Author Topic: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?  (Read 50109 times)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
Re: Is the Corona virus the elephant in the room?
« Reply #405 on: November 16, 2023, 02:40:58 AM »
I had thought that seeing the back of COVID would mean that life could be fun again.

It most certainly isn't.

WTF happened to the world? I'm doubtful that even Jags and Macs are making it better.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #406 on: November 16, 2023, 03:05:38 AM »
It hasn't ended, but the safety nets erected during covid in the US have been. I'm lucky that my insurance covers the vaccine updates and testing, but a lot of people are essentially shrugging their shoulders and wondering why they are down with a recurring respiratory illness.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and if it wasn't critical, I'd have canceled it.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #407 on: November 16, 2023, 04:28:14 AM »
It hasn't ended, but the safety nets erected during covid in the US have been. I'm lucky that my insurance covers the vaccine updates and testing, but a lot of people are essentially shrugging their shoulders and wondering why they are down with a recurring respiratory illness.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and if it wasn't critical, I'd have canceled it.

I know it's folly to make comparisons with life, but I'd rather be here suffering with COVID than I would just going about my business in eastern Ukraine or any part of Gaza.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2023, 08:00:41 AM »
Yup. But just wait: the same will be true of living in America/ Gilead soon, and doubtless the UK will follow shortly after.
Who can argue with Christ prediction. 8)

I know it's folly to make comparisons with life, but I'd rather be here suffering with COVID than I would just going about my business in eastern Ukraine or any part of Gaza.
Plenty around, but a severe cold is the symptoms for most.

What surprises me, though, is that no-one seems to have actually noticed that Elon Musk is the living embodiment of Hugo Drax. Bond villains used to be so obviously over the top that they couldn't possibly be real, but seriously - what is the world going to do if it turns out that Starlink satellites have lasers targeted on earth? ironically I'm not sure that 007 is a solution in the real world, but wouldn't it be nice.

Actually it is quite thrilling watching the world turn to poo, as it is doing it in ways that I couldn't have imagined only ten years ago.

They who control Social media now influence / control the  hoi polloi.
Scary to see the false posts that can be over checked in a few minutes, whilst the main social media sites cannot be bothered.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2023, 12:35:57 PM »
I stand out like a freak in my N95 mask in most public places since the majority of Americans have decided that Covid is either over or a minor inconvenience.  This, despite the fact that people are still dying from it.

As for our political system.   It's so broken.  I can only hope that Agent Orange is in a matching jumpsuit before the next Presidential election.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2023, 09:50:30 PM »
My post didn't say poo.
Again you are Christ who posts the truth ;D ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #411 on: November 18, 2023, 11:12:30 AM »
The combination of Jags, macs, retirement, and Gosport Borough carrying all before them in the Southern League South go a long way to putting the world to rights.

... especially as I am old enough that I won't live to see the comprehensive mess that politicians are making of this world come fully to fruition. I am glad that I am not American, though, so I am unlikely to live under a full fledged Dictatorship like they likely will soon. To take but one example: Marjorie Taylor Greene makes Suella Braverman look like an amateur: both with single figure IQs, granted, but one is all-in on her stupidity where the other is just taking baby steps.

What surprises me, though, is that no-one seems to have actually noticed that Elon Musk is the living embodiment of Hugo Drax. Bond villains used to be so obviously over the top that they couldn't possibly be real, but seriously - what is the world going to do if it turns out that Starlink satellites have lasers targeted on earth? ironically I'm not sure that 007 is a solution in the real world, but wouldn't it be nice.

Actually it is quite thrilling watching the world turn to poo, as it is doing it in ways that I couldn't have imagined only ten years ago.

This sums up my point really. While COVID was a terrible time for us, you always knew that mankind would find a way through it even if personally you may not. With what's going on in the world now, there no guarantee there will ever be a path to stability.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2023, 08:20:18 PM »

"Advertisers are fleeing social media platform X over concerns about their ads showing up next to pro-Nazi content and hate speech on the site in general, with billionaire owner Elon Musk inflaming tensions with his own posts endorsing an antisemitic conspiracy theory"

Have you by chance the number for next weeks lottery  ;D ;D

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #413 on: November 19, 2023, 02:12:24 AM »
Sadly, this is not actually about antisemitism. It is about payment processing.

There are things that you simply cannot say on the internet and remain in business, unless you run the entire show.

If you cross those lines, banks cut you off.  And without payment processing, you literally cannot run ads, because you cannot be paid.

This doesn't really have anything to do with covid though.

(What the one X'er said is ABSOLUTELY antisemitism, it's the "great replacement" theory.)
Musk lost hundreds of millions of dollars, for the equivalent of a "this" throwaway comment.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #414 on: November 19, 2023, 08:14:58 AM »
Give 'em enough rope...