Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434562 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #2235 on: February 26, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »
Lost a long time friend to cancer last Sunday night.

I'm sorry to hear that, and also sorry to be so long in commenting.  Time has flown by and I'm amazed at how little I get done.  I'm thinking of how tired I am and that I should get ready to cook dinner.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2236 on: March 01, 2015, 04:52:45 AM »
I'm wondering if I could own the first page of the chaos section. Usually Goldie scuppers it but while the cat's away...
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #2237 on: March 02, 2015, 05:22:12 AM »
Lost a long time friend to cancer last Sunday night.

I just saw this brickbatz. I'm sorry to hear that. I've lost several to the same thing.
Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2238 on: March 05, 2015, 06:53:55 AM »
I'm about to go to my son's school for his year 8 progress report.

Why am I feeling anxious? It's hardly my progress report.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2239 on: March 05, 2015, 08:00:04 AM »
Empathy?

I'm thinking I woke up too early and feel stupid.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #2240 on: March 05, 2015, 11:06:58 AM »
I'm about to go to my son's school for his year 8 progress report.

Why am I feeling anxious? It's hardly my progress report.

Keep repeating yourself that and you'll have a 5% less chance that your palms won't sweat.  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2241 on: March 05, 2015, 04:03:03 PM »
Keep repeating yourself that and you'll have a 5% less chance that your palms won't sweat.  ;D

It all went rather well with my son at A*, A and B GCSE level 3 years earlier than required.  They suggested him doing most of his GCSEs early and then doing advanced modules before A-Levels.

The bad thing is: he could be much further ahead if he got his damn finger out. It's almost as if exceptional grades are actually "demotivating"?.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #2242 on: March 06, 2015, 04:05:43 AM »
Don't look for bad things. It looks like he's doing great. :)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2243 on: March 06, 2015, 05:26:56 AM »
Don't look for bad things. It looks like he's doing great. :)

It's like this: my daughter has a really powerful intellect but she cannot/will not apply herself or study outside school.  Her argument is that she is 2nd in her class and would I rather her 10th?  I tell her that she is 2nd in her class by luck and not design and if she were to do a little, yes, a LITTLE maths and English with me she would surely be top.

At some point children have to realise it's not about pleasing their parents or their teachers, it's about reaching their own goals - goals that should have no bounds.

Most of my son's teachers were actually disappointed with him (much to his surprise) because they thought he was coasting.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2244 on: March 06, 2015, 06:45:35 AM »
At some point parents have to realise the same.

Not all potential Steven Hawking's want to do physics: is it a waste if a potential Einstein actually prefers a life as a beachcomber?

As a parent would you prefer to have a rich, important, famous depressive, or a poor underachieving happy nobody? (Assuming that the child has the skill to do either).

The trick at this point is raising them so that when they get to your advanced age they don't look back and say "I wish that ...".

In truth, it's about attempting to put an old head on young shoulders.

In the past that has just been a procedure that invariably fails and we all end up getting on with life how we see fit - usually repeating all the mistakes of our forefathers and adding a few new ones to boot. But these days it is essential (in this country) that one's children achieve as there will be no more social housing for those who choose to be florists, no more NHS for those who choose to surrender their health, and no more hand outs for those who fail to secure an income.

But let's get this straight: It is the State that insists this by encouraging strict schools that are otherwise called academies or free schools. My son's cousin goes to an Ark academy and is now a thoroughly depressed child (you get detentions for incorrect margins in your books) and I believe that this "all stick and no carrot" approach is completely counter-productive.

In contrast, I am astounded by how little homework my son's school doles out and all in all it is more like a social gathering than a school. He actually enjoys going (WTF!) and didn't even miss a day through sickness in his first year - even with a major drama or 2.  But his school has graduates that get into Oxbridge (2 or 3 a year) so they certainly know how to identify and nurture those with potential.

I, above all, know my son's potential and while I have been wholly unsuccessful in convincing him of it, he is doing remarkably well nonetheless.  However, I am not about to stop encouraging him to do even better.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2245 on: March 06, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »
congratulations on his results.
Sometimes the best Uni isn't the best for your child.

A glorious afternoon in the garden
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:36:49 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2246 on: March 06, 2015, 08:27:15 PM »
It all went rather well with my son at A*, A and B GCSE level 3 years earlier than required.  They suggested him doing most of his GCSEs early and then doing advanced modules before A-Levels.

The bad thing is: he could be much further ahead if he got his damn finger out. It's almost as if exceptional grades are actually "demotivating"?.

I think there is some truth to that.  I drifted through middle school after working hard and being among the top students in my elementary school.  I think that if your children get into a bigger pond with more competition, they'll adjust.  It's hard right now, I'm sure, as you want them to go as far as their natural talents and hard work will take them, but lots of kids go through periods where, for one reason or another, they slack off.  This is not uncommon, and I've had friends who had bright children who screwed around for a while only to get back their focus in a year or so.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2247 on: March 07, 2015, 12:14:29 AM »
I think that last coffee last night was off, only the brandy mixed with it made it drinkable  ;)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2248 on: March 07, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »
I think there is some truth to that.  I drifted through middle school after working hard and being among the top students in my elementary school.  I think that if your children get into a bigger pond with more competition, they'll adjust.  It's hard right now, I'm sure, as you want them to go as far as their natural talents and hard work will take them, but lots of kids go through periods where, for one reason or another, they slack off.  This is not uncommon, and I've had friends who had bright children who screwed around for a while only to get back their focus in a year or so.

My son is also on the brink of puberty, and I'm sure that won't help.

Girls can be such a distraction.

Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2249 on: March 07, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
daughter is grounded forever.
Went town with her friends, gave her money for mothers day present and she also had money from delivering leaflets (some as I deliver most of them) and she spent it all on herself. Bag / T Shirt / drinks / food.
Not very happy at all  >:(