General Category > Food and Drink

Asteroid belt menus

(1/6) > >>

6pairsofshoes:
Watching The Expanse, I often thought about what you might be able to eat in space and/or on other planets with Terrestial foods that had to adapt to a variety of non Earthlike conditions.

Spinach may be out.  It's hard to imagine having enough sunlight for such plants.  How would you do this if you could?  Grow lights?  Hydroponic gardens?

Fungus and other non chlorophyl based plants might have a better chance there.  But how Holden got coffee in the asteroid belt past Mars is a mystery unless it was shipped out from Earth.  One dish you hear about often is a fungus based curry.  That would make sense.  Quorn burgers (mushroom based proteins) could work.  Meat like beef, lamb, pork?  That would probably not work very well, since you would most likely not have enough grains or plant based feed to support those animals.

Any other ideas about what you could eat on a trip to Jupiter or that region?

8ullfrog:
I make no secret that I absolutely love this poo.

We have a Big Kahuna Burger in Imperial Beach, and yes they have Sprite.

Unfortunately, it's a surfy-durfy shithole, and the burgers are not the crap implied by the movie (Pulp Fiction)

As to astronaut food, I imagine it would be awful. They went into it a bit at the end of battlestar galactica, they were all eating algae puffs. Those must have been the nastiest shower scum cookies imaginable.

In Babylon 5 they went into this a bit, how phone calls were obscenely expensive (no cashless society there) and an Orange was worth more than it's weight in gold.

Garibaldi also watched Looney Tunes, which was afforded to him as a Turner Property.

Found a list of alien food from B5, they don't really go into the orange thing.
https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Food_and_Drinks

6pairsofshoes:

--- Quote from: christ on January 29, 2023, 12:44:13 PM ---Tea - Earl Grey - Hot.

--- End quote ---

You'd probably have to bring that with you from Earth, given the difficulty of establishing tea plantations.  Finding planets that are amenable to terraforming would probably be rare.  But what do I know?  I'm no astronaut.

I know Tang, the orange beverage that the Astronauts drank, which, as best I can figure out is probably a mix of sugar, citric acid and natural flavors.  Then there are the A-OK Space Food Sticks.  Those are probably a version of something like a cylindrical PowerBar.  I don't think I ever had one.

8ully, that menu is the product of the imagination of some Hollywood script writers.  One of the stronger aspects of The Expanse was the Martian botanist who spent all his efforts finding edible plants that could be raised under glass domes.  But I was thinking of the hostile conditions of Belter life, of those miners and other grunts who lived on the asteroid belt where even the conditions on Mars seemed posh by comparison.  They're all living on some kinds of fungus based foods and downing various synthetic alcoholic drinks.  I don't know where they got their calcium, but their less dense skeletal structures seem a combo of their diets and their life in low gravity conditions.

6pairsofshoes:

--- Quote from: christ on January 29, 2023, 02:54:21 PM ---Nope. Replicators.

--- End quote ---

Hell's Bells.  Why leave home in the first place if you have that technology?  One presumes President George Santos pushed one too many buttons and blew up the planet?

6pairsofshoes:
Eating on the International Space Station.
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4aWoZPEd2w

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version