General Category > Music

Instruments and other music related chat

(1/4) > >>

smokester:
I was thinking of learning the double bass as it's something I've always wanted to do. I can't really find any reasons not to, but I can't help feeling that it's a bit of a fanciful idea.

dweez:
Nothing's wrong with "fanciful ideas". They feed the soul. As we get older and "mature" (HA!), we find more and more of a draw on our time, "being adults" and responsible. Things like this, that we do for ourselves, help our mental health and well-being. I say go for it. (Also, as it's music-related, I will always be supportive of that)

8ullfrog:
I have a bass guitar, it's a great dust collector. I should have learned more during the pandemic.

I was reading about eustacian tubes, didn't even realize mine were locked up. I was just looking for the best way to adjust my headphones, and instead found instructions on how to get my head checked.

Specifically, I was experiencing "fullness". Makes sense, I've never really been able to "pop" my ears to equalize pressure. If I do the hold your breath and pop your ears thing, air shoots out of my eyes.

smokester:

--- Quote from: christ on October 01, 2021, 02:28:39 AM ---1) You haven't got a double bass
2) It's hard

Advice from a non-musician:

Start with one bass, move on to the double, and when you get really bored you can try a triple.

--- End quote ---

I don't have a double bass as I was strictly working on the chin first. As a matter of fact: I think I've mastered the quad with that, as it stands.

I have very big, powerful hands and I think they're well suited to the double bass. I was pants at the piano as fingering between 2 black keys resulted in me playing 3 notes at once. Not good unless they're a triad - or yakuza for that matter.

I looked around last night and there are quite a few tutors local to me. If I did embark on this fanciful adventure, I wonder should I buy one of the skinny, electric double bass or an old fashioned wooden one? I would like to be able to practice without annoying the cat or other members of the family.

8ullfrog:
My bass amp has a headphone jack.

I also went to a swap meet and got an even smaller bass amp that runs off a 9v battery. Also has a headphone jack.

My guitar has a 9v battery to run the electronic features, but my roommate has lost it and has yet to replace it. I don't even know how to replace the plastic socket. It's an Ibanez.

aww, they make a bunch of cute little ones now, mine is super ugly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version