Author Topic: London riots.  (Read 8710 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: London riots.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
It appears there may be some vigilantes being mobilsed this evening, and I wholeheartedly support them.  They are saying that they will "citizen arrest" anyone breaking the law and wait for the police to collect them.  Some of the chaps looked pretty damn tough too.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 03:58:30 PM »
I figured this was important:
http://uk.eonline.com/news/ask_the_answer_bitch/kate_middleton_safe_london_burns/257078

::)

The police helicopters are flying low enough to make my windows shake.  The armoured police vehicles on TV look so cool, I want one!

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 03:45:26 AM »
So the rioting seems to have abated and the police are arresting people for crimes ranging from theft to murder. Kids seem to be getting away scot-free because of their age (too young to be imprisoned maybe but not too young to use a dustpan and brush to help clean up the mess they contributed to I reckon), whilst those facing tougher judges have been hit hard - six months prison for stealing a bottle of water.  :o

I suppose those not yet arrested will be quaking in their newly stolen Reeboks.

There are aspects of the way this whole thing was handled by the government and police which rile me. Seeing Cameron enjoying his holiday in Italy while London was burning was revolting. Seeing lines of riot police defending uninhabited large stores and businesses while communities had to defend their own small shops and homes themselves - and in some cases losing their lives doing so - and seeing rioters being moved back instead of arrested, especially in the original North London riot before things got too out of hand.
Plus of course this gives the Tories carte blanche to rewrite the law and bring in whatever draconian measures they see fit without anyone daring to really oppose it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 04:09:06 AM »
Yes, lets lock away a 17 year old because he aspired to a new pair of trainers that he could never have afforded in real life, and while we are at it we can give a stern telling off to the minister who stole tens of thousands of tax payers pounds to have his moat cleaned - except let's not bother with the "telling off" bit.

What the gubmint fails to recognise, especially where I live, is 20 metres from where the looting happened in Battersea, an area that has been decribed and redescribed as an area full of trendy young professionals, dressed in nice clothes and all wanting just to hang out in the swish bars on that road, is the Winstanley estate which is where the "So Solid Crew" hail from and is so economically deprived that even the Doctors surgery on the estate has to have boarded up windows as the norm. That economic situation seems to be mirrored in a lot of the locations where trouble flared.

Of course none of it was right, but I don't think that the uprising was without a root cause that has yet to be addressed.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 06:09:08 PM »
Cameron is talking about evicting people from their rented homes if their kids were involved in the rioting. I believe some of the rioters were from well off backgrounds. I wonder what similar punishment he has planned for their families? /sarcasm

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »
I wonder how are they handling this. Cause if we were talking about Hugo Chávez we wouldn't be surprised (or at least we South Americans wouldn't be). But this is the UK and I confess I am surprised.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 07:55:26 PM »
Cameron is talking about evicting people from their rented homes if their kids were involved in the rioting. I believe some of the rioters were from well off backgrounds. I wonder what similar punishment he has planned for their families? /sarcasm

I'm actually pretty shocked at the professions of some of the looters: Graphic designer, Primary school mentor, Ballerina, Jedi (ok, I made the last one up)(or did I...).

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I wonder how are they handling this. Cause if we were talking about Hugo Chávez we wouldn't be surprised (or at least we South Americans wouldn't be). But this is the UK and I confess I am surprised.

Anyone can set up a free blog or forum in a couple of minutes.  All you'd need to do then is post what you want on one of those via your phone and then txt everyone with the link. There is no need of social networks as such to spread information, it's all just smoke and mirrors really.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »
All the more preposterous. That's why I don't understand they say they will do something highly questionable when they can't do it in the 1st place.

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 11:12:05 AM »
I'm glad you guys are safe.  I hope you stay that way.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 03:52:34 AM »
Because they don't understand what they are saying. Government representatives talking about new technology is like a toddler talking about nuclear physics: they can use a few of the right words, and can sometimes by luck string them together into semi-coherent sentences, but they have no idea what they mean.

I once heard one of them talking about "Twatter". I'm not entirely sure of the context as I use a word quite similar to that when talking about some politicians, so he might not have had his foot in his mouth,

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »
It's scary though what people in control can manage to do.. even if it's short lived and ham handed..

Cell Service Shutdown Raises Free Speech Questions

http://www.npr.org/tablet/#story/?url=/2011/08/16/139656641/cell-service-shutdown-raises-free-speech-questions

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »
in a foreign country its progress to a revolution and freedom.
in the uk its Sedition 
go figure

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 04:28:26 AM »
Never a truer word was spoken.

Double standards really irritate me.

They are, unfortunately, inescapable.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 08:01:09 AM »
When you are me, everything is inescapable!
ha ha  :o

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »
When you are me, everything is inescapable!

In that case, being irritated by them would be ever so slightly masochistic.