Author Topic: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?  (Read 354163 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What's your favourite TV program of the moment?
« Reply #1995 on: July 13, 2023, 11:59:36 PM »
I finished the second season of Baptiste last night and I thought the show ended as it should have.

For me, I found Julien Baptiste's character was so well written I could swear I've met him in real life. That's the feeling I came away with.

I liked that series, also.
Thanks, 8ully, for the warning about S2 of Jack Ryan.  It's already kind of like Harrison Ford movie lite.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1996 on: July 14, 2023, 05:29:21 PM »
It feels like they wanted to adapt clear and present danger, but either couldn't afford it, or felt the cold war aspects of the novel would not adapt to current day politics.

The motorcade assault was lifted wholesale.

The Ford movie actually makes you give a poo. The book is one of my favorite books ever, explaining to red blooded football Americans why we can't just kick doors in and deny responsibility. (Operation Reciprocity would be as illegal in the FICTIONAL United states as it is in the REAL United states.)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1997 on: July 14, 2023, 07:49:15 PM »
I'm enjoying Jack Ryan. I don't put too much into my TV watching. For me, it's to relax and turn off my brain. Of course, I'm famous for liking crap movies/shows. I've watched Battleship probably over 20 times and I only see that number increasing.
--dweez

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1998 on: July 14, 2023, 09:41:11 PM »
My mother used to turn on CBS and let the soap operas play, one after the next, for the entire afternoon.   Fortunately, I was in school most of the time and they relented at around 4 p.m. when I could watch the 4 o'clock movie where I was treated to reruns of stuff like Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein, House on Haunted Hill (with Vincent Price), and the usual run of B movies that often included spacemen or supernatural threats.  So I'm fine with trash tv.  Later, I'd watch As the World Turns because the actors seemed to love the show for its kitsch value.  Most of them lived in NYC and often would show up on Law and Order as guest actors.  I remember seeing one soap star walking down the street when I lived in Manhattan and it was kind of a weird experience.  He was oddly familiar, but, since I didn't know him, I left him alone.  He'd played an alcoholic doctor on one show, maybe The Edge of Night or something.  It must be strange to start a career as an actor and end up on a serial like that.

Jack Ryan needs to develop a sense of humor.  But, that aside, it's about what I expected and I'm grateful to have something to watch, given the current state of the entertainment industry with strikes, etc.  Harrison Ford is a good actor, but he has only one speed:  taciturn/serious.  So he's perfect for such a role.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #1999 on: July 15, 2023, 12:38:44 AM »
Harrison Ford can do humor. It's a dry, washed out humor, but it's there.
John Krasinski can do funny, he got a paycheck for quite a while for being funny.
I'm not sure John Krasinski's Jack Ryan is allowed to be funny.

I tried watching that Netflix show "The Recruit", but the mood whiplash was too brutal. His coworkers weren't pulling pranks, they repeatedly send him to die with a "Have fun in Obscuristan!"

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2000 on: July 15, 2023, 08:22:40 AM »
We started watching The Night Agent on Netflix which seems entertaining enough.

One thing that bothers me - and is a real sign of the times - is this possible love interest between the FBI agent and the witness. I realise that been a standard formula for time immemorial, but in the wake of cases like David Carrick and Wayne Couzens, shouldn't the law be completely removed from any kind of personal relationship with those involved in their assigned cases.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2001 on: July 16, 2023, 02:22:54 AM »
Season 2 of Jack Ryan is kind of heavy handed, even in comparison with S1.  What happened to the blonde doctor?  This show has nothing on The Bureau, the French version of this kind of thing and so much more masterfully done.  Anyway, we're in Venezuela now, and for pure comic effect, not a single building that they cite as the locale of the action is real.  The Palacio de Miraflores is god only knows what and the U.S. embassy ain't what they claim it is.  In short, we are in Never Never land here where architecture morphs to fit the budget of the filming company.  It's pretty entertaining to google the buildings that are on screen "Presidential Palace, of Miraflores, Caracas," and see that the real one looks nothing like what's depicted.

And one more thing.  I know that it's almost required that men wear beards now, but some of them would be better off skipping this obligatory fashion trend, and John Krasinski is among them.  My advice?  Try a trip to the barber.  It would do you both a world of good.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2002 on: July 16, 2023, 07:15:43 PM »
And one more thing.  I know that it's almost required that men wear beards now, but some of them would be better off skipping this obligatory fashion trend, and John Krasinski is among them.  My advice?  Try a trip to the barber.  It would do you both a world of good.

??? ???

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2003 on: July 16, 2023, 10:05:43 PM »
Cathy Mueller becomes Cathy Ryan. My guess is they realized they introduced that plot point too quickly.

Part of it was for the marketing, him getting scooped up by the helicopter at a WASP meeting seemed to feature heavily in the ads, along with "I'm an analyst!"

And now they're bent because that's a fixed plot point. A lot of what Jack Ryan does, he does for his wife and kids.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2004 on: July 16, 2023, 11:02:28 PM »
Ah.  I'm only a couple of episodes in.
Ryan seems to have transformed into a hothead -- a shift away from his Season 1 cerebral analytical mode. 

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2005 on: July 16, 2023, 11:52:58 PM »
Remember his background is the Marines. Low level analysts have to keep calm/quiet. After he's shown his worth, he can raise his voice a little now and then. :-D
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2006 on: July 17, 2023, 09:23:46 AM »
I bless'ed hated that rewrite.

In the books, Jack was in a transport helicopter with a bunch of other marines, and it turned over into the Chesapeake river.

He spent six months in traction.

That's what made Greer notice him.

Having Jack fall for some terrorist nonsense was incredibly bad writing.

Shadow Recruit was less insulting, but they made it look like a bless'ed video game.

(Turns out I remembered some parts wrong. His helicopter went down in Crete, not the Chesapeake.)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 09:27:00 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2007 on: July 17, 2023, 10:08:08 AM »
Thanks, 8ully, dweez.  I haven't read the books (and tbh, I'm not particularly drawn to that kind of literature) so this is helpful background info.  I think the Chesapeake would have done him in as those blue crabs show no mercy.  A friend worked for the Dept of Natural Resources and they got a call once from a woman who was pissed because the body of a drowning victim, who had been lost in the fall, suddenly floated to the top in the late spring (due to gasses caused by bacteria).  Her husband had been crabbing off of it.  She wasn't amused.  Crabs love dead flesh and they're not picky about what's on offer.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2008 on: July 18, 2023, 07:29:40 AM »
The best part ref Jack is the fact he did become president in the books.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2009 on: July 18, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
The best part ref Jack is the fact he did become president in the books.

Wow, that would be novel. 
One fun thing about amazon prime is that they can't synch the subtitles with the video feed so the Spanish and German speakers have some absurdly misplaced text under their dialogue.  Kind of like "Bad Lip Reading" on youtube.  I've watched lots of non-English speaking shows on prime with subtitles and never had this problem before.  I can't figure out why.  I regularly skip introductions, so this is puzzling.  The only thing I can come up with is that this is a primarily English language series so there's some mixup with the regular subtitles.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 10:54:34 AM by 6pairsofshoes »