Author Topic: I want this...  (Read 122798 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: I want this...
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
for xmas i want this and I'll be happy

and i would be happy
O and a bag of these

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #421 on: December 16, 2011, 02:24:52 AM »
for xmas i want this and I'll be happy

and i would be happy
O and a bag of these

Santa's going to have his work cut out trying to figure what those ^ pictures are of. Speshly once he's half pissed like after visiting my house (is it sherry or Wray and Nephew you're meant to leave out for him?..)
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #422 on: December 28, 2011, 01:15:58 PM »

here you go
all received and eaten / using / drinking.
ok the pen i purchased myself after a present was returned to John Lewis.
a teddy baker laptop bag for a pen was a good deal  :D (well the bag was only 13" and my lappy is 16" )

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #423 on: January 19, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
Well, not really... Although...

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #424 on: January 20, 2012, 03:33:47 AM »
^ You'd need the right company.  Somehow I don't think it would work with your trip to Disney, although...

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #425 on: January 22, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Nice T shirt .

I have a thing for Fountain Pens.
I was instructed how to make ink from infected Acorns / water / iron filings. never got around to it but I may just try and also make a quill or two  .

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #426 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:08 AM »
Finally, after over 5 years I believe (I've been watching their site for at least 4), GScreen got their dual monitor laptop ready and is now shipping:

http://www.gscreenlaptop.com/

I can't get one over here for another 6 months or so, and to be honest I'm a little over it now. The finished unit looks way too chunky to be truly portable although it would be nice to be able to transport and work on a unit that mirrors my desktop, or very nearly as the case may be.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:02 PM »
OMG i wouldn't like to carry that around  ;D ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2012, 03:01:18 AM »
OMG i wouldn't like to carry that around  ;D ;D

Methinks you'd need help anyhow.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
Hehe, I haven't had a "multiple screen" issue with Windows for years and Win7 handles the "on the fly" monitor plugging-in very well now. 

The only real issues I've had were with multiple monitors and a "virtual windows manager" app (litevwm or something like that from LiteStep).  I had the virt wins configured in a 2x2 square with the top left being my primary.  Sometimes, when I clicked on the virt wins on the right, the app would shift my primary phys. monitor designation the the phys monitor on the right and any apps that were open in my 2ndary monitor suddenly became lost off screen.  Even killing the the virt win manager wouldn't fix it.  I'd have to click around a bunch between the virt wins until the app got confused again and fixed itself...ah, good times.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
That is not a laptop. It is a foldable desktop.

I can't imagine lugging that monstrosity around.

I have 24" screens on my desk at home and at both my workplaces, and carry a 15" laptop - this plugs in to the external screen wherever I may be, to give me two. If I am at another site I either borrow a screen or slum it with the little people that are forced to use one. Even Windows handles multiple screens nearly adequately nowadays.

It really is a monstrosity I agree, and the only reason I can think of why the base is so big, is that it needs extra battery power for the screens.  That reminds me of the first mobile phones that had a huge battery pack you could break your shoulder with. Portable? I think not.

With that said, the idea of dual 17" monitors on a laptop is very sexy and if they ever make an ultra slim version I'd definitely be up for one. I have a triple monitor set up now which I'm finding I use for everything - even just sorting out files and folders.

I don't use Windows for pleasure, so I am not sure how well it works nowadays, but my scenario used to kill XP and Vista: at home my additional monitor sits on the right of my laptop, at work it sits on the left. My mac has always remembered which is which, the PC always got hopelessly lost. Have they fixed that yet?

I can't say I have ever had a problem with Windows organising the monitors, and now windows 7 has the right-click option to move windows to whichever monitor you choose without having to drag them about.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »
I don't use Windows for pleasure, so I am not sure how well it works nowadays, but my scenario used to kill XP and Vista: at home my additional monitor sits on the right of my laptop, at work it sits on the left. My mac has always remembered which is which, the PC always got hopelessly lost. Have they fixed that yet?

Hmm, don't know about that.  I only use a secondary monitor for my laptop at work and it's always on the right side.  If I think about it when I have my laptop at home (I typically just leave it in the office), I'll connect it to a spare monitor at home and have the 2nd one be on the left.  I'll see how it "copes" when I bring it back in.
--dweez

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
You may want to check the resolution too, if the home and work monitors are different.

PS: You will note that it was not my intention to belittle Windows, I did note that it was nearly adequate, which is a major improvement over where it was.

Oh, I know you're not a Windows fan, but also not a hater.  It is fun to see you "eff" with people over on Dem though. :D
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #433 on: February 02, 2012, 05:18:40 AM »
christ is an original mac user from a time when you were firmly in one camp or another. Usually because of the efficiency of the hardware/OS meant that your professional life with an Apple computer was far easier than with the early days of Windows, and because of that I can understand the superiority felt by mac users back then.   Nowadays being a mac fanboy is just en vogue - and slightly annoying.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #434 on: February 03, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »
Pshaw.

Fanboys are a pain in the arse, whatever their flavour.

Personally I find Windows' fanboys to be considerably worse than Mac's, as in most cases mac users/fans have experience of Windows (granted, not always recent), and reasoning behind their decision: the VAST majority of Windows fanboys are mac-haters with no direct knowledge but a shitpotfull of hearsay reasoning, and their "logic" was untrue when it was applicable, which is 10-20 years ago. Amusingly I see the same with iOS/ Android, iTunes/anything and iPod/others: "Apple created it, Apple creates toys, therefore it is poo". Most of the time, this reasoning is balls.

Whilst that is true in the infantility of these red versus blue arguments, I do think that Windows fanboys exist in a retaliatory sense - there is no question that Mac users started it whether they are right or not. I am stuck with what I know now and that's that, but it does not mean I do not see the superiority of other platforms like OSX or Linux. On a professional level Windows is still banging square pegs into round holes, it's just that modern versions of the OS come with a much bigger hammers.

Without pointing fingers: what, precisely, is the benefit of the Android software licensing arrangement to the average phone user? The software licensing agreement is of precisely zero interest to 99.99% of the tens of millions of non-programmer phone users out there, but it is still used as the primary discriminator - "iOs isn't Open Source, ergo anyone with any sense should avoid it".

I have found that increasingly, young computer users are far, far more interested in programming than they have ever been.  Probably because if you understand your OS's code you can then knock up an app that could make you some money, or just get you some kudos that is equally if not more important at that age.  It used to be a nerds realm (no offence) but now it too is becoming fashionable.  I expect my son to be able to code by the time he's 15, which will be about 20 years before I can.

(If I were a moderator, not that I have any experience in that persuasion, I may consider that this is thread-jacking)

That's only a problem if someone complains (that isn't the thread-jacker), and you know the pleasant and understanding bunch that we have here
Spoiler (hover to show)