Author Topic: mosquitos suck ....  (Read 11984 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: mosquitos suck ....
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 06:36:15 PM »
Benadryl is good for bug bites.  They sell it in a topical creme or a roll on stick you can carry with you.  I was last in the Caribbean in Sept. and the skeeters were terrible.  That was annoying enough but there was also the threat of Dengue fever, which is no picnic.

Around these parts, I'm concerned more about West Nile virus.  I'll be sure to wear repellent when I go berry picking in another couple weeks.  Yikes.  I can't believe the summer is flying by so fast.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »
My last 2 times in the Caribbean I've kinda won the battle against mozzies.  Maybe because I have less rum in my blood as I did when I visited the island in the early 90s, or maybe I've gone off?

Either way it was the sandflies that caused the biggest problem, especially for my missus.  Her sandfly bites flowered to red blotches that measured about 8" across. They didn't bother her too much, but they looked horrendous.

This thread hasn't seen any action for nearly 5 years.  That reminds me: how's the love life, dweez?

Ouch.
--dweez

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »
Benadryl is good for bug bites.  They sell it in a topical creme or a roll on stick you can carry with you.  I was last in the Caribbean in Sept. and the skeeters were terrible.  That was annoying enough but there was also the threat of Dengue fever, which is no picnic.

Around these parts, I'm concerned more about West Nile virus.  I'll be sure to wear repellent when I go berry picking in another couple weeks.  Yikes.  I can't believe the summer is flying by so fast.

JESUS! That WNV is a monster by all accounts. 

I've bought self-erecting, dome mosquito nets for the beds.  They are under 2kg and are about as big as a deflated football so they are no trouble at all to transport. That should offer us safety at night and during the day I generally catch the biting critters with my trusty chopsticks.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
I've bought self-erecting, dome mosquito nets for the beds.  They are under 2kg and are about as big as a deflated football so they are no trouble at all to transport. That should offer us safety at night and during the day I generally catch the biting critters with my trusty chopsticks.

Money well spent my friend!!!

The mosquito dome nets I mean. The chopsticks I'm not so sure, Miyagi.  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
Money well spent my friend!!!

The mosquito dome nets I mean. The chopsticks I'm not so sure, Miyagi.  :D

Bugger! I think I'll just stay in the pool.

That's right, in the pool people.

Offline mishca09

• Q
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »
I just brought a mosquito bracelet repellant for 99cents. Not sure it will work but figured it's only a dollar. I've been pretty lucky this summer and was able kill the blood suckers before they finished their meal.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 11:01:32 PM »
Don't put it on backwards...it'll attract them then.
--dweez

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:10 PM »
I just brought a mosquito bracelet repellant for 99cents. Not sure it will work but figured it's only a dollar.

I always wondered if they work. Let as know, mishca.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:02 AM »
I always wondered if they work. Let as know, mishca.

Apparently mozzies don't worry about even DEET too much nowadays, and are only put off by the smell for a short time.  The new research is more Romulan in its approach and is trying to make you invisible to mozzies altogether, which is hard to believe if my ever increasing waistline is anything to go by. I mean, satellites are starting to use me as a navigation landmark - but I digress.

The chemicals are homopiperazine and methyl homopiperazine I believe and NG has some more info on them:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/09/130917-mosquitoes-repellent-insects-science-nation-bug-spray/

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 06:50:01 AM »
...satellites are starting to use me as a navigation landmark...

;D

According to an article in the New England Journal of Medicine "Repellent-impregnated wristbands offered no protection".

Apparently there are many topical stuffs that repel insects but the efficacy of most of them is transient. This makes them ineffectual where mosquito-borne infectious diseases are a problem.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 08:19:09 AM »

Apparently there are many topical stuffs that repel insects but the efficacy of most of them is transient. This makes them ineffectual where mosquito-borne infectious diseases are a problem.

I like this idea as sunset triggers a run for cover when I'm in the Caribbean:

How is the repellent applied?

Commercial availability is still far down the road—there needs to be more toxicology tests on the formula, as well as field tests, Bernier cautioned.

But he said that it could be used indoors or outdoors and would probably work best released into the air rather than applied to the skin. For example, the repellent could be emitted from a sealed canister that releases a vapor slowly into the air, creating a sort of protective bubble around your environment.

For instance, if you're sitting outside on a patio, you could install several canisters around the patio, he suggested.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 08:35:17 AM »
I like this idea as sunset triggers a run for cover when I'm in the Caribbean:

Which is the best time to be on a patio and have something to eat and drink in the summertime? Lets say... from 6 to 9 PM? Mosquitoes answer yes to those questions.  :D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »
Which is the best time to be on a patio and have something to eat and drink in the summertime? Lets say... from 6 to 9 PM? Mosquitoes answer yes to those questions.  :D

Yeah, barbecuing at 3pm just ain't the same. For 1. I'm not that hungry and 2. I'm still in the pool.

That's right people: in the pool.

Offline xtopave

• Site Modette
  • Q
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
All right, all right, I confess! I'm jealous!  :D