Author Topic: London riots.  (Read 8712 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
London riots.
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:39:37 PM »
Anyone that has been awake sometime within the last 3 days may know of the appalling riots in London.  I have now heard that it is kicking off not a mile from my house in Clapham Junction, although it is as yet unreported.

These are not race riots like we have had in the past (probably rightly so too), these are opportunists organising themselves for a looting fest and are doing so via all the social network facilities that are commonplace nowadays. 

I was told that the groups started to assemble at around 6.30pm this evening waiting for their numbers to be strong enough to take down some of the big sports outlets.  Surely though the police should have figured something was up when youths started to gather all looking like the Taliban? Maybe they were too scared to tackle them as I can tell you I would be.

It's going to get a lot hotter before it gets better and at the moment that looks like a good few days away;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14439970
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
Re: London riots.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:50:41 PM »
It's looking pretty scary down there, I hope it hasn't spread too close to where you are. It's started kicking off in Birmingham as well so maybe just a matter of time before it spreads further north. I hope when all the rioting finally stops that the shooting of Mark Duggan (and the shooting of another man this evening in Croydon) aren't trotted out as excuses for the looting and arson that's taken place.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »
Clapham junction is quite near me and Lavender hill is at the bottom of my road.  A lot of the vandals are heading up this way so I am keeping an eye on my bike as there have been some cars set alight, but to be honest I am not going to mess with them if that did happen.

They have decimated St John's rd which is the first shopping street from the station, and I don't think they've stopped yet. Sky news is running it live and frequently show Clapham, but compared to Croydon I think we got off light.

I can't believe Camden kicked off too, as a lot of the people around there consider it almost sacred. Hopefully though that got contained quickly is the police weren't dealing with multiple riots like they were in south London.

Apparently in my mum's area, which is about a sleepy as it gets in London, there were no riots but a group of people looted Waitrose - I can only imagine how many of them were wearing Tweed.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
It just said on BBC news that there are reports of "police cars set alight" in south Liverpool. That's quite unusual for a Monday night, that more of a weekend sport down there.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
I am a bit surprised that Manchester hasn't joined the party yet? Or perhaps they're waiting for the second half when they'll let Rooney out with a box of matches.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
I am a bit surprised that Manchester hasn't joined the party yet? Or perhaps they're waiting for the second half when they'll let Rooney out with a box of matches.

If they rioted in Moss Side or Salford nobody would really notice the difference.  :)

Hopefully the shop I work in won't be involved in the unpleasantness since it's in one of the better off areas of the city. I may turn up there tomorrow to find the local youths making Molotov cocktails out of bottles of Pimms.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:16 PM »
I say give the bobbies back their guns.

But seriously, stay safe smokester, and anyone else near it.  Hopefully it will run itself out soon.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 02:35:43 AM »
I'm just waking up to see Chek's area in tatters. Incredible scenes and I hear Toxteth up by Red also had trouble.

The police are helpless as the can't arrest the big groups, and have no chance of arresting individuals within those groups as that's even more dangerous. Guns would be hopeless as the are twice as many spectators in amongst it filming it on their phones. Those onlookers need to go home and then the military needs to be mobilised with rubber bullets and tear gas.

I also think the PM should have announced a mandatory 1 year prison sentence for anyone involved. He could have sorted out the legalities with the law lords later on, and it would have stopped the puny opportunists from getting involved.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 05:16:21 AM »
I also think the PM should have announced a mandatory 1 year prison sentence for anyone involved. He could have sorted out the legalities with the law lords later on, and it would have stopped the puny opportunists from getting involved.

I think he was rather too busy posing with waitresses on his fourth summer holiday. Besides which aren't the prisons meant to be full? They could put them all in Pontins, that would teach them a lesson.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
They could put them all in Pontins, that would teach them a lesson.

^ lol I had to Google that :P

The first day I saw news about it.. they mentioned Tottenham and I got all excited because I knew where that was 8)

I saw today that some England/Netherlands match got cancelled because of everything.. so things must be very very overly serious to go to that extreme :D

All jokes aside, stay safe.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:52 AM »
I was going to go shopping today! >:(

A friend called me at 4am (!) asking if I'm OK, and then criticising me for apparently sounding apathetic  :-\

A friend from Staines called me a while ago to tell me there's apparently been trouble in Hounslow so the shops in Staines High Street are being vewwy careful.  People gave him funny looks because he wore a hoody.

Boris Johnson certainly had a hard time at Clapham Junction, I made this face: :o

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:05:12 PM »
I had to go to a petrol station today just to get bread and milk.  Even the corner shops are closed and they open on Christmas day!!

Clapham is nearly a no go area this evening, with all the main drags being closed off or have a heavy police presence. It almost feels like we are in a Vampiric state because as soon as the light goes, all the freaks come out.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:26:49 PM »
i hope your safe and well .
my wife is at / was at london today for a girlie day out , booked it 5 months ago and is having to go to the train early , although 27 women on a day out drinking vodka and such , I'd be worried for the rioters thieves.
So agree on your comment about Rioters.bunch of opportunistic thieves that's all.
 what are they rioting over. designer clothing and tv's  nothing else.
Bring back the Riot act .
let the Police / Army just go in and give them a good beating.

The Police are in a no win situation, harm someone and the press will crucify them and yet do nothing the press will crucify them.
Too many softies in charge .

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 01:09:17 PM »
The solution to all this I will say quite honestly: National Service!!!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 01:23:58 PM »
The solution to all this I will say quite honestly: National Service!!!
i suggested the exact thing earlier on today
no one on the social , all getting paid , have a job , paying taxes.
win win  for the government i'd say.  ;D