Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434552 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #2490 on: August 30, 2016, 03:00:40 PM »
that's some weight in your luggage, unless you traded in the family

Don't forget the Upper Class thing.  We had 23kg each on the way out and we were allowed 96kg each on the way back - plus another 24kg each hand luggage.

Didn't really use any of it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2491 on: August 31, 2016, 01:19:14 AM »
had 23kg each on the way out and we were allowed 96kg each on the way back - plus another 24kg each hand luggage.
that is some allowance. encourages spending locally as well

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2492 on: August 31, 2016, 04:00:21 PM »
that is some allowance. encourages spending locally as well

The big problem would be getting from the airport to home. Even a people carrier only takes 4 cases and 5 people.  I might leave my van at the airport if we do it again and the others can get the train while I transport the luggage.  They'd be home well before me, though.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2493 on: September 06, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
The rum is good and cheap there so I'm not surprised you took advantage of it.  Getting it home sounds like a separate issue entirely.

I'm thinking I'd like to go back to bed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2494 on: September 07, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
The rum is good and cheap there so I'm not surprised you took advantage of it.  Getting it home sounds like a separate issue entirely.

I'm thinking I'd like to go back to bed.

Been back 2 weeks and the rum has a significant dent in it. I need to drink less or buy bigger suitcases.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2495 on: September 07, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
We have rum in the cupboard from a visit to St. Martin over 5 years ago.  It's rarely warm enough to have a rum and tonic here so it sits undrunk.  I tend to drink wine more often here as it's plentiful locally and inexpensive because so many vineyards are near here.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2496 on: September 08, 2016, 12:38:37 AM »
I feel as though I have a summer  ;D ;D, cold coming on, I so ache
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 01:02:45 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2497 on: September 10, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
We have rum in the cupboard from a visit to St. Martin over 5 years ago.  It's rarely warm enough to have a rum and tonic here so it sits undrunk.  I tend to drink wine more often here as it's plentiful locally and inexpensive because so many vineyards are near here.

I like to have a tot of rum as a sort of digestif. Whether it works or not is a matter of opinion but it's fun trying to find out.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #2498 on: September 18, 2016, 01:34:05 PM »
I like to have a tot of rum as a sort of digestif. Whether it works or not is a matter of opinion but it's fun trying to find out.

:D ;D

I've read all your comments about Maths and kids and I appreciate them all. The thing is my daughter passed the regional stage and got to the nationals again. But the school director re-scheduled a 2-day school trip for the same 2 days when the Math Nationals take place. Apparently that woman has no notion of the concept of agenda. When I told her the dates coincided I SAW IT in her face she didn't take that into account when she re-scheduled. Of course she told me there were no more dates available for the trip and my daughter will have to choose between the two activities. Of course she picked the shool trip.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2499 on: September 18, 2016, 03:43:11 PM »
:D ;D

I've read all your comments about Maths and kids and I appreciate them all. The thing is my daughter passed the regional stage and got to the nationals again. But the school director re-scheduled a 2-day school trip for the same 2 days when the Math Nationals take place. Apparently that woman has no notion of the concept of agenda. When I told her the dates coincided I SAW IT in her face she didn't take that into account when she re-scheduled. Of course she told me there were no more dates available for the trip and my daughter will have to choose between the two activities. Of course she picked the shool trip.

My son decided (yes christ, it really was his decision) to sit his math GCSE this year which is a year early. He has chosen this even though this year the system changed and he can't resit it next year if it doesn't go well.

I had to buy him the course book that make the bible look like a pamphlet. However, looking through it there was hardly a page he could find that he didn't already fully understand. He ended up hoping that he could refine his knowledge of graphs from it as they sometimes trip him up.

On top of this he has also been cast as Banquo in a production of Macbeth that his drama class is doing with 3 other schools. I had to convince him to take drama as an option as he eats math and physics alive and I suggested it would bring balance to his academic life.

I believe it has.

Offline tarascon

• Cro-Magnon
  • Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
« Reply #2500 on: September 19, 2016, 07:01:43 AM »
On top of this he has also been cast as Banquo in a production of Macbeth that his drama class is doing with 3 other schools. I had to convince him to take drama as an option as he eats math and physics alive and I suggested it would bring balance to his academic life.

I believe it has.

Yes. YES!
Check out what Richard Feynman has to say about the importance of a balance between the  sciences & humanities. He came to that conclusion rather late in life and regretted it.
Spoiler (hover to show)
Playing Banquo should be fun.

Estragon: I can't go on like this.
Vladimir: That's what you think.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2501 on: September 20, 2016, 03:42:10 PM »
Good for him.

... although in my experience there has never been a teenager born that isn't natural drama queen anyway.

Now all you have to do is sort your daughter out. It never ends.

My daughter is a different kettle of fish altogether. She reminds me of ... me. She's all recreation and sweet things to eat and she'll ace any test when it comes to it with any work or application. Only, she can't do the tests at all as she hasn't studied and hasn't applied herself to anything in particular beyond Star Stable.

We're thinking she do well as a florist - as long as it doesn't also sell chocolates. That would scupper things.

Yes. YES!
Check out what Richard Feynman has to say about the importance of a balance between the  sciences & humanities. He came to that conclusion rather late in life and regretted it.
Spoiler (hover to show)
Playing Banquo should be fun.

I might try and record it when it comes about (November I think). But however it goes I'll be very proud.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2502 on: September 21, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
Is there any way your daughter could change her prep strategies with some tutoring help?  She sounds bright but just distracted.  Congrats on your son's accomplishments.

I'm thinking I have to uncover the bird and get him ready for another day's play.  He's in there ringing his bells in anticipation.  Or maybe he's calling for room service.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2503 on: September 21, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
Is there any way your daughter could change her prep strategies with some tutoring help?  She sounds bright but just distracted.  Congrats on your son's accomplishments.

I'm thinking I have to uncover the bird and get him ready for another day's play.  He's in there ringing his bells in anticipation.  Or maybe he's calling for room service.

She's had some extra tuition and I've worked with her as much as I could. She's as prepared as she's ever going to be.

Her last test is tomorrow (the Wandsworth test) and how she does in that will determine whether she could be selected by one of the selective schools she'd like to go to. Burntwood is our number 1 choice.

She'll be fine in the long run, I'm sure.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2504 on: October 04, 2016, 11:29:05 AM »
How did she do?

I'm thinking I'm getting old.  I walked 9 miles yesterday, which was good exercise, but I sure did take a nap when I got home.