Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434563 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #2430 on: May 08, 2016, 11:17:34 PM »
Inspired by goldie, I've ordered a cheapo Reform 1748 pen from eBay.  It should have arrived by now, but I guess it will show up in the next day or two.  The reviews have been decent and it's only $12 so, how bad can it be?

I'm intrigued by the fake Montblanc.  I'd be interested in checking it out.  Too bad you live on the other side of the pond.  It's an 8 hour flight from here to London, direct.  I once made the mistake of taking my shoes off and had a terrible time getting them back on when we landed.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2431 on: May 09, 2016, 12:47:39 AM »
Inspired by goldie, I've ordered a cheapo Reform 1748 pen from eBay.  It should have arrived by now, but I

I'm intrigued by the fake Montblanc.  I'd be interested in checking it out.
look ok, seems the USA Ebay is a lot cheaper to buy than the UK site. Pens can go for silly money over here.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Mont-Fountain-pen/1773728_501091883.html
the shop i purchased it off, various editions. Have found Chinese fountain pens are excellnet for the money.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2432 on: May 09, 2016, 10:57:33 AM »
Thanks for the link.  This is my Parker http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elegant-New-International-Parker-Duofold-18K-Nib-Fountain-Pen-/330690638951?hash=item4cfeb2b467:m:mFvkcBZK2EE5g0a00GyJqCg I bought it new in the 1980's & paid less for it then.

The Fountain Pen Hospital has new and 'vintage' pens.  David Nishimura in Rhode Island restores pens and often has some pretty lovely items on his website.  http://www.vintagepens.com/  He's a decent guy.  Met him at an antiques show.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2433 on: May 10, 2016, 12:47:29 AM »
the parker looks lovely
thanks for the link.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #2434 on: May 10, 2016, 08:16:25 AM »
I hate you xtop....seriously.

so wrong, foresee nightmares tonight  :-\

Hey, it was a Mont Blanc!! I was just trying to help... (said xtopave and laughed a very Muttley-like laugh).

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2435 on: May 10, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
Hey, it was a Mont Blanc!! I was just trying to help... (said xtopave and laughed a very Muttley-like laugh).

Every day I try and forget it a little bit more. Hopefully it will be gone from my memory by the time a retire.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2436 on: May 10, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
In the spirit of things, here are my matched pair.

(The one in the middle is a mouse, not a pen, but I needed something to rest them on)

Montegrappas? (in a round about sort of way)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2437 on: May 11, 2016, 12:24:44 AM »
  I see a mouse

In the spirit of things, here are my matched pair.
(The one in the middle is a mouse, not a pen, but I needed something to rest them on)

A yin yang pair of Jaguars , do they write well and as expected they are quite expensive

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:26:17 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2438 on: May 11, 2016, 12:43:13 AM »
Wow.  I thought Jaguar only made automobiles.  Little did I know they'd branched out into writing instruments!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2439 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:03 PM »
They are promotional items, made by Aquila/ Montegrappa. I got mine on eBay for £20-50 (I also have a pair of rollerballs to go with them, in black and BRG)

I got them as an ostentatious addition to the XK8, so that everyone would know that I drive a Jag-warr, and to my surprise found that I quite liked writing with them (I hadn't used ink since school, where it was a new-fangled alternative to slate). I bought a couple of plungers and a bottle of ink (cartridges may be easier, but I can't abide going out to buy the fiddly little things every other week, especially as they aren't standard Parker/ Shaeffer ones), and irritate the rest of the office by splodging blots everywhere.

They write quite differently from each other - the black one has a soft nib that doesn't carry ink brilliantly (a line will sometimes have gaps in it), the white one is the opposite: it has quite a hard nib - feels almost ballpointy - but writes flawlessly. Odd, as the nibs appear identical. I am not sure what differences the manufacturer made in the promotional items, and it is almost impossible to find out, but it is quite possible that there are many different versions appropriate to different models of car (which may explain the huge price variations on eBay!)

Damn! I missed a lift in an XK8.

I suits you, now I think of it.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2440 on: May 12, 2016, 12:27:01 AM »
chris, I envy you the ability to drive around in a well designed sports car.  My Hyundai is fine for basic transportation and it's been relatively low maintenance, but I can't say it's a real thrill.

The little Reform pen I got writes well, to my delight.  The Parker has a stiff nib but it inks consistently and well.  It's built like a tank.  I find it causes my hand to cramp if I use it a lot.  I think it's just the bodily interface between my hands and the pen.  I also would have preferred a more flexible nib, but it's well made.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2441 on: May 12, 2016, 12:59:59 AM »
They are promotional items, made by Aquila/ Montegrappa. I got mine on eBay for £20-50 (I also have a pair of rollerballs to go with them, in black and BRG)

A Bargain at that price. :o

chris, I envy you the ability to drive around in a well designed sports car.  My Hyundai is fine for basic transportation and it's been relatively low maintenance, but I can't say it's a real thrill.

horses for courses, I drive a Ford Mondeo Estate due to what i need with the kids and holidays, wife has a 2002 Peugeot 106 with 17000 on the clock due to driving 1 mile to work,nipping around town, plus it fits on our driveway perfectly

The little Reform pen I got writes well, to my delight.  The Parker has a stiff nib but it inks consistently and

Have to post a picture.
I use an old french made Parker pilot everyday at work, never lets me down.
jinhao fountain pens are inexpensive and write great.
baoer fountain pen are the same.
Not as Trendy as some makes but cane be alot more reliable 8)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:03:04 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2442 on: May 12, 2016, 02:05:24 AM »

Winner of the "Most Beautiful Car in the Carpark" a record 86,000 times consecutively (and still counting)
  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2443 on: May 12, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »

Winner of the "Most Beautiful Car in the Carpark" a record 86,000 times consecutively (and still counting)

Yes, but does the inside look like your study? If so, I doubt I would have fitted in.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2444 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:57 PM »
It's probably bigger on the inside.
--dweez