Author Topic: Does anyone use a Netti pot?  (Read 9462 times)

Offline mishca09

• Q
Does anyone use a Netti pot?
« on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:01 PM »
I just started using one recently , although I don't use it as often as they recommend, I;ve found that it helps clear out my nose a bit when I have a stuff nose. And it is a bit awkward at first and a little bit uncomfortable and a little gross.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Does anyone use a Netti pot?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:29:21 AM »
o no i have never used.
looks a little like self waterboarding.
have you ever breathed in when you use it  :o

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:22 AM »
At one time I wanted to, but I can never get used to the feeling. You can buy saline mist pre-mixed in spray form too, but it's expensive.

My friend that uses one all the time swears by them, but she also has constant sinus infections. I'm always suspicious she's doing it wrong and passing germs, instead of flushing properly.

Another friend of mine has finally developed allergies after being in the United States for a full year now. He didn't have them where he lived. He asked me what to do about stuffiness.. I told him most days I just try to 'tune it out'/ignore it... He didn't like that answer ::) :D

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:18:20 AM by Skadi »

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »
o no i have never used.
looks a little like self waterboarding.
have you ever breathed in when you use it  :o

Almost but I have to stop and remind myself not to breathe through the nose.
At one time I wanted to, but I can never get used to the feeling. You can buy saline mist pre-mixed in spray form too, but it's expensive.

My friend that uses one all the time swears by them, but she also has constant sinus infections. I'm always suspicious she's doing it wrong and passing germs, instead of flushing properly.

Another friend of mine has finally developed allergies after being in the United States for a full year now. He didn't have them where he lived. He asked me what to do about stuffiness.. I told him most days I just try to 'tune it out'/ignore it... He didn't like that answer ::) :D

The feeling can be unpleasant but I can stand it for a  few mins if it means I'll be able to breathe again.
I sometimes ignore it.to but.sometimes its just really unfortable. Ive seen those pre mixed sprays and they r expensive. It may be worth it.if someone doesnt like the netti pot.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Noses can be such bad designs at times. Not to mention "backs".
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
I've never actually used the pot, but made up the ingredients with (cooled) boiled water, salt, and baking soda, and used a dropper. i also use prescription stuff (Flonase), but not much seems to help, i get sinus infections 3-4 times a year  :-\

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:55:12 PM »
When you get a sinus infection do diary products have a weird taste? I had a sinus infection early this month and anything diary tasted like tangy butter. Do you like honey ?  spring honey from your local bee farm is suppose to help with your allergies

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
I told him most days I just try to 'tune it out'/ignore it... He didn't like that answer ::) :D

Neither would I, "zyrtec" might have been more consoling to him; it's basically what I live with daily every summer, seems to help much more than claritin ever did for me.

When you get a sinus infection do diary products have a weird taste? I had a sinus infection early this month and anything diary tasted like tangy butter. Do you like honey ?  spring honey from your local bee farm is suppose to help with your allergies

I don't think that's limited to dairy products since taste works off of our sense of smell mainly, instead I would say, it's more noticeable with dairy or other foods with pronounced taste.

I also know somebody who swears by them and benefits greatly from using them.

Also, because Dr.Oz says so so it must be written in the books for all eternity.

Spoiler (hover to show)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:03:36 PM by hmed2390 »
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »
Noses can be such bad designs at times. Not to mention "backs".

I wonder why testicles are stored outside the body where they are vulnerable to sharp impacts when they should be encased safely in the body on a mini ribcage for added protection. God must be a woman.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
I wonder why testicles are stored outside the body where they are vulnerable to sharp impacts when they should be encased safely in the body on a mini ribcage for added protection. God must be a woman.

So tthe internal body temperature doesn't destroy sperm production, they're much cooler outside of the body.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
So tthe internal body temperature doesn't destroy sperm production, they're much cooler outside of the body.

Evolution should have made sperm a bit more resilient rather than the current design flaw that is male genitalia.

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
How did we go from Netti pots to talking about sperm?
--dweez

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 07:12:54 PM »
How did we go from Netti pots to talking about sperm?

Ask redlandslide.

Evolution should have made sperm a bit more resilient rather than the current design flaw that is male genitalia.

I'd like to hear an alternative if you have one, but take into account everything else that would have to change to work its way around it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:17:16 PM by hmed2390 »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

From what I have witnessed animals have a pretty tough time distinguishing male from female (judging by the dogs around here at least), so I guess the dangly bits might help eliminate that problem when a species' IQ has risen to above 10.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Online dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 02:39:08 PM »

How many effin' people do we have in the world right now?  I think evolution did just fine.
--dweez