Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434641 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #1110 on: December 01, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »
That I haven't been around the foras much in the past few days.  Work decided me to kick me in (dweez)nutz.  Found out Tuesday that I need to have 4 w2k8 servers up for a project and they wanted them "yesterday" and I didn't even know what hardware specs I needed (these are virtual machines and we already have a beefy VM environment so didn't have to actually order any hardware, just configure the VMs with the proper amount of CPUs and RAM).  Well I found out the specs needed and put in the request to our ESX (VMWare Virtualization) guy to get them set up.  I figured they'd be ready on Wed morning.  Come Wed., it turns out that he couldn't finish configuring them until he was allocated the proper space on our NAS, which he was waiting for the NAS people to set up.  Finally got everything kosher around 3:00PM and I finished up the installs around 12:45AM (worked from home after 6PM).  Not 15 minutes later, my cable (tv and internet, and effectively my cell phone cuz I use an ATT Micro Cell tower) went out.  It was back up in the morning but I still had to do follow up all day today.

Annnyyyyyway, that's why I haven't been around.
--dweez

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1111 on: December 01, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
Oh yeah, and I just smoked my last cigarette ever (*knock wood*) at 11:37PM Dec 1st.  Keep me honest guys.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1112 on: December 02, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »
you can do it  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1113 on: December 02, 2011, 10:45:22 AM »
Oh yeah, and I just smoked my last cigarette ever (*knock wood*) at 11:37PM Dec 1st.  Keep me honest guys.

Man of your calibre Dweezy should have no trouble giving up the nonsensical act that is 'smoking'. I did it in 96 and have never had the slightest urge to go back.

I'm watching you from now on.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1114 on: December 02, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
Well, I've already been bad but my resolve is still there.  Keep riding my ass like your high school prom date.  I need/want the accountability.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1115 on: December 02, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
'92 for me (11:59, 31 January).

... and I have the urge most every day. I am still a smoker, it has just been a long time between cigarettes.
classic quote

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1116 on: December 02, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »
'92 for me (11:59, 31 January).

... and I have the urge most every day. I am still a smoker, it has just been a long time between cigarettes.

Odd.  Complete opposite for me as I smoked from pre-ten until my thirties, but now can't stand the smell of them. In fact, i gag if I stand outside Asdas too long packing the shopping (along with the 50 smokers that have had to go 35 minutes without a ciggy due to having to buy stuff an' poo to eat).

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #1117 on: December 04, 2011, 06:29:17 AM »

Congratulations, dweez!!  :-*

Complete opposite for me as I smoked from pre-ten until my thirties, but now can't stand the smell of them.

My husband started smoking when he was 13 and quit when he was 20 yrs old (he remembers the exact date and time of day too). Unlike you the smell brings him back good memories but he doesn't have the urge to smoke anymore. Although he had it for many years.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1118 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
Much like Steve McCroskey in "Airplane"..."I picked the wrong time to stop sniffing glue."

I've "buckled" already.  Work has been good but hectic and it's easy to fall back on the routine.  But my resolve to quit is still strong and I'm getting right back on that horse.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1119 on: December 04, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
Much like Steve McCroskey in "Airplane"..."I picked the wrong time to stop sniffing glue."

I've "buckled" already.  Work has been good but hectic and it's easy to fall back on the routine.  But my resolve to quit is still strong and I'm getting right back on that horse.

I have to be honest Dweez, but in my opinion and experience you cannot give up smoking that way.  In fact, rountinely failing only makes it less likely that you'll ever give up.  You have to know when the time is right to give up as you'll know that the decision is final.  It's kind of like when you know a romance is truly over, you may think about her/him a lot and fantasise, but in your heart you know it's over and there is no going back.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1120 on: December 04, 2011, 03:03:30 PM »
I stopped by counting the minutes since my last cigarette. When I got to 60, I started counting the hours (then went back to minutes because there wasn't another around for ages). When I got to 600 I tried hours again. When I got to 1000 hours, I moved to days, and so on. The large numbers kept me going ("I can't go through another 1000 hours/ 100 days/ whatever so I'm going to keep going ...")

Nowadays I don't count any more, but I am perennially tempted.

Either way it appears by your math that you did indeed stick it out.  Had you fallen once, you would have continued all the way down to the bottom of the stairs, one bump at a time.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1121 on: December 29, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »
I ache , I have a headache , I need sleep , if this is getting old then shoot me now  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1122 on: December 31, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
Whether it's too early to break out the booze.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1123 on: December 31, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »
awaiting the wife to finish to finish work , then a little tipple

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1124 on: January 01, 2012, 07:19:41 AM »
just fitted a new cooker and if it could go wrong , it did go wrong  :o  :'( :'( :'( :'( looks good though.
wife off to work till 10 pm again.may have to finish the half bottle of red wine left.
 after a lovely slow cooked lamb casserole  :D :D