Author Topic: I want this...  (Read 121864 times)

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
Re: I want this...
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I just lost my post >:(

ok.. so.. again ::)

It isnt the fealing of power, it isnt the awsome feeling of holding the most evil thing in the world ( a gun is only as evil as the person using it, much like a hammer or a car).

^ No, I totally get that. That's why I posted the bit below earlier. I think some people get mad at gun people, because they think they're hotheads. But people can have 'reverence' for guns on both sides. Both sides realize the awe and responsibility of them. It's just the 'different' thing. I just can't 'do' the gun thing. But that doesn't mean you don't show reverence for the responsibility because you do. It all sort of clicked in a new way when I'd read what you wrote.

And I definitely get the 'precision' thing. I love archery and Kendo. So, I get that whole feel. I just can't handle the gun thing personally.

Guns are just.. awesome, in the sense they ilicit an overwhelming feeling of reverence. But for other people, it's a different kind of reverece. Still respectful, but other people embrace guns. We're al just .. different.

---

Mainly by people that are suposed to be licensed to carry them ( ie cops).

A few minutes ago a friend of mine who's a cop was joking around and punched me in the shoulder. But... he's standing around with a gun, and in uniform...it's not like I could really punch him back ::) ..I should have made a big scene and yelled, 'help, I'm being opressed' :D

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:30:56 PM by Skadi »

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2009, 05:54:06 PM »
I would have.
I do kendo also,, it helps clear my mind.
 People get this kick from trashing gun owners, and making comments about "illeagal" guns.
Myine have allways been legal, and I wish they wouldnt bunch me into the group of criminals they refer too. I find it very offensive.
Not to mention they like to mention all the gun deaths every year when the deaths from car accidents far outweigh the deaths by guns.
If they want to outlaw guns, then they should outlaw cars.
And since many gun deaths are by cops and young wannabee gangbangers, maybe we should outlaw cops and teenagers too while we are at it.
Just trying to make things fare. I want things to be fare.
But,, if we outlaw all guns, what next? Knives? sticks? Sharp pieces of glass?
I just want things to be fare, thats what I want.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »
I want these I want my youtube link to work :'(

badness for not working >:( --->

maybe I'm just being spacy.. ???

..and..if I were a mean person.. which I'm not :-\ ..I'd want a futuristic laser gun to incinerate the dogs who live next door to me. I like dogs.. but those things are enormously annoying.. Almost as annoying as the pleading whiny passive way their owners say 'noooo' to them ::)

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2009, 05:05:04 AM »
That's neat Skadi. :)

Looks like learning to balance is a funny task though :D

Quote from:  Skadi
I'd want a futuristic laser gun to incinerate the dogs who live next door to me. I like dogs.. but those things are enormously annoying

:D
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2009, 09:20:52 AM »
..and..if I were a mean person.. which I'm not :-\ ..I'd want a futuristic laser gun to incinerate the dogs who live next door to me. I like dogs.. but those things are enormously annoying.. Almost as annoying as the pleading whiny passive way their owners say 'noooo' to them ::)

Which of course is who you really want to shoot. Not the dogs fault that they are canine living in a human world, its the humans fault for not training them.

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2009, 09:35:47 AM »
Which of course is who you really want to shoot. Not the dogs fault that they are canine living in a human world, its the humans fault for not training them.

LOL.. no.. the dogs are pretty ugly and annoying in their own right :D

And, I don't want to shoot them per se.. I just want to have a nerdy looking nifty lazoooooor gun that just makes them 'poof' in a dramatic puff of smoke, and immediacy :D ..as far as I care ..it can just send them to another dimension somewhere ;D

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #171 on: August 20, 2009, 04:22:55 AM »
poof? pooooof? I thought zap? was the official sound a lazer gun makes?  pfft. :D

edit: oops. nevermind. ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:26:36 AM by hmed2390 »

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #172 on: August 20, 2009, 06:30:44 AM »
^yeah..it be funnier if they had no sound, no warning.. just 'poof' and they're gone :D

Offline chekovsulu

• Human
  • With powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear.
    • TITLE!
« Reply #173 on: August 20, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »
...Kendo...
...kendo...
Is Kendo better than "Western" sword-fighting?  I've always wondered if a fencer using a sabre, or maybe a rapier, would be able to hold his own against someone using a katana.

Now Zoidberg is the popular one!

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #174 on: August 20, 2009, 12:49:15 PM »
Is Kendo better than "Western" sword-fighting?  I've always wondered if a fencer using a sabre, or maybe a rapier, would be able to hold his own against someone using a katana.

I would say Yes, the Katana is better.

A Rapier has a thin blade which uses the point.

A Saber is more a Cavalierly sword which uses the edge.

They are both single handed swords.

A Katana uses both the point and the edge, and it's handle is long so that is can be used with one hand or two.

I have a Bokken (wooden Katana) that I play with.  ;D

Offline Robin-Graves

• Rev AJ's Grand Inquisitor
  • Homo Superior
  • Power doesnt give you the right
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »
I have a boken too,,
I learned kendo over a period of years when my dad was stationed in Japan.
 Its more precise than fencing,, and takes alot more concentration. Not to mention every move, position and strike has a specific name and use.
Fencing is just mindless kid games compared to kendo.
My former sensei told me once that back in the 12th century, a kendo master once was able to litteraly cut an oponent with his boken.
 Thats impresive, and must have a basis in truth concidering bokens are illeagal to cary in Japan.
 I took some fencing in college, and fencing doesnt even compare to kendo.
I keep my standards low.
That way im never disapointed.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2009, 04:09:23 PM »
The ones we have (a few friends of mine) are made from Oak.

I hand carved a wakizashi out of Oak, it is a replica of a Paul Chen one.

You know when you have been hit with one of them.

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2009, 07:07:10 PM »
^yeah..it be funnier if they had no sound, no warning.. just 'poof' and they're gone :D

;D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »
Is Kendo better than "Western" sword-fighting?  I've always wondered if a fencer using a sabre, or maybe a rapier, would be able to hold his own against someone using a katana.

I think all kinds of sword fighting is cool. Kendo is just completely cool in its own way. And.. I'd say Japanese swords are superior to any. But.. if somone supplied data that said the opposite.. I wouldn't argue. But.. I've seen a few shows on the subject.. and Japanese swords do usually win out.

Most the kendo sticks (Shinai) I?ve seen and used are strips of bamboo bound together.

One way to score a point is to hit someone on top of the head. At demonstrations it?s funny because the kendo masters usually let their opponents get a free head shot to end the fight. That way they can keep the challenges moving. In real kendo it?s obviously smoother, more equally matched, and more agile >_< But yeah.. in demonstations they just patiently let people bonk them over and over :D

Here?s a pic I took last year that shows how well kendo gear protects from head hits. The person challenging in this pic was a little boy, so the kendo guy got down to his level. It was super cute  I also listed a site that explains points.

The sport of kendo

In kendo, points are allocated for hits with the shinai on certain target areas of the head and body, the Japanese name for which must be called out as you aim for it. There are five areas:
-dead center on top of the head protector
-slightly left or right on top of the head protector
-throat thrust
-the right wrist
-the chest protector, just under the right arm
The fight lasts for a specified period and is won either when someone reaches two points from hits to the appropriate areas or when the time ends and someone is leading 1-0. The match is declared a draw if the time ends with both players on the same score or the match can be continued until one player scores.
Despite the formality of the bouts, kendo is more than just a sport. It sustains traditions and encourages mental as well as physical strength and dexterity. Clubs are springing up around the world, fascinated with the skill and glamour of this ancient art.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:58:20 PM by Skadi »

Offline hmed2390

• Human
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2009, 05:48:25 AM »
Really neat Skadi. :)
Thanks for including all of the info too.  ;)