Author Topic: What is/was on the menu tonight.  (Read 119757 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Re: What is/was on the menu tonight.
« Reply #495 on: March 11, 2014, 09:28:57 AM »
Brown rice , meat loaf and roasted asparagus.

Tomorrow I will make oxtail stew.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #496 on: March 12, 2014, 06:30:19 PM »
seared cod with brown rice, carrots.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #497 on: March 12, 2014, 10:02:21 PM »
Leftover Stromboli. I was just bless'ed sick of burritos. So I baked all that crap up in a crescent roll dough.

It was delicious, and a nice alternative to burritos.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #498 on: March 12, 2014, 11:36:30 PM »
seared cod with brown rice, carrots.

That sounds good.  I had some curried lentil soup w/sourdough bread.  Pretty tasty.
8ully, you are pretty inventive with the food at hand.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
I used to enjoy cooking, but I hate the kitchen in this house.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #500 on: March 13, 2014, 07:55:49 AM »
I second that, I have an ant problem.  I can't get it under control with and killer because of my son, I am too afraid to put it in the kitchen.
But yes, I am going to have to move again.... how the landlord made the ants stay away while we moved in I don't know, I've also had to put mouse traps out.. and Oh, I figure it's because we are actually using the kitchen now, and the ants smell food. 

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #501 on: March 13, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »
have you tried talc powder ? it isn't toxic and its suppose to keep the ants away.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #502 on: March 13, 2014, 11:07:43 AM »
I second that, I have an ant problem.  I can't get it under control with and killer because of my son, I am too afraid to put it in the kitchen.
But yes, I am going to have to move again.... how the landlord made the ants stay away while we moved in I don't know, I've also had to put mouse traps out.. and Oh, I figure it's because we are actually using the kitchen now, and the ants smell food.

Bea, you need Terro ant baits.  It's not especially toxic to humans, but uses borax in a sugar solution(some places use borax as a food preservative and it's a common laundry detergent booster as well as a main ingredient in Silly Putty).  You can put the baits under the sink in cupboards, locked away.  Trust me, it works.  We've had ants inundate us during the winter and this is the only thing that works. 

Windex is a good way to clean them up, it kills them and helps cut down the little pheromone trails they leave for their friends.

http://www.terro.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #503 on: March 13, 2014, 12:47:50 PM »
That's very good advice 6p. That kind of jelly bait works very well with those tiny kitchen ants. The only ants I saw it didn't work against were my carpenter ants.
Then there's diatomaceous earth. I haven't tried it myself but a friend had little ants attacking her TV set and she says it worked fine.
I LOL when I read about Windex. I also use Windex-like products to keep them at bay and my husband laughs at me. But you spray it on the countertop, etc before you go to bed at night and I promise they won't come out!

Leftover Stromboli. I was just bless'ed sick of burritos. So I baked all that crap up in a crescent roll dough.

Sounds very good. I imagine one could even try making savoury pies with that dough.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:29:01 PM by xtopave »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #504 on: March 13, 2014, 06:25:53 PM »
Diatomaceous earth is good for the garden where it kills earwigs and other pests that want to eat plants.  I'd never heard of using it in the kitchen.  It functions like a fine microscopic broken glass.  D.E. causes death by a thousand cuts, rendering the ant exoskeleton porous so they die of dehydration.  I've not heard of people putting it indoors.  Until now.  This guy swears by it.  http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/8107/diatomaceous-earth-as-non-toxic-ant-killer
I've heard of people taking it internally, so it's not toxic, just fragments of silicon based exteriors of single celled plants, diatoms.

I just checked online and found this forum (I've used it before for other useful household advice).   They said there are two kinds of ants.  I've only had the ones who like sweets.  I know ants come for food sources, moisture, and they will eat sweets and fats.  So keeping the surfaces clean is crucial.  http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ipm/msg0413433223779.html?10

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #505 on: March 15, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »
Poor lickle anty wanties. They've got families you know.

Last night I had pussycat on toast.  :P
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #506 on: March 15, 2014, 07:22:25 AM »
Minute steaks are bless'ed alchemy to me. I despise New Jersey. Would gladly sink the state.

But this video has stayed my hand:

The accent is unpleasant, but the instructions are simple. I am... Conflicted.

She even knows about the bite conga line that drives me into rage! Anyone who has ever eaten at subway knows how the jackhole employees feather the ingredients so one bite becomes a goddamn convention in your mouth.

And then it's a bless'ed italian burrito! SUCH ALCHEMY! SORCERY!

And now you know why I've abandoned burritos.

All cooking should be explained this way. No "SURPRISE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO DO poo IN MULTIPLE STEPS"

Just A+B=C. SCIENCE madam.

Offline xtopave

• Q
« Reply #507 on: March 15, 2014, 02:37:49 PM »
Poor lickle anty wanties. They've got families you know.

That reminded me of this. One of my favorite group of comedians (+musicians, they make their own crazy instruments). It's about some guys making a jingle for a TV commercial for a clothes moth control product. One tiny detail: it's in Spanish, but you'll get the idea.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #508 on: March 15, 2014, 03:04:41 PM »
....you'll get the idea.

I did indeed.

Facial hair seems to be a bit of a constant in hispanic comedy.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Maudibe

• Homo Erectus
  • I'm not crazy. I'm chosen.
« Reply #509 on: March 19, 2014, 01:02:03 PM »
Shrimp Scampi over angel hair pasta