Author Topic: The Sword  (Read 18901 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
The Sword
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:12:49 PM »

Dara Brighton lives pretty much a 'normal' existence, except that she is confined to a wheelchair. Her father is a world history teacher at the local high school, her mom is more-or-less a housewife, and her older sister who has recently graduated from college.

One evening the family is all together having dinner when there's a knock at the door. The older sister answers and leads back to the dining room a man who claims to know the father. The father is puzzled and clearly doesn't recognize the man. The stranger begins calling the father Demetrios (not his given name) and demanding that he hand over 'The Sword'. Two more strangers, a woman and another, younger man show up and take the family hostage and Dara is knocked from her wheelchair.

As the interrogation of 'Demetrios' goes nowhere, the younger guy is ordered to kill the older sister - which he does by manipulating the water in a nearby glass into a razor-sharp ice crescent and slicing her open. The mother becomes defiant and is killed by the older man when he telekinetically pulls three stones from the nearby fireplace and and tosses them at her with a force that breaks her neck. The father still claims ignorance and the older man orders the female to loosen his tongue, which she does by creating electricity that runs through her hands and jolting him.

Claiming that she believed he could take it, she accidentally overdoes it, fries him and he dies. Her display has also caused the house to begin to burn. As they leave in defeat, the female decides as almost an afterthought that they should kill Dara as well. But before the woman fries the helpless girl, a beam falls from the ceiling and lands right on top of Dara, more or less assured the girl is dead, the woman leaves.

But Dara was only pushed through the floor into a cavity beneath the house, and as she looks in front of her there is a sword sticking in the ground. She touches the hilt and immediately feels a jolt run through her as all of her wounds heal and her legs begin to function again. Ultimately, the sword will do a lot of amazing things.

At her family's funerals, she meets one of her father's former students who tells her of the stories her dad would 'make up' about a swordsman named Demetrios who over 4,000 years ago thwarted 3 individuals who could control elements. Dara uses these second-hand tales to discover the names and locations of these three so she can kill them.

This is some good poo right here.

Offline CMF

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
Re: The Sword
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 05:21:57 AM »
How many issues are published?
Wiki says 15, but I found only 13 on the noid.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
The most current issue is #14 and it came out about 2 weeks ago...  :)

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 02:02:34 AM »
Were upto #18 now and man......this is my first finger twitchin, cant wait for the next issue comic. Jack nursemaided me through a few different comics to get me slowly interested and I have to admit Y-The Last Man did just that. I started out with serious obsticles going from novels to comics as they were not nearly as detailed.......well, in text that is. When he gave me the background on The Sword that was it, I knew I would be hooked and it is awesome. Of course I am a fan of the horror genre of film and this keeps me hooked from that aspect to the Sci-Fi to the Drama. I gotta back him up on this recommendation, it is EXCELLENT. But that's it.....I refuse to agree with anything else he says.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:04:54 AM by ohcheap1 »

Offline CMF

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:49:32 AM »
OC1 liking some comics..... it must be good  :P

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 11:20:43 AM »
I'm glad you decided to read this cheapy.  ;D

It's really honestly one of the best comics no one's reading, so it's nice to see someone who doesn't normally read comics enjoying it so much.

OC1 liking some comics..... it must be good  :P

It comes with a very high recommendation. The book is really great CMF.  8)

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
It comes with a very high recommendation. The book is really great CMF.  8)

totally agree....only problem is it doesn't come out enough
"Misa Misa"

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »
Im jumping on that bandwagon Jackal. The comics Ive read so far have been completed and published. So I could just breeze right through them. The Sword marks the first time I have to wait for an issue to be released. This is hard I tell you. >:( At least with The Stand I'll know what Im missing, somewhat.........

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
Im jumping on that bandwagon Jackal. The comics Ive read so far have been completed and published. So I could just breeze right through them. The Sword marks the first time I have to wait for an issue to be released. This is hard I tell you. >:( At least with The Stand I'll know what Im missing, somewhat.........

Well, there will be another Stand mini-series starting in October, so if you keep current with those books, you'll have another monthly wait ahead.  ;)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 10:18:54 AM »
Yeah, I have several "arcs" that I'm waiting to be completely released before I continue.
--dweez

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:20:37 AM »
Well, there will be another Stand mini-series starting in October, so if you keep current with those books, you'll have another monthly wait ahead.  ;)

Well, its still The Stand continued. And whats even more frustrating here is they take breaks between the new "sub titles" 2 months between Cpt Trips and American Night and 2 months between America Night and Soul Survivors. Thats totally UNFAIR!! Im starting a petition to end this insanity right now!!!

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »
Well, its still The Stand continued. And whats even more frustrating here is they take breaks between the new "sub titles" 2 months between Cpt Trips and American Night and 2 months between America Night and Soul Survivors. Thats totally UNFAIR!! Im starting a petition to end this insanity right now!!!

poo, that's nothing.

Camelot 3000 which was supposed to be 12 monthly issues took 3 years to produce and there was an 8 month gap between issues #11 & #12

There was a 15 year gap between the comic Mage: The Hero Discovered and it's sequel Mage: The Hero Defined.

There was a year between Miracleman #15 and #16.

There was a full 2 year gap between Planetary #16 and #17, which the writer then topped with a 3-year gap between issue #26 and the as-yet-unpublished final issue #27.

So you're making out pretty easy, in my estimation.  ;) ;D :P

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:59:59 AM »
Well, I guess I will see if I can stand the test of endurance then. Although I went through "Girls" in 2 days, didnt practice any endurance there AT ALL! That was a fun one.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
Well, I guess I will see if I can stand the test of endurance then. Although I went through "Girls" in 2 days, didnt practice any endurance there AT ALL! That was a fun one.

Well, sure, but all the issues of Girls have been published so there was no waiting involved...  ;) :D

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:35:42 PM »

Don't even remind me of Girls.....grrrrr
"Misa Misa"

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »
Why? Were hoping to be an egg supporter Jackal? What did you think of it?

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »

Don't even remind me of Girls.....grrrrr

Why does Girls make you angry? ??? :P

Offline jackalope21

• Homo Superior
  • Stalking Kristen Bell
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 05:01:13 PM »

oh, i loved the series......but reading it in floppies (code for monthly, OC1) was really frustrating ....Had to stop half way through and pick up the gorgeous hardcover when it was all complete
"Misa Misa"

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 10:01:26 AM »

oh, i loved the series......but reading it in floppies (code for monthly, OC1) was really frustrating ....Had to stop half way through and pick up the gorgeous hardcover when it was all complete

Yes, that hardcover is pretty sweet, I have one m'self - and I hope they do one for The Sword when it's finished...