Author Topic: what will you be doing tonight  (Read 225051 times)

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
Re: what will you be doing tonight
« Reply #690 on: August 04, 2012, 11:18:16 AM »
Drinking and bugging my friend to let me be her flower girl at her civil wedding.  Damn it, she promised.

Also, I have to convince the boyfriend that January of next year is the best time to get married as I have already filed my leave.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #691 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:42 AM »
nice work, plan ahead  ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #692 on: August 07, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »

Also, I have to convince the boyfriend that January of next year is the best time to get married as I have already filed my leave.

I didn't even know you were engaged Sub'. Congratulations.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #693 on: August 07, 2012, 05:56:48 PM »
yes, Congrats Subvinorosa  :)

Offline redlandslide

• Site Moderator
  • Super Hero
  • "We want a shrubbery!"
« Reply #694 on: August 07, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
I thought she was referring to her friend's boyfriend.  :-[

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #695 on: August 07, 2012, 06:27:07 PM »
now that you mention it, i may have read it the wrong way, the second part is throwing me off  :o ;D

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #696 on: August 07, 2012, 06:55:52 PM »
I thought she was referring to her friend's boyfriend.  :-[

I was playing on that.  And covering all bases while I was at it.

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
« Reply #697 on: August 07, 2012, 07:34:45 PM »
Congrats to those who deserve it (I ain't touchin' subvinorosa's post til we figure out the tricky language lol)

I'll be sleeping after I contemplate what I will tell the guy at work about how the parts that I finished machining, that he started, are now within tolerances, even though he told the boss to "golly off" and "I can't machine these parts within tolerances and neither can you." (I'm a machinist, making parts for the military). They are very large aluminum plates and must be VERY flat. He failed to produce any within tolerances, costing the company a lot of money in scrapped material and time. I had to fix his mistakes in processing. Considering the guy is 2.5x my age and been doing this kinda thing for longer than I've been alive, its kinda sad for him. He even told me to "shut the golly up" a couple weeks ago when telling him he should probably do it a certain way...

So yeah, contemplating what I'll say to him. I run the risk of a sucker punch because he's a loose cannon.

Hm. I didn't intend to rant that much about it, but I just HAD to tell someone! lol

Edit: I laughed at all of the instances of the word golly above! Didn't see that one coming

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #698 on: August 08, 2012, 12:42:50 AM »
well if he cannot produce to spec then he should "let go of"
I inspect aerospace vanes and such like , commercial and military, If he cannot work with in a certain tolerance then your bosses must be mad to keep him.
Considering some of our machines are over 20 years old and need constant attention, we can attain a finish in some cases to +/- 0.002" for military parts then your "associate" must be pretty crap at his job.

Offline dandrummerman

• Homo Erectus
  • Black Sheep
« Reply #699 on: August 08, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »
Well, it was 7075-T651 aluminum plate that finishes at 28"x18"x1.000+-.01. We could apparently only source 1.28" thick material. The top face requires a 32 micro finish. It also has an o-ring groove in it, .532wide .437deep. This face is required to be flat within .005" and the groove must be parallel to the face within .003"

The guy processed the job backwards. The first thing he did was the top face, including the groove, leaving a whopping .25" on the backside to face off afterward. Needless to say, a plate that large and thin moves all over the place when taking so much off.

He has anger management issues and nobody in the shop can talk to him about what he's doing without him getting defensive. Its very common for everyone in the shop to put their input on more difficult jobs, so that problems like what he faced don't happen. But with him, we can't do that.

I'm 23 years old, been machining since I was still in high school, and know what I'm doing most the time. I don't claim to know everything, but I do know a lot about the trade. This guy treats me like I've never touched a machine in my life (he's 54). He does NOT like that I am above him in the food chain, even though I've been doing it 1/5th - 1/6th the amount of time he has  ::)

He's gonna end up quitting. He was taken off that job, And I finished 3 of his parts that he nearly scrapped out (I was able to save them). I still have 6 more to do now.

He got switched to the lathe department, so now he is a different supervisor's problem. I don't expect him to last another week.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #700 on: August 09, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »
always good when they become someone else problem. ;)
surprised thats the only size ally plate you can get.
we only use ally for fixtures.Have a massive jig borer for machining those things.
mainly buy in raw castings and machine to finish. made of  Nimonic.
Apparently because we run very old machines, we are the only people in the world who produce vanes for the following
http://www.turbomeca.com/english/our-products/helicopter-engines/rtm-322-50/
http://www.rolls-royce.com/defence/products/combat_jets/pegasus.jsp

at about 3" in size and multi coated they are a swine to produce  :P

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #701 on: August 09, 2012, 05:03:58 AM »

Edit: I laughed at all of the instances of the word golly above! Didn't see that one coming

Word censoring is not compulsory here and is completely optional.  The switch is in your profile settings under "look and layout" I think.  I'll mention this in another section for the benefit of new members.

We do have a set of rules somewhere; covered by dust no doubt.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #702 on: August 11, 2012, 03:15:06 AM »
Trying to catch up on some sleep.  I am really feeling my new age now...

Offline subvinorosa

• Human
« Reply #703 on: August 11, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
LOL, my friend's boyfriend, not mine.  I'm single now AND staying that way.

In case some of you guys missed it, hmed and I are in what seems to be a very loooooong engagement.  OC1's thread should still have it, I think. ;) 

I will be checking out cost effective  ways to celebrate my birthday and figuring out how I can combine family, old friends and work friends in one celebration.  So far, I'm failing at it.  I just can't figure it out.

Offline townie2

• Neandertal
« Reply #704 on: August 11, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »
if it's for a lot of people, you can usually rent a local community hall/center pretty cheap.