Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 354090 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1950 on: January 11, 2023, 09:56:44 AM »
Ahem

Thanks for the preservation of comedy, dweez.  With some of c's posts, if you blink, you miss them.

We are watching the Swedish "The Bridge."  It's really very good.  One of the more wonderful comic incidents was a long drawn out drama with a woman desperate to get her elderly husband a heart transplant.  She was relentless in her efforts to secure a donor.  He finally has the procedure and is talking to her afterward.  She loves the guy, passionately.  So they have a conversation in which he basically breaks up with her, saying he wants a divorce, then goes into cardiac arrest and dies.  I just had to laugh.  I mean what kind of a scallywag does that?  "If I survive this heart transplant, I'd like a divorce, life is too short and I've not been happy with you for a long time."  What an utter lack of gratitude.  This is black comedy at its best. 

There's got to be a general theme surrounding heart transplants in dramas.

One Brazilian telenovela I was watching (English translation of title was something like "Between Body and Soul"), had a guy working as a stripper to save his beloved girlfriend by earning enough for her heart transplant.  Theme 2:  guy who desperately loves his wife, loses her to an accident, and her heart goes into the girlfriend of stripper.  Girlfriend recovers and then discovers boyfriend working as a stripper (he'd hid this from her, and I have no idea what occupation she thought he'd been practicing).  Is so despondent she tries to kill herself by walking into the ocean.  Widower finds her in this suicidal act and saves her from drowning.  They fall in love.  Stripper is out of luck.  I guess he has the consolation of many admiring fans of his work, at least.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1951 on: January 12, 2023, 08:06:03 AM »
Binge watching Yellowstone during my night shift

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1952 on: February 12, 2023, 09:11:24 AM »
Watching "One foot in the grave," again.  Maybe my brain is aging and I've forgotten much of it, but some of the shows are really funny.  Victor M. is such a curmudgeon.  It really does stand up to repeated viewings.

The other curmudgeonly series to spring to mind, perhaps a little earlier, is Fawlty Towers with Basil Fawlty as the brunt of everyone's jokes as he barrels through life blind with frustration.  I hear it's undergoing a reboot, and while I'm hopeful that it will be as good as the former series, it's hard to imagine how they can pull it off.  So many former cast members won't participate (for various reasons) and Basil's behavior was so outré, I doubt some of it could pass today's administrative concerns for avoiding racism, sexism, etc. in the dialogue.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1953 on: February 20, 2023, 03:35:09 PM »
I had to give in. I agreed to watch "Happy Valley" with my missus ...

We have actually just finished "Servant" made by apple TV and I happen to be one of the rare people who actually like Shyamalan. However, try as I might, I have no idea what exactly went on after we watched the last episode of the first series. I honestly don't have a scooby.

Maybe I should watch the other seasons.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1954 on: February 21, 2023, 07:42:18 AM »
We have actually just finished "Servant" made by apple TV and I happen to be one of the rare people who actually like Shyamalan. However, try as I might, I have no idea what exactly went on after we watched the last episode of the first series. I honestly don't have a scooby.

Maybe I should watch the other seasons.

I do like A Shyamalan movie, will try the series 👍👍

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1955 on: February 23, 2023, 12:54:05 AM »
Happy Valley isn't bad.  It was on here on public television.

I'm onto season 4 of The (Swedish) Bridge.  It's very good with the main character a woman detective on the spectrum, perhaps with Aspergers, that makes Doc Martin look like Prince Charming by comparison.  Still she's brilliant and her condition causes all kinds of people to misunderstand her or to try to take advantage of her or harm her.  She generally holds her own and earns respect and affection from those who work with her and understand her.  In short, she's "different."  Unlike Billions, it doesn't get stupid after a few seasons.

I need to catch up on Mayans MC, although it was headed in a pretty bleak direction during my last viewing.
What are you watching?

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1956 on: March 03, 2023, 10:05:58 AM »
Suburra, an Italian series kind of like the Sopranos only with better scenery.  Pretty good so far.  A trio of young men getting into deep trouble.

While we were watching last night we heard crazy screaming noises like a cat fight only more intense.  We walked out on to our porch to see two raccoons going at it, and they ran up a tree.  It was amazing.  I didn't know raccoons could climb trees.  Eventually one of them climbed down and slunk away.  The other was probably too scared.  It stayed up there.  They were full sized adults.  I am not sure what the basis of their dispute was, but it got pretty heated.  I've never seen them fighting before.  Pretty odd.  So it was like a real life Nature program interrupting our dull regular viewing of humans shooting each other.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1957 on: March 03, 2023, 10:46:26 PM »
So have finished
1883-brutal in a needed way, loved it but Hated the "American" ending.
1923 So different to 1883 and found it gripping, mainly the African journey.
Yellowstone - Never will I go to Montana.
Been told to watch the BBC "The English" so off i go.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1958 on: March 21, 2023, 01:18:23 AM »
Started watching Britannia on Amazon Prime.
Celts (Druids, Cantii, etc.) to Romans:  stay home.  Go back.
Romans to locals:  get bit.
Very stabby so far with random incantations and lots of chalk covered faces.  Remarkable cast including David Morrissey, Julian Rhind-Tutt and Zoe Wanamaker (We love you, Zoe Wanamaker!) among others.  It's hard to think this could suck with such a cast, but what do I know after one episode?

Anybody else seen this?  Have an opinion?

BTW: Suburra was a right downer.  Who'd a thunk it with such life affirming groups involved?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 01:21:09 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1959 on: March 21, 2023, 08:25:25 AM »
Started watching Britannia on Amazon Prime.
Celts (Druids, Cantii, etc.) to Romans:  stay home.  Go back.
Romans to locals:  get bit.
Very stabby so far with random incantations and lots of chalk covered faces.  Remarkable cast including David Morrissey, Julian Rhind-Tutt and Zoe Wanamaker (We love you, Zoe Wanamaker!) among others.  It's hard to think this could suck with such a cast, but what do I know after one episode?

Anybody else seen this?  Have an opinion?

BTW: Suburra was a right downer.  Who'd a thunk it with such life affirming groups involved?

I personally dont think producers can make anything earlier than Edwardian and certainly not premediaeval due to constraints of how people were with each other. NOT very PC.

Watching Slow horses atm.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 08:46:22 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1961 on: March 21, 2023, 09:06:41 AM »
I am reading Beowulf so kind of interested in checking out Roman Britain as a precursor to all these Swedes and Danes running amok on the island in later years.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1962 on: March 22, 2023, 08:17:23 AM »
I am reading Beowulf

Heavy going,  Would rather read Homer

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1963 on: March 22, 2023, 10:46:36 AM »
There sure are lots of different kinds of Danes:
Ring-Danes
West-Danes
South-Danes
and then there's Geats and god only knows what else.  Piles of Swedes.  It's a real Wikipedia fest of a book.

Britannia is like eating potato chips.  Kind of a stupid show but somehow I just keep watching it.  One thing that sort of strikes me as anachronistic is the use of Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man," as intro theme music.  That instrument, most likely originating in Persia, doesn't make an appearance in the British isles before maybe the 11th c. so using a song about the Hurdy Gurdy man coming along singing songs of love seems kind of a leap for a show that deals with  the advent of the Roman occupation of Britain nearly a millennium earlier.  Is it just easier to pay royalties for some nice flavorful '60's pop music than to employ a new imaginative composer to come up with something original?  Plus, I don't see much love in this show.  It's really pretty stabby.

We are also watching Boundless (Sin Límites) about Magellan.  It's not great tv but good if you like 15th c. marine adventures.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 10:56:23 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1964 on: March 23, 2023, 09:26:40 AM »
Slow Horses is heating up nicely. But all espionage series do