Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 434701 times)

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #2745 on: September 07, 2017, 10:25:23 AM »
Keys are 3ft above sea level and the storm is expected to raise seal levels 6ft. I'd be on I75 headed north to anywhere if I lived in that area.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2746 on: September 07, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »
My brother just moved to the Keys in the last 2 weeks (job change). His wife and daughter just got there about 3 days ago. His furniture/clothes/other house stuff should get there, as he puts it, just in time to be washed away.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2747 on: September 07, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
May the storm center on orange-o-lago.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2748 on: September 08, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »
My brother just moved to the Keys in the last 2 weeks (job change). His wife and daughter just got there about 3 days ago. His furniture/clothes/other house stuff should get there, as he puts it, just in time to be washed away.

I hope they're heading to dryer land before the storm rages in.

May the storm center on orange-o-lago.

Anarchist  ;D

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2749 on: September 09, 2017, 12:32:32 AM »
We haven't heard from my husband's parents since before the storm hit and the silence is really worrying.  We try to call and get busy signals, but that's probably because the phone lines have been knocked out.  We hear reports of looting.  Even if they survived this storm, there are thugs about.  And another hurricane about to hit them.  The photos of devastation are overwhelming.  He's a wreck and there's nothing we can do about it.

Offline Alfonz

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #2750 on: September 09, 2017, 08:15:42 AM »
We haven't heard from my husband's parents since before the storm hit and the silence is really worrying.  We try to call and get busy signals, but that's probably because the phone lines have been knocked out.  We hear reports of looting.  Even if they survived this storm, there are thugs about.  And another hurricane about to hit them.  The photos of devastation are overwhelming.  He's a wreck and there's nothing we can do about it.

That's very sad, sure hope they come out of this unscathed.

The evacuation now encompasses 5 million. I75 is jammed and cars aren't even moving, some are in fear of being stuck on the highway when the storm strikes.

Brick is now in the mandatory evacuation zone, lets keep him in our thoughts as this storm bears down on the lower state.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2751 on: September 09, 2017, 02:50:46 PM »
I hope the strike on Florida isn't as severe as predicted.  My sister just texted me from Ft. Lauderdale to say that things were getting ugly, weather-wise. 

brick, if you get  through to read this, take care, be safe and I hope you and yours aren't too badly affected.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2752 on: September 09, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »
The weather globally this year has been biblical. You can see how people would have thought millennia ago that the wrath of God was a real and happening thing.

It may well be, of course.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2753 on: September 10, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »
My sister got through the storm relatively unscathed.   Don't know how brick held up.

Still no word from my husband's parents on St. Martin, but José was merciful.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2754 on: September 10, 2017, 11:01:04 PM »
The storm has moved past my brother's area now but we haven't heard from him yet. I'm fairly certain he's ok, just busy with helping with recovery (either that or he doesn't have cell service). Right now, no news is good news.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2755 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:31 PM »
The storm has moved past my brother's area now but we haven't heard from him yet. I'm fairly certain he's ok, just busy with helping with recovery (either that or he doesn't have cell service). Right now, no news is good news.

Hey, he's your brother. He'd be well prepared.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2756 on: September 12, 2017, 03:47:02 PM »
He's good. He called me yesterday (Monday) but I didn't recognize the number (12-digit instead of 10) when I decided to answer it anyway, he hung up right as I swiped to answer. I looked up the number on google and my suspicions were confirmed that it was a satellite phone number. About 6 hours later, my phone notified me that I had a voicemail message he left at 11am. Fun.

His work is a cat 5 shelter (Key Energy Services) and he and his wife and daughter hunkered down there Friday and let us all know at the time. He said that his place had fared the storm really well, only a little water got in in one of the rooms. Their (his location was only really concerned about fresh water as a water line had been ruptured by the storm and about 3 million gallons were lost.

Haven't heard from him since but knowing the storm has passed him and he's helping to restore the area allows me to breath easier.
--dweez

Offline brickbatz

• Cro-Magnon
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2757 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
My sister got through the storm relatively unscathed.   Don't know how brick held up.

Still no word from my husband's parents on St. Martin, but José was merciful.

My roof and carport took some damage but I reckon we're pretty lucky.

Hope your husband's parents are OK.

Online goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2758 on: September 13, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »
hope all of your families  in the storm's are ok.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2759 on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »
Apparently haunted houses are going to be a big thang in my region, or all of them are advertising on slacker.

Personally? I can't handle haunted houses, and it's not a fear thing. I have to stop myself from hitting the actors that pop out. I dig atmosphere. Dry ice is bless'ed awesome. But my fight or flight instinct redlines when someone grabs me, and I've never been much of a runner. So the ad for Del Mar sounds like a personal hell. They've got an obstacle course where you have to outrun zombies. Meh, the only thing scary about del mar is the price for parking.

I'd be interested if there was a no physical contact version.

Balboa park is doing a trail thing, that might be interesting without cowpoo vampire clowns. I may have mentioned before, I think balboa park may be one of the most beautiful places I've visited.