Author Topic: Local time in Member view  (Read 33278 times)

Offline hmed2390

• Human
  • Oh boy what a big mess, even Mickey's on acid!
Re: Local time in Member view
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 02:04:19 AM »
Just enough.  :D
A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. -Mark Twain

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 03:24:07 AM »
I'm by no means a developer, and I know little about coding, but I have an idea; would it be possible to read the system clock for each user, and display it somehow? or would that open up too many security holes?

That was my first instinct but the system clock would only reflect the time according to your own time setting and not other people's.

I just tried an experiment with the posts template by adding  $context['current_time'] to the avatar area.
It screwed the post alignments up and unfortunately only displays the time according to each logged user. Everyone will see the time differently according to their own timezone settings. It does have potential to work with some code changes. I am not sure I can do that myself either. I will check with someone that may though, and get back to you if you want to try it.  :)

Thanks as always Buster for your advice and input.  I was going to request this mod over on SMF and see what people would come up with, but after looking around at many types of forum, I have noticed that it has not been acheived anywhere I can find other than embedding a world clock via HTML.  That said you may have noticed the Countdown mod I use here that does calculate the time accurately for each member in relation with their time setting (the "CD" in the button list) that would suggest to me that a custom BBCode tag may be able to solve the problem and allow it in the signature field.  Either that or there may be a clock that can be installed seperately on the site and easily linked to?

I will chop these posts out and start another thread for this as it is quite interesting.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline knownassociate

• Cro-Magnon
  • ALTAR GIRL & Secretary to the Mostly High Rev. AJ
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
I'm way out of my element and this may have no connection at all, but remember the member maps? Did those have a local time connected to each member? Would this be usable?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 10:50:07 AM »
I'm way out of my element and this may have no connection at all, but remember the member maps? Did those have a local time connected to each member? Would this be usable?

Do you mean this thread?  That is the sort of thing I was trying with an embedded world clock.

Offline busterone

• Australopithecus
  • Awaholi Gihli
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 11:03:57 AM »
ahh, i know what she is referring to now. I remember (you know the place. I am not sure if I should name where) We once had the google member map mod as trial. You have to install the mod and obtain a map key from google. Then set the permissions for each membergroup to be able to pin their position on the world map. There is also a permission setting for who can view the map.  That map was kinda cool, but it did not display the time zones.

It was scrapped because of conflict with other modifications I think, but that was done before I was on staff, so I am not even certain of that.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »
Memorandum:My timezone is GMT+2

Time now:02:09 in tuesday night.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 04:29:18 AM »
Ok, look at my sig and tell me if it is working ok please?

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »
It is but I thought you were 4 hours ahead of me? It's 12:33pm here. I like it Smokes!! Can we use it yet?

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
It is but I thought you were 4 hours ahead of me? It's 12:33pm here. I like it Smokes!! Can we use it yet?

It varies depending on DST.  

It can be used but unfortunately dweez or myself will have to change them manually, as I believe only us two have the ability to handle the HTML tag.  Not a problem and if you would like to start a thread for people to opt in for it (or we can just use this one if members are aware of it), I will change theirs ASAP.  

Couple of things to take into consideration: Firstly you can choose a clock from here but I would advise against the bigger clocks as it will lengthen each page, secondly, I do not want to make the allowed characters to large (set to 300 at the mo, most of which will be used up by the code) so adding other quotes (they usually use a lot of characters) along with the clocks I would also advise against. Adding your normal signature image in conjunction will probably be ok, but I am not going to start trying to style them one by one (meaning where things are positioned - unless explicitly laid out for me).

Lastly, those who do opt in should state their + or - offset from GMT, and I am not promising this is going to work out ling term, as there may be issues with using so much embedded flash in regards to page load time and may affect some people's system resources.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »
I don't have a sig and have ever one else's sig turned off.

But if you need a hand manually change them let me know.

Oh, I forgot that some people have their view turned off.  Thanks for the offer indie but changing them is that same old chestnut of a problem we had with the arcade games hi-scores I believe.

One further thing is that after looking at just how fancy some of the clocks can be on that site, I would probably prefer that the basic digital one that I am using with a choice of colour be used, or another clock similarly as basic.

Offline laama

• Homo Superior
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 05:03:48 PM »
Ok, look at my sig and tell me if it is working ok please?
Sorry for delay.

It works,but it is dim.
i'm waiting for someone to start an antisocial networking site.

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
Oh, I forgot that some people have their view turned off.  Thanks for the offer indie but changing them is that same old chestnut of a problem we had with the arcade games hi-scores I believe.

One further thing is that after looking at just how fancy some of the clocks can be on that site, I would probably prefer that the basic analogue one that I am using with a choice of colour be used, or another clock similarly as basic.

I do, I do, I do!! Can you have an image put in there too? Geesh, Smokes that's alot of work to do, I would let Indie take the reigns since he sadly has an abundance of time on his hands.  :'( Me too for that matter  :'(

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009, 03:23:05 PM »
I do, I do, I do!! Can you have an image put in there too? Geesh, Smokes that's alot of work to do, I would let Indie take the reigns since he sadly has an abundance of time on his hands.  :'( Me too for that matter  :'(

Only those that can use the html tag can add these, which is just dweez and myself.  I meant to say "digital" not "analogue" on the last page and I have done yours now with a -5 hour offset - is that correct? 

Offline ohcheap1

• Q
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I LOVE IT!!! THANKS SMOKES. OK, since mine is done if anyone else is interested you are allowed to request it now.  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
You will have to remember that you cannot now edit your own sig without losing the clock.  No biggy really as all you have to do is ask myself or dweez to re-apply the html tags to the code.