Games Consoles & Video Games > Games Consoles

Is the "xbox one" the new telescreen?

<< < (2/9) > >>

8ullfrog:
Sorry, gotta defend wii fit here. Not only does the wii fit NOT use a camera, but you can user-lock your stats.

SACPOP:
I wasn't saying bad things about the Wii or Wii Fit. Wii is fine. I was saying the Xbox One with Kinect, an "always on" connection, a microphone, and biorythmic sensing was like an authoritarian version of Wii Fit.

8ullfrog:
Someone came up for the best name for this box of poo.

The Xbone

megamarkd:

--- Quote ---In fact, the new camera and microphone system is so sensitive to your presence, that Microsoft says the new Kinect can even read your heartbeat while you're exercising, and recognize and process audio that's personalized to specific individuals. "This is rocket science level stuff," Xbox's Marc Whitten said during today's reveal.
--- End quote ---

Microsoft are trying the Sony "powerful enough to launch ICBMs" pre-launch b$ to hide the fact that it's a piss-poor excuse for a video game console (by last gen's standards).

The xbox360 store walk-by demo units do movement and audio sensing thing already (one of my workmates has one left over from a job somehow and it yells at passers-by and beckons them over to have a try).

The AI DJ is nothing new.  If a rocket scientist working for DARPA was to present their version of itunes genius after four years in the research labs, I don't doubt they are now working for M$.

I'd be surprised if the heartrate monitoring was happening sans wearable hardware, directional mic's can't follow someone as they bounce from side to side too well, and the sound of them doing the running-man can't help too much either.  If they can show us the tech they are achieving this with, that would be nice.

From what has been revealed about the next offerings from the two self-crowned kings of gaming consoles, they are not gaming consoles but facebook content generators.  They will be serving us games like Virtua-Slumlord™ and turn-based shopping simulators to play in-between watching movies we have bought the right to watch once in the the next 40mins from them.  And social network access so we can basically advertise for them ( posted via ps4/xbone  will likely follow any interaction via these consoles on the social networking circuits).

As for M$ trying to spy one their users telescreen style, I would think it will be in a more googlesque manner where they will be selling our private habits to marketing firms.

--- Quote from: 8ullfrog on May 26, 2013, 02:05:05 AM ---Duct. Tape.

--- End quote ---

Holds the world together, along with slot-screws and cable-ties.

But yeah, I was thinking a postcard or the like myself, not so sticking to remove.

Mauve:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version