Author Topic: 'Knowing' is a Secret Christian Flick  (Read 7850 times)

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
  • I've seen the future. I can't afford it.
'Knowing' is a Secret Christian Flick
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
Needless to say, thar be spoilers here!

Basically, the flick is about an old text that predicts numerous calamities to the date, location and number. Catastrophes including, the accident that kills Cage's wife, 9/11 and of course, the End of Everything (i.e. Judgment Day, y'know like the Bible?).

The text is a string of numbers scrawled onto a piece of paper by a little girl in 1959 who is visited by a presence that causes her to hear whispers in her head that compel her to write the number string. The girl was supposed to draw a picture of what the future would be like in 50 years and place it in a time capsule.

Nick Cage's son gets the envelope containing the page when the time capsule is opened 50 years later. Cage is a scientist (astrophysicist) who has lost faith because of the tragic death of his wife and believes 'poo just happens.' - essentially that there is no God. His son however, believes his mother is in heaven. Anyway, Cage begins to notice coincidences in the number strings to actual events. He even visits some of the locations and witnesses the devastation that causes the prescribed body count. There is a particularly graphic sequence of the aftermath of a plane crash with people on fire and exploding and another of a subway car turning people into red mist - so be warned.

Ultimately, it turns out that whomever compelled the little girl to write the numbers in 1959 is now in contact with and communicating to Cage's son. Periodically these entities will show up (looking human until the end of the flick, by the way) and scare the crap out of everybody - one even has light come out of its mouth!. Cage eventually gets in contact with, Diana, the daughter of the little girl who wrote the page in 1959 and she gets drawn into the story along with her daughter (who is roughly the same age as Cage's son). The kids eventually dub these creatures as The Whisper People...

At the end of the entire number string, in the place of the number for a body count would be are the letters 'EE', which essentially translates into End of Everything or Extinction Event. The page predicts the end of the world. Cage is able to use data from a report he'd written to find out that the Extinction Event is that Sol (aka the sun) will have a 'Superflare', which will shoot out from the sun to bathe the earth in fire, destroying the ozone layer and thus all life on the planet.

But it turns out the little girl in 1959 had been interrupted and the remaining numbers in the sequence (which would give latitude and longitude coordinates) was actually scrawled into a door in the basement of the school. Cage finds the location and goes there to discover that it's the landing site for a huge alien mothership, and that the aliens intend to collect The Chosen (Close Encounters, anyone?).

Cage's son and Diana's daughter are of course chosen, but when Cage's son tries to take his dad with them, he's told Cage must stay on Earth. The human looking entities then reveal themselves in alien form and boy are they reminiscent of angels.

So essentially here, Cage as the scientist (the enemy of religion) is shunned by the 'angels' and must be Left Behind, while his son (who believes in Heaven, remember) is one of the Chosen who will be called up into the sky. The aliens take the kids and fly off in their spaceship. Cage is left on Earth to face Judgment Day with the rest of humanity, which does actually occur in the film - yes, everybody dies.

But that's not all - there is an additional scene after the apocalypse that show the spaceship setting the two children (in essence Adam & Eve) onto this plush garden-like planet (Eden) and the two run hand in hand toward the Tree of Life in the background:

So, like I said, it's a secret Christian flick...

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
Re: 'Knowing' is a Secret Christian Flick
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »
It is obviously a Christian flick and if they tried to hide it, they failed...
A thing, i did not understand is why did the aliens choose, from all the humans, a boy, a girl and two freaking rabbits??? What does the rabbits have to do with it ??? ???

I really liked the movie, maybe because it reminded me of one of my favorite episodes of The 13 th dimension where people were being kidnapped by angels before the Apocalypse and there was that one man who stayed on Earth, etc... It is a really well done episode.

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:42:31 PM »
there is no God.

That is my own belief.

It sound's interesting, I'll give it a go.  ;D

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »
I was going to watch it this week. I'll come back after that and read the comments.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »
A thing, i did not understand is why did the aliens choose, from all the humans, a boy, a girl and two freaking rabbits??? What does the rabbits have to do with it ??? ???

Well, if you look, there are multiple ships pulling multiple 'Chosen' so it's more than just the two main character kids. And I forgot to mention the rabbit thing. It could either of two ways, either the white rabbit symbolizes the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland (which essentially the kids will be transported to) or it's the Noah's Ark thing. The other ships could have had other pairs of animals as well, theoretically.

But in essence another Christian mythology reference if that's the case.

I really liked the movie, maybe because it reminded me of one of my favorite episodes of The 13 th dimension where people were being kidnapped by angels before the Apocalypse and there was that one man who stayed on Earth, etc... It is a really well done episode.

This article points out several places that Knowing borrows ideas from, however, it does not mention Close Encounters which I think is pretty blatant.

http://secretsun.blogspot.com/2009/03/knowing-and-aliensolar-revelation.html

Offline CMF

• Homo Superior
  • Intelligence is relative.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:55:26 PM »
The other ships could have had other pairs of animals as well, theoretically.

I have already discussed about this in the fora and I can hardly see two kids bringing an elephant or a whale in the spaceship.  :-\

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »
I have already discussed about this in the fora and I can hardly see two kids bringing an elephant or a whale in the spaceship.  :-\

Maybe they only chose cute and fuzzy animals like rabbits and sheep and kittens...  :D

Look, I'm not trying to justify the story on that point - in fact I thought that whole sequence was pretty dumb overall.

I've taken to calling the flick Blowing, too...  :D

Offline indie180

• V.I.P
  • Homo Superior
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »
Is it like Whitney Schreiber's Communion.  :-\

I liked him as an author up to that point.

Offline Santafer

• Neandertal
  • Here Comes Daddy!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »
huh look at that. I didn't noticed that when I was reading the wiki summary, cause I wasn't paying to see N.C's horrible hair.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 12:09:08 AM »
huh look at that. I didn't noticed that when I was reading the wiki summary, cause I wasn't paying to see N.C's horrible hair.

Hey, man, long time no see. :)

And the movies pretty lame overall in my opinion, so you haven't missed much.

Offline Santafer

• Neandertal
  • Here Comes Daddy!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 02:27:22 AM »
Yeah long time bro. I'm too lazy to press the link on my tab bar.

I expected as much, you can feel when a movie is going to suck.

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 02:47:59 AM »
I can't believe Nicholas Cage is still getting acting parts. They should just cast a cigar store indian and be done with it.

Offline JackFrost

• Super Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
Yeah long time bro. I'm too lazy to press the link on my tab bar.

I expected as much, you can feel when a movie is going to suck.

Well, good to see you again nonetheless... :)

And I also have this radar-like ability to tell when movies are pure shite before I see them...

I can't believe Nicholas Cage is still getting acting parts. They should just cast a cigar store indian and be done with it.

While for the most part I agree with you - I will always adore Nicholas Cage because he was H.I. McDunnough. Even after all the crappy flicks he's made since, he is still one of my favorite actors because he is just so bless'ed good in Raising Arizona...

Offline Skadi

• Homo Superior
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 10:42:17 AM »
I tried to get the enthusiasm to watch it.. I almost did this weekend.. then I blew it off ::) I just went and read the summary instead.

oh.. you know what another weird movie is?.. *runs to try and find title*...

I found it.. It's 'The Rapture'. I only vaguely watched it once.. but what I saw mindmessed me :D  I couldnt figure out which 'side' it was taking. Was it serious?..or mocking? I'm tempted to go watch it sometime to try and sort that, but it's just too creepy.

* ^to clarify.. the mimi rogers one.. not the john wu one.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:53:41 AM by Skadi »

Offline frankcapri

• Human
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 10:24:08 AM »
They will also need them to lay colored eggs for the future Easter egg hunts  ;D

I don't think this movie was a secret Christian movie.  It uses Christian mythology as a plot device, but
I think most Christians would be offended at the notion that angels are aliens  :-\

I didn't read any reviews or see any previews for this movie before I watched it, so
I had no idea what was going on throughout it.  Maybe that's why this movie kept my interest,
and I was baffled at the many negative reviews I read about it afterward  :D
Size, it doesn't matter to me so long as I get it...Gotta go now.