General Category > General Discussion

Reader's Nook

<< < (69/71) > >>

smokester:

--- Quote from: christ on October 09, 2023, 11:39:11 AM ---Let the Light Pour In?

--- End quote ---

Whoops. Freudian slip, maybe?

6pairsofshoes:
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm on a tear to finish the Expanse series and with the travel I've been doing lately, that shouldn't take long.  I go through a book every couple of days. 
--- Quote from: smokester on October 09, 2023, 10:50:08 AM ---Hardly what one might call "reading a book" ..., but I treated myself to Lemn Sissay's Let The Love Pour In when it came out.

Must have thumbed through it at least a dozen times so far.

--- End quote ---

That sounds like a great title for a '70's R&B song.

I'll dig around and see what Julian May I can come up with.  slsk is a great resource for that.

6pairsofshoes:
Was it my imagination or was The Many-Colored Land recommended?  This guy is prolific so I'm kind of overwhelmed by the selection.

Some posts disappear and I've been too distracted to remember to quote stuff for safekeeping.

goldshirt*9:
A. J. Smit did a 4 part series called the Black Guard. A tad fantasy but when I read it I thought it wasn't a run of the mill series 🤷‍♂️

6pairsofshoes:
Without internet, I read a lot.  Here's recent musings on books I've finished in the past couple of weeks.

Jas. McBride, Deacon King Kong.  Amusing, although not like the author has lightning bolts coming out of his head or anything.  A sweet little book.

George Elliot, Middlemarch.  Am I getting old or was this a lot longer than necessary?  I prefer Trollope.  Someone said, "you gotta read this, it's by a woman."  So I did.  I still don't get what all the fuss is about.  At least now I can avoid reading anything else by her.  Jane Austen is much better and more succinct among the writers in this genre.

VS Naipaul, A House for Mr. Biswas.  This is a well written book, about a guy who is basically self centered and unlikeable.  I feel sorry for his wife and kids.  Mostly a flashback biography after he dies.  In that, I'm reminded of Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis' Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas, except that the latter is in the first person while Mr. B is told from a 3rd person perspective.  I'm nearly done with it and like it better than the Elliot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version