Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 428560 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #3195 on: February 19, 2023, 01:18:45 PM »
Yeah, it's name was Bobby Brown.

As to the sanitized Queen film, that was literally the music biopic by the numbers. I would have loved to have seen the Sacha Baron Cohen version.
Apparently what made him walk is they told him he dies in the middle and the rest of the film is the band rising triumphant.

That's super bent, and I hope it was just tabloid bait.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:20:25 PM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3196 on: February 19, 2023, 06:41:12 PM »
I think I was put off by Mr. Robot playing Mercury.  It was a correct ethnic choice but I suspect the writing was simplistic and the cast didn't have much to work with. I fast forwarded through most of it.  I never got Bobby "It's my perogative" Brown.  He seemed a one hit wonder and Huston seems to have made a mistake getting involved with him.  The whole culture of substance abuse seemed to have claimed her daughter also.

There's so many really good creative movies out there (many of them brought to my attention here), that I think I can forego this one.

The most recent movie I saw I can't really recommend.  It was the 1962 Greek production of Euripides' "Elektra" with Irene Papas in the title role.  It kind of suffered from an annoying soundtrack and slow development.  It was improved by watching it at double speed.  It's available free on youtube.  Since it's a tragedy, it's hard to criticize this for being a downer of a plot, but there's probably versions that are less time consuming and visually more engaging. 

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3197 on: February 21, 2023, 08:46:00 PM »
I tried to watch the Ben Affleck movie "Paycheck" because the premise sounded neat. Dude is a reverse engineer and after he helps a company steal a design, his work gets blanked from his memory.

He doesn't mind because they pay an INSANE rate for both his time and enforced discretion.

But it was painful to watch.

I watched the setup scene, where they explain the premise, and then he went to a dinner party. Uma Thurman was there. Seemed interesting, but it just... dragged on.

So, I shut the movie off and looked up the spoiler. I am glad I did because the movie only got worse from there.

The scene I did watch, where he reverse engineers a 3d projection monitor into just being a 3d projector was neat, if not a little sexist (An executive uses his memory erasure for a session of no strings sex)

Paul Giamatti was in the scene but was utterly wasted. Apparently, he continues to be wasted for the duration of the film. He may as well have been Poindexter mc Ratface.

I wonder if those roles ever bothered him, or if he just cashed the paycheck.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3198 on: February 22, 2023, 07:54:08 AM »
Possibly he cannot remember  ;D ;D ;)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3199 on: February 22, 2023, 09:52:51 AM »
I generally run the other way when Ben Affleck is in a movie.  He's married to J-Lo.  That's all I need to know.  I never understood why he was supposed to be a good actor.  J-Lo is a beautiful woman.  She performed admirably as a Fly Girl dancer on the tv series, "In Living Color."  That, imho, was the nadir of her career.  She must have some other very substantial skills at self promotion.  Perhaps she's a nice person.  As for her ability to act or sing?  Apparently, that lack has not prevented her from having a substantial career or from attracting a number of accomplished husbands.

Paul Giamatti is a brilliant actor.  There are many films in which he performed admirably.  Then:  He was involved in Billions, a series that jumped the shark after about 3 seasons.  He remained.  Clearly he didn't do it for the love of acting or for the compelling plot line.  I think the allure of a steady paycheck can't be underestimated in some cases.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:59:27 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3200 on: February 22, 2023, 01:54:02 PM »
"This season I want to be a WIZARD"
"Paul, this is a financial crimes drama that is relatively close to real life."
"And now there will be a WIZARD in the financial crime drama."

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3201 on: February 22, 2023, 02:08:04 PM »
Evidently, last year he wanted to be Scrooge in a wireless carrier commercial.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3202 on: February 23, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
He was good in Sideways, Played a decent King John

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3203 on: February 23, 2023, 10:31:11 AM »
He has played a creditable John Adams and Benjamin Franklin.  He can be very good.  Just that some of his recent theatrical adventures appear to have been driven more by profitability than any love of acting.  He does lots of commercials.  The Wikipedia entry makes clear that he's much sought after and has a wide choice of roles to choose from, ranging from Shakespeare's Hamlet to The Rhino in "the Amazing Spider Man 2."  Who knows what he does with all that money?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3204 on: February 24, 2023, 03:37:34 AM »
I watched him in a film with Paul Rudd - Almost Friends, Not bad at all.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3205 on: February 24, 2023, 05:11:30 AM »
Just saw him as Einstein in a Verizon spot.

Samuel L Jackson said that commercials pay insanely well, and that he does his ads for charity.

I know that for some commercial actors this is vital, as once you're pegged as "Insurance guy" it's unlikely you will ever work for a different company.

I was watching "The Accountant", another Afflick, but my stream cut out. It was good, but in a "Watch it on TBS" rather than appointment viewing.

Annoyingly, when I tried to pull it up on Hulu for my mother, they wanted some sort of obnoxious "Your subscription AND more money bundle, which I declined instantly.

What bless'ed Gall. "We'll gladly take your money, but also, give us more!"

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3206 on: February 25, 2023, 03:58:04 PM »
We watched M3gan this evening as it was recommended and had high ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

Never have I so completely understood the term "meh".
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3207 on: February 25, 2023, 07:34:14 PM »
I mean it doesn't even have the voodoo angle from Child's Play. Anything M3GAN (ugh) does is based off programming.

So... why program her to be lethal? Is this a Small Soldiers situation where military combat chips were repurposed into children's toys?

Honestly, most machine uprising films could be solved by simply dumbing down the programming. You don't NEED a true AI for children's toys, or a domestic service robot, or a sales agent, or honestly anything that requires rote memorization rather than critical thinking.
golly the irresponsibility of... Funki (ugh again)

The cylons should never have been able to rebel, the Geth should never have asked the question that led to the Morning war, Skynet should never have been clever.

The fact that the Aunt even REALIZES she bent up by bringing the abomination robot home makes me even more angry.

Of course the sequel has already been greenlit.

The fact the piece of poo managed to upload itself into the internet via the coffee maker means that their world would be dead fairly quickly.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3208 on: February 25, 2023, 07:56:32 PM »
They should have stopped at Talking Barbie.  Frankly, a sock monkey would serve the purpose.  I'm not so keen on smart appliances, anyway.  Alexa can eavesdrop on someone else.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3209 on: February 25, 2023, 08:09:10 PM »
In windows 10, bless'ed SOLITAIRE spies on you.

I had to edit my hosts file to block taboola. Nasty gits behind that ad service. There's a reason they're not in the google garden.

But yes, in CURRENT TIMES, even the toys spy on you. Maybe ESPECIALLY the toys spy on you.

The only good thing that the internet of things has ever given us was the Skyrim sketch from Michael Keegan
(He plays skyrim on Alexa)