Author Topic: Cheaper than a gun  (Read 9150 times)

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
Cheaper than a gun
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
Wasp Spray

A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection.  She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended to her that she get a can of wasp spray instead.

The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you.  The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection... Thought this was interesting and might be of use.

Wasp And Hornet Spray
On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life.

Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania Southview High School.  For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed.

Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them."

Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray.  The cans typically shoot 20 to 30 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says, "spray the culprit in the eyes".  It's a tip he's given to students for decades. It's also one he wants everyone to hear. If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray.

"That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out."

Maybe even save a life.
I may not have my Cherry, but I still have the Box it came in.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
Re: Cheaper than a gun
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 05:55:22 AM »
Cheaper that bullets too. Good thing i got bullets stockpiled , now i got to get me some wasp spray.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 05:59:18 AM »
Sounds reasonable, in more ways than one.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
Very reasonable. Plus the criminal has to explain how he got sprayed. lol
I keep my standards low.

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
When you think about it, the wasp spray could save your life. When you pull a gun on someone you have to be willing to kill them. If you take time to think about it, you are taking the chance that in those few seconds you are giving the intruder a chance to take the gun from you and turn it on you. Thinking about taking their life could be all it takes to loose yours. I wouldn't have to think twice about blinding someone who has violated me or my home. Nor would I have a problem with backing that up with a baseball bat to the knee. I would make sure they were going to jail. Not to mention after breaking a knee they would never, ever be able to quickly run away from any future crime they committed.  I'm not sure I could ever be in the frame of mind to kill someone, but could maim them in a heart beat.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
HD,, after an incident I went through some years ago,, I swore I would never be a victim again.
 After having two people come in my home and hold me at gunpoint while robbing me, i got a little callouse.
People have said that my posessions arent worth a persons life.
No,, maybe not,, but someone comming in on me armed is worth thier life.
 As for pulling that perverbial trigger, I would have NO problem.
As for Maiming? Id do it joyfully.
If I didnt do something to stop someone when they violate my life,, theyll just do it to someone that is worse prepared to deal with it next.
 BUT,, the wasp spray is a nice idea.. maybe theyll swallow some of it. lol
I keep my standards low.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
I trust more guns than sprays etc.

Sprays doesn't work every cases,but guns do.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »
Amen brother.
I keep my standards low.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 11:22:41 PM »
I also lucked out on the other side of the ammo shortage.

While I know I would regret it later, there would be no hesitation if I were forced to use my pistol.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 11:33:25 PM »
I wont be the victim again.
I keep my standards low.

Offline HDAngel

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:48 AM »
I know what it is like to be a victim. One morning at at 7:00am I took dropped a neighbor off at a car dealership to pick up his car. I was only gone 20 minutes. My roommate and daughter were asleep in the house. First thing I did when I arrived home was go to turn on my computer, which was on a table in the dinning room. Only my computer wasn't there. The kitchen window was open and the screen was removed. The back sliding back door was open. Lined up next to the sliding back door was my video camera, camera, new sleeping bag and quite a few other things. In the back yard, on the side of the house was my computer. The thieves got away with a brand new still in the boxes, scanner and printer I bought the night before. Thankfully they set my computer down and didn't drop it. The dinning room was in the back of my house. I think I actually walked in on the robbery and the thieves booked it over the fence with the boxes. The cops said they thought they were pros because of how much stuff they had gathered at the back door in such a short time. My roommate was asleep on the couch in the next room and my daughter was upstairs in her room. It don't think it would have hit me as hard as it did if they hadn't been home at the time. But because they were, I felt so violated. My things meant nothing to me. But having my home broken into while my family was there, really hit me hard. The police never caught the thieves. For the longest time I was afraid to leave my home. I own several guns myself and I am a pretty good shot. But, when I think about it, I am still not sure I could take a life. Hopefully that is a choice I will never have to make.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 08:47:01 AM »
Taking a life and taking off a kneecap are two separate things. I would say go for it.

Offline Robin-Graves

• Homo Superior
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »
I was home when the robbery happened,, they held me at gunpoint and left with everything.
 To this day the police havent found a single suspect. Not that I expect them to.
America has the best police money can buy.
BUT,, I will say this,, due to that one incident,, im very callouse when it comes to people like them.
Kneecaps, shoulders, center mass, head shot,, its all the same to me now.
 I can shoot the balls off a gnat at 30 meters with my .45, .357. and 9mm.
We wont go into the obscene distances with my rifles.
A robber doesnt stand a chance.
I keep my standards low.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 07:44:32 AM »
While I fully appreciate that when someone trespasses on your property they pretty much lose all rights to survival, you must remember (you especially RG) that the likelyhood of coming up against someone with a gun during a house burglary is extremely remote here in the UK as opposed to the likelyhood of encountering one in the US.  I fully endorse the use of something like this in any and all homes here - but if I were in the states I would probably opt for a large firearm to be on the safe side.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline nouseforaname

• Neandertal
  • We all pace at our own lengths.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:14 AM »
Wow. That never crossed my mind really. I've used wasp spray in the past for just that but never thought about using it on someone, not that I wouldn't have to though. It's not bad here but that is not a bad idea. I'll definitely suggest this to my friends. Thanks for the post.

I was home when the robbery happened,, they held me at gunpoint and left with everything.
 To this day the police havent found a single suspect. Not that I expect them to.
America has the best police money can buy.
BUT,, I will say this,, due to that one incident,, im very callouse when it comes to people like them.
Kneecaps, shoulders, center mass, head shot,, its all the same to me now.
 I can shoot the balls off a gnat at 30 meters with my .45, .357. and 9mm.
We wont go into the obscene distances with my rifles.
A robber doesnt stand a chance.

You'd be surprised. In America where I live, police either are over protective in the area or don't give a crap about it.

I guess it matters where you live but smokester is right. If anyone tries to rob your house here, they most likely have something on them and you won't know unless you do something about it before they'd get to you. If anything, there are more break-ins with vehicles than homes because no one's watching the car 24/7; a robber can be killed for trespassing in a home so they'd rather risk stealing whatever from a car.

Shitty, I know.