Author Topic: Local News  (Read 85796 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Local News
« Reply #345 on: July 27, 2023, 12:22:37 PM »
So today we got 3 gigity bit broadband.

Goodbye Sky.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #346 on: July 27, 2023, 01:52:46 PM »
I'm locked in to Sky for the foreseeable future: Stored on the Sky box SWMBO has a year's worth of Emmerdale, Casualty and Holby City to catch up on, and we can't transfer them to any other medium. She is catching up at a slower rate than episodes are being added (that, of course, is what led to the backlog in the first place).

I kept Sky, just hardwired it. I am going to nut off sports, movies and obviously their broadband, so they won't be happy.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2023, 06:35:36 PM »
So former President Trump has shown up to plead Not Guilty for his 3rd set of indictments.  There are more in the pipeline.

There's been all kinds of speculation about this.
If he gets convicted but elected President (he's still the current Republican Party frontrunner for the nomination as the candidate in the 2024 Presidential election) can he pardon himself?  Or should he be allowed to govern from jail?  Have his sentence delayed so he can have one more chance to turn the U.S. into a 3rd world dictatorship?

The charges are serious.  He could face real jail time.  What do you think about this?  Will he manage to get off?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #348 on: August 04, 2023, 01:00:58 AM »
People are seriously spooked by all this.

I can see not wanting to drag the image of the presidency through the mud, but Donald Trump already did that. He started on the campaign trail, and honestly has never stopped. The Judge calling him Mr. Trump was extremely appropriate.

No one has ever really shoved Trump's nose in the poo he's dropped. And I honestly fear it won't happen this time either.

People prematurely celebrating this are naïve. Progress will only be made when he's in an orange jumpsuit and boards the prison bus. And that may never happen.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #349 on: August 05, 2023, 03:52:29 PM »
If (when?) he gets re-elected, my prediction remains that he will suspend future elections "until they can be guaranteed to be fair". He will then pass power to his children á la Royalty.

He doesn't bother me personally, the fact that one of the USofA's major political parties - and their voters - kowtow to him does. In order to get their way on White "Christian" priorities, they are willing to stand in line behind him waiting for crumbs from his table, desperate for the votes that he will gat from the (aptly named) "base". Surely there have to be some sane Republicans somewhere over there?

I'm finding it hard to think of a country that has political stability?

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2023, 12:48:20 AM »
I'm finding it hard to think of a country that has political stability?

Pretty sad TBH, The world political map seems again to be going downwards.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2023, 07:23:06 AM »
Democracy only works when there is an agreement that the winner will represent the whole country: in recent times all of the major democracies have followed the leader in not following this model: "When I win I will only act for my team, and I will actively act against any opposition" appears great for the winning team, but is an unsustainable model for democracy. The only way from here is autocracy, which can be very stable (if unpleasant): ask North Korea.

Democracy is also - obviously to me, but apparently not to some politicians and their supporters - unsustainable if the participants refuse to abide by the result.

Yes, it dawned on me that politically, in most countries the aim is to the polarise the nation and then tussle over the few remaining swing voters. A voting group that seem to be fast diminishing.

Regardless of policy, it's quite reassuring that - if you believe the polls - Labour will win the next election. It's reassuring as it could demonstrate that the population are able to be left, right or centre depending on their mood.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2023, 09:38:28 AM »
I don't vote - I have mentioned this before, but I don'r vote because there is no-one person that embodies everything that I think is needed, and voting for someone that I disagree with - even on only some things - is not something that I could do.

-- BUT --

What I find odd about British politics is that (in general) I prefer Conservative policies, but abhor Conservative politicians, and dislike intensely the politics of envy embodied by the Labour Party whilst actually quite liking some Labour politicians.

Go figure.

I'm completely lost regarding British politics. I was traditionally Labour, but fear their rhetoric on our ambition to be carbon net zero. Actually, I fear all the rhetoric on net zero as nothing will work like they suggest.

I fear they'll install massive and pointless projects that will all invariably fail, and then as we scramble towards the deadline, they'll just plant a crapload of trees which was the solution in the first place.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2023, 10:28:33 AM »
My grandpa taught me to read economic impact statements, it's the real "how the sausage is made" of politics, and tell you what things will really cost.

All the "green initiatives" are laid bare when you read those. They've committed to the impossible in hope that they will no longer be in office once the bill comes due.

Sometimes you do have to vote for the "least worse" candidate, and it is absolutely a bitter pill.

Even voting "NO" on an entire panel on a ballot is still a choice.

I voted for Hillary Clinton, and I never liked Hillary. What her campaign pulled in the primaries was disgusting.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2023, 02:01:05 PM »
I always found Trump to be a braggadocious clown when he was merely a mediocre real estate developer.  There was nothing distinguished or original about his developments or his financing.  Prior developers, like Wm. Zeckendorf, Sr., had far surpassed his achievements.  Zeckendorf built an empire on leveraged financing that eventually led to bankruptcy.  From what I have been able to determine, Trump simply copied his methods, with similar consequences.  His sole achievement was that of self promotion.  He developed a brand that hawked a tawdry luxury built on excess.  His gaudy buildings have done nothing to improve the city skyline since he has taste that would disgust even those known for their appreciation of Louis XV excess, like Liberace.  His reality show appears to have been the only way he made any significant profits, except for his subsequent extended political career, which seems to have been built on conning a resentful blue collar public.

It's a great irony that those most likely to be hurt by his policies are among his most fervent supporters.

As for the first Hillary Clinton primary campaign, I was so disgusted that I voted for Obama instead.  Why she chose to lie about her opponent was beyond me, but it alienated me.   As for the 2016 contest?  It was like voting for Jesus or the Devil.  A no brainer.  I was shocked when Trump won.  If ever there was an argument for abolishing the Electoral College, this was it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2023, 08:26:25 AM »
Briefly watched a video ref Oxford street London "take over" by people on social media encouraging others to "social media videos urged people to turn up and cause disruption on Oxford Street".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66459233.
This really doesnt show people in a decent light and stereotypes others, Hopefully online accounts and peole are taught a lesson, with baton bats if required.
Nothing is free, someone loses out.  Hope it doesnt go as per USA.

On a lighter note, The chap protecting his corner shop with a fire extinguisher needs retraining on how to use it ( even if its on people not a fire).

NUmber one son is visiting for 2 weeks prior to his permanent move to Bonnie Scotland ( then its a whenever sort of arrangement)  :'( :'(

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #356 on: August 10, 2023, 10:02:19 AM »
Grocery stores in the San Francisco area have had to install all kinds of barriers to deter theft as shoplifting is rampant.  It's inconvenient, but I totally understand it.  A Whole Foods grocery and Nordstroms, a nice upscale department store, in the main shopping center of San Francisco, simply closed their doors and left.  Several Walgreens drugs (part of the Boots chain in the U.S.) stores in the area have closed also.  It's disheartening to see this.

I was in the grocery when a local high school got out and kids came into the Safeway with backpacks and were opening boxes of products, stuffing them in their backpacks and laughing about it. There were so many kids at once that they just couldn't keep up with them.  This isn't to mention the cars in the parking lots that get their windows smashed in other robbery attempts while the customers are inside shopping.  Crime here is terrible.  We think of moving, but I fear it is something that will be endemic everywhere.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #357 on: August 10, 2023, 08:05:26 PM »
A physical exit gate seems logical. You can leave after an employee verifies your purchases.

And if you don't like it, you do not have to shop there.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #358 on: August 11, 2023, 11:28:15 AM »
Yes.  They've installed gates.  If you leave without showing a receipt an alarm goes off.  It's super annoying.

They've appointed a special counsel for Hunter Biden.  That should quell the Fox News crowd for a while.  One wishes that Rupert Murdoch had stayed down under.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #359 on: August 11, 2023, 03:50:06 PM »
I don't give a flying poo about Hunter Biden.