Author Topic: How to Read my Routers Settings? Help?  (Read 14667 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: How to Read my Routers Settings? Help?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »
If I could do that then I wouldnt need this thread....... ::)  ;)

Exactly, so what was the point of this post?

I can set up a new connection

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 07:30:03 PM »
Im thinking whoever ends up actually helping may have to dig alittle deeper than the obvious.  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 02:50:17 AM »
Im thinking whoever ends up actually helping may have to dig alittle deeper than the obvious.  :D

So you are assuming you are infallable and are not entertaining the obvious in favour of something more complicated?

$10 says you have mistyped your password (albeit Zimbabwean dollars).

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 07:03:25 AM »
One of your screenshots regarding the Wifi connection says "ISP Setting is not correct".

Based on the fact that you can get on the internet over the wired connection (you can right?), then this would seem to indicate that your connection configuration for the wireless isn't correct (could be as simple as the "wrong password" smokes said but typically, you would actually get an "Incorrect password" error in those cases).

I'd actually consider contacting your ISP (I know, more tech support calls...sorry :( ) and having them verify the configuration.
--dweez

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
  • ALTAR GIRL & Secretary to the Mostly High Rev. AJ
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm not familiar with Linux, so I don't know if what I know about configuring networks would help. I'm not bad with Vista and a NetGear router. If there is any similarity, I would hit Run>cmd>ipconfig /all, and note the settings there. Then go to START>Settings>Control Panel>Networks and Sharing>Manage Networks>right click the network you use to connect to the internet>Propertie>IPv4>Properties, these should match. The DHCP server and Gateway should not be the same(and this is where the problem I think you're describing often comes from), if they are either get the correct one from your isp, or from your routers device settings.  Now, this may be totally useless to you, as I said it is for Vista/NetGear. But I run both a wireless home network and a lan ethernet on my computers.

This is a pretty good all around info link. It touches on the ping command, which can be very helpful in pinpointing  problems.
http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/network.htm
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:08:00 AM by knownassociate »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
I presumed that OC was using another one of her router/modem ports to use the internet from a different machine, and I suggested to her to try that lead in her ASUS (careful how I spell that).  I had to fix this for someone using the same kneetop and linux only last week, and it turned out that the WEP key on the bottom of her router was not the right key - the key was in fact her AOL password.  While this wouldn't connect it gave a dchp error which said something was "sleeping" but it was not obvious that the key was wrong.  It was only when I researched the error that I saw that for the majority that people had reported the problem, it had been about not entering the WEP correctly and I worked from that basis.  My neighbours in question had not been able to use their PS3 or NDS' because of this, and as soon as it was worked out all of those things got a connection.  Simple solution to a problem they have had for over 8 months.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
I presumed that OC was using another one of her router/modem ports to use the internet from a different machine, and I suggested to her to try that lead in her ASUS (careful how I spell that).  I had to fix this for someone using the same kneetop and linux only last week, and it turned out that the WEP key on the bottom of her router was not the right key - the key was in fact her AOL password.  While this wouldn't connect it gave a dchp error which said something was "sleeping" but it was not obvious that the key was wrong.  It was only when I researched the error that I saw that for the majority that people had reported the problem, it had been about not entering the WEP correctly and I worked from that basis.  My neighbours in question had not been able to use their PS3 or NDS' because of this, and as soon as it was worked out all of those things got a connection.  Simple solution to a problem they have had for over 8 months.

OK, this may be something, I dont know. When I typing the config addy for the modem 192.168.1.1 I am asked to supply my username and password. I even called ATT to verify that I am using the correct one, but I cant get passed it. When I enter the router config 192.168.0.1 I get nada.

I did try re routing the modem connection into the ASUS but I still got no connection. There is some config that I have not adjusted.

I am a novice at this so dont expect me to be able to resolve in the way that you could Smokes. Im taking your lead completely

Is the Zonet a router/ modem? I had assumed that it was simply a router.

Yep the router

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 11:09:54 AM »
Are you saying you can't open the router settings? If not, and you have never set up a username and password to log into the router settings, then there are usually default passwords/usernames for the different kinds of routers. Let me know if you do need that, I might be able to help.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »
^ nope ^

Here are ping settings. Just trying everything

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 11:20:24 AM »
Are you saying you can't open the router settings? If not, and you have never set up a username and password to log into the router settings, then there are usually default passwords/usernames for the different kinds of routers. Let me know if you do need that, I might be able to help.

When I type in 192.168.1.1, the addy on the back of the router, this is what I get

If I could get the username and password box to appear I might be able to do something. I am reading through these Google posts now. And I see your guest/guest is accurate to use if I ever get the sign in box to appear

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 11:23:13 AM »
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1714248-dont_know_user_name_password_tried

All Products > Zonet > (ZSR0104UP) Router > Troubleshooting
Zonet Router
posted by artur5_5 on Feb 25, 2009

i dont know the user name and password, i tried admin but doesnt work, maby my sister changed something because she wanted to put a password but she doesnt remember what she did

Solution #1

try this:

username: Admin
password: password

EDIT:
OK, I see, I thought you'd posted that you got the log on screen
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:27:21 AM by knownassociate »

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
http://www.fixya.com/support/t1714248-dont_know_user_name_password_tried

All Products > Zonet > (ZSR0104UP) Router > Troubleshooting
Zonet Router
posted by artur5_5 on Feb 25, 2009

i dont know the user name and password, i tried admin but doesnt work, maby my sister changed something because she wanted to put a password but she doesnt remember what she did

Solution #1

try this:
username: Admin
password: password

The box never pops up so I do not have the opportunity to type anything in.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 11:28:43 AM »
username: guest
password: guest

If this doesn't work, then:

... and then:

username: guest
password: guest

I did but I will try it again.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:01 AM »
I printed it out yesterday. I did what you instructions called for and this is the stats I get since I reset it.

Ill stop for a bit and reread some more

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 11:56:53 AM »
Christ......YOU DID IT!!  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  That's something I havent said in along time. I am online and I have no idea why. lol Thanks for being so patient everyone. I swear I tried resetting once before and nada, but it worked like a charm this time. Again, thanks for everyones feedback on this issue. I really learned alot here and I PROMISE to retain it all.  :D