Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434625 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #1995 on: May 11, 2013, 08:44:33 AM »
Football is always worth watching even if it's bad footie:

Classic.

No.  I flew by the seat of my pants.

That's just mind boggling.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1996 on: May 11, 2013, 12:19:55 PM »
David beat Goliath in the 90th minute.  Priceless!!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #1997 on: May 12, 2013, 06:09:08 AM »
he he well done wigan

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #1998 on: May 12, 2013, 02:42:31 PM »
he he well done wigan

Word is that Mancini is gone and Pellegrini is in. 

About time too in my opinion.

Offline bubu

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #1999 on: May 13, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »
Word is that Mancini is gone and Pellegrini is in. 

About time too in my opinion.
It seems it is not true or so I read

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #2000 on: May 14, 2013, 03:36:31 AM »
I have a ton of cassettes that I accumulated in my teens that just been sitting in a box for decades. I hold on to them because I may want to play them eventually (actually playing cassettes instead of digital files), but I am afraid to play them because they have been sitting so long and they have a high probability of breaking/getting eaten. So basically it's a Catch-22. I want to keep them so I can play them later, but with each passing minute the probablility of them being destroyed increases, so I don't play them.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2001 on: May 14, 2013, 04:47:43 AM »
I have a ton of cassettes that I accumulated in my teens that just been sitting in a box for decades. I hold on to them because I may want to play them eventually (actually playing cassettes instead of digital files), but I am afraid to play them because they have been sitting so long and they have a high probability of breaking/getting eaten. So basically it's a Catch-22. I want to keep them so I can play them later, but with each passing minute the probablility of them being destroyed increases, so I don't play them.

My son plays my early DJ mixtapes from more years ago than the average man can count.  They play just fine although a little muggy in sound quality.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #2002 on: May 14, 2013, 07:00:37 AM »

I'm keeping them too!! And whenever I came across them I think... maybe later.

My son plays my early DJ mixtapes from more years ago than the average man can count.  They play just fine although a little muggy in sound quality.

About 300 yrs ago my husband used to be a DJ for a short while. Actually his first gift to me was a mixtape that of course I still keep. I remember Father & Son by Cat Stevens was in it. Man, I loved that song the second I've heard it.

Offline SACPOP

• Human
« Reply #2003 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
I have already reacquired lossless versions of all the music I had and I listen to the songs whenever I want, but I have some strange attachment to those stupid cassettes.
Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that once I start to play the first tape I'll realize the tapes are completely unnecessary, end up tossing the whole box in the trash, and I won't have to think about them anymore.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #2004 on: May 14, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »

I made hundreds of mixed tapes back in the day. Now they're just metaphors.
I know how you feel; the tapes are probably so brittle that they'll be destroyed upon playing. Mission Impossible. I bought a device about 10 years ago which will convert cassettes to CD format but, atm, I can't recall what the thing is called, who made it, nor even where it is. The issue at the time was that a 90+ minute tape could only be converted to a shorter timed CD and I couldn't edit.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #2005 on: May 14, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »
I bought a device about 10 years ago which will convert cassettes to CD format

And why would you want to do that?! Naaaahhh.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2006 on: May 14, 2013, 09:39:02 AM »
iTunes easily makes playlists.  You can burn them to cd if you feel so inclined, or use a disc burning program to effect the same function.

The sound quality of the digital recordings is so far superior to magnetic tape, that, other than pure nostalgia, I don't see a reason for holding onto cassettes.  I still have a handful of them, but really, I should replace them.  The public library used to take donations of them, but now I just put them on Craigslist for free, and I never have trouble finding people who want them.  It's amazing how many people there are who have amassed huge cassette collections from these giveaways. 

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2007 on: May 14, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »

About 300 yrs ago my husband used to be a DJ for a short while. Actually his first gift to me was a mixtape that of course I still keep. I remember Father & Son by Cat Stevens was in it. Man, I loved that song the second I've heard it.

I was/am (I don't suppose you ever lose it) a turntablist and I find it strange that listening to my old mixtapes, I can remember like it was yesterday, every mix, scratch, fade etc, throughout a 2 hour session.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #2008 on: May 14, 2013, 11:09:46 AM »
i used to have Cat Stevens Greatest Hits on vinyl, now have it on cd, "found" the music on the net. youtube has some good live songs performed by him, you could also rip the audio from them.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2009 on: May 14, 2013, 02:18:48 PM »
I'm wondering why I cannot buy one of these things: