Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434552 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #1500 on: October 03, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
It's sometimes possible to get replacement keys from the laptop manufacturer but you can often get replacement keyboards via ebay fairly cheap.  And replacing a laptop keyboard is fairly simple now a day.
--dweez

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #1501 on: October 03, 2012, 07:26:19 AM »
It's sometimes possible to get replacement keys from the laptop manufacturer but you can often get replacement keyboards via ebay fairly cheap.  And replacing a laptop keyboard is fairly simple now a day.

I've showed it to a friend that works with computers and he said it's probably best to replace the whole thing. Thank you dweez.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #1502 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
I'm thinking about how funny it is that I celebrate that my daughter poops a bunch every day now. (Because she had us worried for a short time)

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #1503 on: October 03, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
Simple bodily functions are much appreciated both in newborns and really old people.  ;D

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #1504 on: October 03, 2012, 10:43:00 AM »
Lol they are very similar

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #1505 on: October 04, 2012, 01:16:36 AM »
 :) Nice.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #1506 on: October 04, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »
All the things I can possibly get done if Adrianna stays so content... I could finish moving in to the kitchen, clean it ans start clearing out the bedroom for painting. Possibly could even throw some laundry in! *fingers crossed*

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #1507 on: October 04, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
chekovsulu,
I would like to tell you that it's just history repeating itself because that it actually happens to me much of the time I am in line to do something important, but that would be to "look around" the actual problem and just comfort..  Which, the problem is that things fall into place to abruptly stop you from achieving what ya need to.  What are the things? Not that I am asking you to tell me, but to think about what the cause is, or causes.  That's the stuff that needs worked on. 
I never did watch Doctor Who.  I just keep to the same shows when I find them, I find it hard to venture very far from documentaries and raw and terrible humored cartoons.  I do love the vividly creative though.
p.s.  I never really liked the "that's life" statement, but only recently did I accept a personal use of "it is, what it is"  I am a big believer in perception being the only outcome. But really, just disregard the p.s. part, that is only there to impress some feeling of comfort as well.
end transmission.
El Fluffy wanted everything to be perfect, but it was difficult with all the other commitments.  In retrospect, El Fluffy needs to manage time better.

El Fluffy needs a cuddle.

El Fluffy recommends Doctor Who because it's silly, and silly is fun.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Once I bought a laptop keyboard off eBay, and it had so much hair in it.  So maybe make sure it's a clean one :D

Unless you're collecting DNA.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1508 on: October 04, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »
How much Windows 8 is pissing me off...but much of it is my system arrangement.  Before switching to Win8 from Win7, I had 3 computers set up, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Ubuntu, sharing one keyboard and mouse using a great application called Synergy.  I was also tunneling the Synergy communication using SSH as 2 of the 3 computers are on my work's open network.  Now with Win8, where everything is SOOOOOO different (that annoys me, but I was ready for it...my reason for switching already was so that I could learn it so as to help others later down the line), I've been trying to get the Synergy set up back working but haven't been successful.  That being said, I am forever typing on my Synergy keyboard when I mean to be typing on my laptop keyboard and it's starting to rub my last nerve.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #1509 on: October 04, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
All the things I can possibly get done if Adrianna stays so content...

Your daughter's name is Adrianna?  That name rocks!!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Autumn

• Account on hold
  • Cro-Magnon
  • No regrets
« Reply #1510 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »
Thanks! :)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1511 on: October 05, 2012, 12:07:09 AM »
Your daughter's name is Adrianna?  That name rocks!!

beautiful name
Adrianna is a Latin name, meaning "Person from Hadria" (a place in northern Italy).
it means loving cares for others

How much Windows 8 is pissing me off...but much of it is my system arrangement.  Before switching to Win8 from Win7, I had 3 computers set up, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Ubuntu, sharing one keyboard and mouse using a great application called Synergy.  I was also tunneling the Synergy communication using SSH as 2 of the 3 computers are on my work's open network.  Now with Win8, where everything is SOOOOOO different (that annoys me, but I was ready for it...my reason for switching already was so that I could learn it so as to help others later down the line), I've been trying to get the Synergy set up back working but haven't been successful.  That being said, I am forever typing on my Synergy keyboard when I mean to be typing on my laptop keyboard and it's starting to rub my last nerve.
what kvm switch do you use for Windows 7 and ubuntu, or does Synergy sort the windows 7 problem
of auto monitor detection and turning it off.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #1512 on: October 05, 2012, 05:06:09 AM »
I should have rationed the waffles.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #1513 on: October 05, 2012, 07:07:31 AM »
what kvm switch do you use for Windows 7 and ubuntu, or does Synergy sort the windows 7 problem
of auto monitor detection and turning it off.

Synergy is a software based km (KVM withouth the V part).  I still use a separate monitor for each computer.  Synergy just transmits the mouse's location, relative to the monitor boundary.  Once the mouse reaches a monitor edge and crosses over, Synergy then "switches" it to the adjacent monitor/computer.  Keyboard focus follows the mouse focus.

Below is a recent setup I use at work (I've swapped some monitors out recently.

Left to right, monitor-wise, I have Ubuntu, laptop and 2nd laptop monitor running Windows 7, white screen is Windows Server 2008 R2 (Running as the Synergy Server; this is the computer that the mouse and keyboard are physically attached to), and right-most monitor is Gentoo.  There are 2 mice there, but I just use the second for when I boot up the laptop as I haven't automated the SSH-tunnel I use for the Synergy connection so Synergy doesn't connect right away (and my laptop dock has been deactivating the touchpad).

I use an SSH tunnel because the Synergy communications is plain text.  For a setup where all the computers are behind a personal or home router, it isn't that big a deal but for my setup above, the 2 right computer are behind a router and the Ubuntu and Gentoo are on my works open network.

I've been using Synergy for 3-4 years now and even help out in the #synergy channel on the Freenode IRC network.  I honestly don't know how I ever functioned without it.

A few points of interest if you decide to try it out.  There is some bugginess.  For my linux installs, I try to use the 1.3.x level of the Synergy client while using the 1.4.x on my Windows install.  I tried using 1.4.x on the linux distros but experienced a well-known bug where the key-modifier keys (Caps Lock, Shift, Ctrl, Winkey/Super/AltGr, and Alt) sometimes get "sticky".  1.3.x on the linux ones resolved this issue for me greatly.  Different versions of the Synergy client can be used between the systems but, whereas 1.3.x clients connect fine to 1.4.x servers, 1.4.x clients won't connect properly to 1.3.x servers.

Ok, spiel over. ;)
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1514 on: October 05, 2012, 08:41:04 AM »
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
will look into.
want to run W7 and Ubuntu from 2 desktops and 1 of each mouse / keyboard