ago. And she still sleeps on me everynight.

by "pitter-patter" or "little paws", I'm sure oc1 means kittens but it also applies to fleas.
It could "Yes" but fleas can be handled simply with a treatment; kittens, not so much.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:24:06 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
thanks for all the advice ? when I find my camera I'll post some pictures .
But to answer your question I do think the younger kitty will warm up to you. Try sitting in your yard, preferably on the ground at his/her level, and just be still. Bring a snack for the cat and when it get closer to you, by its own choice, feed it. That will certainly speed things up getting to know your new friend.

the only problem with that is that the backyard is boxed in so the cats usually hang out on the ledge. but the young cat did come right  up to the backyard door to look inside , although it did run away when i got closer to the door. I'll get some cat treats and try to feed it. Also I'm taking care of my cousins cat and she is mean cat , she meows and hisses, is there anyway that I get her to stop hissing at me ?  I think shes really lonely now that my cousin is gone. and she wont even leave her room to roam the house.

lol the first few times she picked up the nerve to climb in the window I got bites on my Leg and arms :( The last 5 weeks or so it's been fine. I thought it was a good idea to keep her outdoors daytime so she can slowly adjust to having a home again. I think she looked at me and thought yipeee I found a sucker  ;D

I noticed she doesn't have a flea collar , do you use one of those liquid flea repellents?

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:30:37 AM »
Oral  once a month it's added to the cat's food & is absorbed into the bloodstream when a flea bites a cat................... I also put somw powder around the floor, so far it's working  ;)

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:34:52 PM »
Just feed them better than anyone else and sooner than you expected they are moving to your home.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 03:46:32 PM »
I?ve had 3 cats over the years and this one is reminding me there highly intelligent little critters.

Dogs have masters Cats have servants.  :D

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 06:42:13 AM »

Almost same story I was befriended by one of them. It's really true cats do choose you so I discovered. It started about 12 weeks ago this 1 cat started sitting outside the kitchen window looking up with that pathetic look. To cut it short   I started throwing out leftovers now it sleeps in the house. I named it stylus  and it responds to the name now. Its full of love and constantly purrs. I have never met a cat so affectionate so decided she can stay. But I make sure she is out all day and let her in at night time.   Here's a pic i took of her ain't she cute.

Stylus 2010

Stylus,cool name,nice kitty too.  :)

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »
Stylus,cool name,nice kitty too.  :)
kitty? :o :P
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
i fed the wrong cat, I shouldn't have favorites but I do , when i came back from the store today one of the cats was hanging out and I didn't have any  chicken so I gave it some regular cat food. the picture kind of sucks becaues  my phone doesnt have the zoom option. anyways

this is the kitten almost cat i fed today

right after this one ate , the one i had fed before showed up, but ran away when i went to put more food in the dish.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 07:01:05 PM by mishca09 »

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 10:14:46 AM »
Yeah, you might want to try using separate dishes, so no scents are lingering.
--dweez

Offline AlienBC

• Chief Sig Designer
  • Cro-Magnon
  • VIA
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2010, 03:52:07 PM »
and his running away is just reaction. When you think about it they must be on red alert 24-7 being strays....;)

Offline Geemonster

• Human
  • Diasfora's Misfit
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2010, 05:53:50 PM »
Maybe you could leave your door open,only when that particular Cat shows up.
   If you make him/her feel welcome,it'll eventually maybe begin to trust you.
        Any idea how old it is,roughly?

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 10:48:49 PM »
Yeah, you might want to try using separate dishes, so no scents are lingering.

i think they maybe related because i put extra food out ( i didn't change the bowls) and he came back and ate the food.
and his running away is just reaction. When you think about it they must be on red alert 24-7 being strays....;)

true , i have hopes for the one with the blue eyes( thats the one i fed chicken pieces to) since he seems really curious.
Maybe you could leave your door open,only when that particular Cat shows up.
   If you make him/her feel welcome,it'll eventually maybe begin to trust you.
        Any idea how old it is,roughly?

i dont know how old it maybe but i tried to find a picture of a kitten/cat about the same size

I don't think I'm ready to invite kitten in just yet, I have to build up to it lol.

Offline Methiah

• Australopithecus
  • Follically Challenged
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 03:08:11 AM »
We accumulated a number of semi-domesticated/neglected cats and a couple of their wild offspring over a few years. One only went so far with level of trust while its sister took up residence on top the fridge and let you pet it, well except me, they hated me. I guess they didn't like being trapped, grabbed, caged and spayed.