General Category > Food and Drink

Condiments.

(1/3) > >>

8ullfrog:
I call condiments sauce way too much.

My local Grolet posts weekly video presentations of what they have in, and I naïvely requested they show "the sauces". They did an entire video dedicated to... tomato sauces.

Which honestly bore me. One jarred sauce might as well be the one next to it.

I meant condiments. Hot sauce, mustard, BBQ sauce, bizarre twists.

I'll admit, bizarre twist sauces tend to be my favorite.

Today I watched a couple videos on various hot sauces, and realized, I've been going up the scale on heat, and don't actually enjoy it. I'm going to aim downward from habanero.

For instance, Tapatio is 3000 SHU, and that's too much for me.

So how about you? What's your favorite taste invigorator?

6pairsofshoes:
I put soy sauce on lots of stuff, as I like salt.  Eggs, some noodle dishes, like ramen.
A1 sauce on French fries.
Barbeque sauce on veggie burgers.
Salsa on veggie burgers.
Dijon mustard on turkey sandwiches.  I usually put mayo on also.
Tapatio hot sauce is a favorite for mexican food, and the McInney's Green hot sauce is good as an alternative to salsa verde.
Lemon juice is nice for bringing out flavor, but I generally use it when cooking, instead of as a condiment.

8ullfrog:
I got a bottle of Gringo Bandito at Smart & Final yesterday. Either it has a shorter shelf life than most other hot sauces, or I got one that should have been shelf scooped, as it's only good until December.

I like it. I complained about Tapatio earlier, and this honestly tastes like Tapatio if someone sanded the edges down. It's a blend of peppers, rather than Tapatio's singular, but both are produced here in California.

I thought it was a bit pricey at $3.49, but apparently that's supposed to be seven dollars.

I very much enjoyed the sauce, I had it on eggs.

It's 820 SHU to Tapatio's 3000.

Here's a review by someone who knows what they are doing:

https://pepperscale.com/gringo-bandito-original-hot-sauce/

I also saw a green Sriracha and was sorely tempted, but I still haven't used up the Tabasco tapatio. Gringo bandito has been on my must try list for a while, so I made an exception.

6pairsofshoes:
I like Tapatio.  I also like McIhenny's green hot Tabasco sauce.  I had some green Slap Yo Mama brand a couple weeks ago at a restaurant and it was pretty good.  I'll keep an eye out for gringo bandito.  I have shopped and picked up inexpensive unknown brands at Grocery Outlet and they tend to languish in my pantry, unused as I forget they're there.  We should have more quesadillas so we can use more.  Maybe this week!

8ullfrog:
Green Tabasco is Jalapeño, so it is significantly more mild than mainline Tabasco. The chipotle one is also significantly less spicy, but has the smokiness of chipotle, which I've noticed some people don't like. I love it!

I really like the green El Pato sauce that Grocery outlet sells. I liked Louisiana Gem green jalapeño sauce better, because it matched green Tabasco almost exactly, but I don't have the purple 99 cent store anywhere near here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version