Author Topic: Golden Compass Books/Fantasy Recommendations  (Read 25813 times)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
Re: Golden Compass Books/Fantasy Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 10:58:52 AM »
I find the movies really sucky.   :-X
The first two were too childish. Then, they started to omit things from the novels. Especially, in the last one, probably half the story was cut.  :-\
Read the books, they are worth it.  ;)

I completely agree.  The books might have start off being written for kids but it was obvious after the first couple that Rowling shifted it to an older audience.  Also, a little side tangant, what was the point of Rowling outing Dumbledore after the fact?  Not knocking on the lifestyle, just saying that it had no bearing or weight on the story.  It might be me but, even though I liked the HP series, Rowling is a bit of an odd duck.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 11:57:18 PM »
i'm going through all my old books and am re-reading.
amazing how good they can be a 4 / 5 / 6 th  time around. :D :D

i am looking for a book to last me on holiday soon .8 hour flight to the usa .

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2009, 12:56:54 AM »
Not fantasy, but I also liked reading Tom Clancy's stuff but it seems it's more ghostwriters anymore.  I really liked Robert Ludlam's stuff too.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »
i like tom's early work. but not now.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Anybody Read Those Golden Compass Books?
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 05:07:21 AM »
Any of the Discworld novels by Terry Prachette,,Ive read them all.
Each one I laughed so hard I peed myself. lol

I am a huge Pratchett fan too and I actually queued up in a book signing to meet him once (only time I have ever done that).  There was a program on last week with him revealing how Alzheimer's is now affecting his writing, and it was quite tragic in all honesty, and don't expect too much from him in the future.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 07:12:38 AM »
Man, that's sad.
--dweez

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 10:53:30 AM »
I am a huge Pratchett fan too and I actually queued up in a book signing to meet him once (only time I have ever done that).  There was a program on last week with him revealing how Alzheimer's is now affecting his writing, and it was quite tragic in all honesty, and don't expect too much from him in the future.

Its just sad,,anything that brings about good in the world gets taken from us.

Kinda makes it all so,,,futile
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 03:17:29 PM »
Bombed.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2009, 02:43:56 AM »
sad prog.
i think pratchett has the most signed boooks out in circulation. hard to find one not signed  :D
sad about him . i do like his books. you can read how he has evolved from his early books to later ones

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »
Yeah you can,,and you learned about the Disc World as hedid.
I kinda feellike I know Sam Vimes personaly,,him andthe rest of the watch.
Id read about Mustrum Ridcully andalmost knowwhat hesgoing to do next.
Pratchette is a hell of a writer.
I keep my standards low.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 11:55:45 AM »
i hoped he'd write more of rincewind , made me howl with laughter

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »
Rincewind,,the coward that became ahero for being cowardly lol
I keep my standards low.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »
I will preface this by saying that, in general, I'm not big on fantasy, so I rarely ever recommend the genre. Having said that:

I read The Wheel of Time series written by Robert Jordan for a while which was a sprawling fantasy epic that regularly gets compared to Lord of the Rings.

Each book begins with: The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

This particular tale takes place in the forgotten myth of the hero who was needed to save the world from The Dark One, only to destroy it in trying. Rand al Thor is the reincarnation of this original hero. Again, he has no memories initially and doesn't really believe in what he's doing because suddenly things from stories he was told as a child are coming out of the woodwork and living and breathing. He will eventually begin to hear the voice of the original hero in his head, and he will converse with it. It will scream at him to kill certain people on sight before they can betray him (because everyone else is a reincarnation of that 'myth' as well, but Rand keeps the urge in check.

It's magic system is pretty cool, too. Magic users channel a power called The One Source that works differently through men than it does women (basically, each side is more proficient in a certain set of elemental forces than the other), and if men and women channel together, the channel is even more powerful. The Dark One has, however, managed to taint the male half of the power, and they are eventually driven insane from using it. The women have a task to still all male magic users (essentially magickal castration) before this can occur.

While it seems like a straightforward Light vs. Dark scenario, it's not popcorn in the slightest. I could never convey to you the density of the story in a few lines here, but remember what I said about my not digging fantasy in general. One of the series' neatest conventions is that each chapter is written in first person from the perspective of a particular character in the story. So you'll sometimes get more than one viewpoint on something that happened in the story depending on who's eyes you were seeing it through. And the three main male characters, Rand, Mat and Perrin will individually comment to themselves on how easy the other two have it with women. It can also confound the reader by having a character walk straight into an ambush that you knew was coming, but they were clueless about. It's also kind of neat to see things like Rand talking to the voice in his head from another's perspective, where the reader knows what's going on but the character thinks Rand's losing his mind.

Now for the drawbacks: the series is on the 11th book I think, and each one is between 600-700 pages - these are not light reads, but more of a commitment. I've read through the 10th book, but the story just keeps getting bigger. It's supposed to lead to some final battle, but the number of tangents the author goes on are lengthy and tedious at times. Basically, I see no end in sight...

And, worst of all, the author died last year, so it's potentially unfinished - his wife is supposed to take up the mantle, but I dunno...

I don't read much fantasy, but I read these for quite awhile and there's some cool stuff in there.

Note: Do not play The Wheel of Time video game.

Ever.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »
i hated those books. started off so well and then just turned into a political nightmare.

by the 6th book i gave up. a pity really

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I liked the Chronicles Of Amber by Roger Zelazney
I keep my standards low.