Author Topic: Last Person to Speak Wins! 最后发言者获胜  (Read 335862 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Last Person to Speak Wins! 最后发言者获胜
« Reply #630 on: October 28, 2023, 02:02:32 AM »
I was watching the rugby this evening and during one of the long "clock off" periods they played the Spice girls - Wannabe in the stadium. It sounded absolutely dreadful without a morsel of vocal talent being heard.

It's no secret that you just over produce a song with poor singers to disguise it, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time - especially when it's played on a massive sound system.

That could be said for lots of music today
Spoiler (hover to show)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #631 on: November 04, 2023, 08:10:32 PM »
Morality check time:

I was walking the dog, and we go behind goodwill because his favorite tree is located back there. A homeless person was going through bags that people had left.

He loudly told me to golly OFF, so off I bent.

About 50 feet down the sidewalk, I notice some rolled up cash, so I picked it up.

Now, I could have asked the man if he had dropped money, but knew that the answer would have been "yes" regardless of what I had picked up.

So I kept my mouth shut, and bent off.

Is this morally okay? It's a $20.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #632 on: November 04, 2023, 09:10:46 PM »
I found £40 walking to work through a very dodgy area, looked around to see if anyone there but no one could be seen, I kept it.
A few weeks earlier I found £5 which fell out a persons pocket and called him back, many thanks and felt good.
for the amount  found dont feel too bad, but the moral of the story could be
Be kind if you can ??

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2023, 09:30:41 PM »
I think what made me feel bad about this is that I did help a dude who was living in his car across the street, but he kept pushing for more and eventually had to say goodbye to him.

Like I let him use the bathroom occasionally, charge his phone, but eventually he was knocking on my door every day to heat up ramen.

I know they're facing a hard life, but I've ran into shitheads behind the goodwill before.

Thanks for the reality check, I was feeling a little bad, but now I'm not.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #634 on: November 05, 2023, 11:17:21 AM »
The guy asked you to golly off, so he basically closed off any future communication between you.   You were completely ok in not communicating with him after that.  Had you seen him drop the money, then you should have given it to him.  Otherwise, finders keepers.

I generally don't give beggars money, but prefer to give to organized charities.  Like homeless shelters that give meals, offer clothing, toiletries and provide bathing and laundry facilities.  I know some might disagree with this, but I have no way of knowing what any random person's background is or what they might do with the money.  At least I know where my funds go in the prior situation.

I found $50 one night, next to a curb, with no cars in sight.  It seemed as if someone had dropped it out of their pocket getting into or out of a car, but how to figure out who that was, or when, was basically impossible.  Two 20's and a 10.  I just put it in the little "Found money" tin that we have.  We put mostly coins that we find on the ground there.  I figured that if I handed it over to the cops, that would have opened another can of worms and eaten a bunch of time with little likelihood the owner would be located, or that I'd get it back if they weren't.   What more can you do?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #635 on: November 05, 2023, 11:47:15 AM »
You know what, it was the same spot I found that phone one time.
I actually did turn that phone into the cops because the guy didn't reply to email, but kept hitting the "find my phone" button.
I didn't want a porch front confrontation, so I just gave it to a deputy who was on community patrol.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #636 on: November 05, 2023, 07:57:22 PM »
Phones are a different matter in that they generally have some programming that will allow you to find the owner.  I've never understood why the bonehead who took my phone wouldn't give it back once it became clear that it was a brick, and after I'd basically blanketed his area with reward posters.

There are some aspects of human nature that just can't be explained, I guess.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #637 on: November 06, 2023, 08:42:05 PM »
I'm guessing a scumbagano who sold it on facebook marketplace with a throwaway account.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #638 on: November 07, 2023, 07:08:02 AM »
Phones are a different matter in that they generally have some programming that will allow you to find the owner.  I've never understood why the bonehead who took my phone wouldn't give it back once it became clear that it was a brick, and after I'd basically blanketed his area with reward posters.

There are some aspects of human nature that just can't be explained, I guess.

poss strip it down but evne then why

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #639 on: November 07, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
I suspect it's some hapless twit.  They tried to get it to come on a couple months ago, but no p/w, no workie.

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #640 on: December 23, 2023, 10:26:09 AM »
Any time soon I'm going to start my Christmas shopping. Possibly tomorrow.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #641 on: December 23, 2023, 01:59:20 PM »
You don't want to rush into things. The New Year's sale is now on at Curry's.

In the states, all the Xmas items are marked down already.  I remember a time when you had to wait until 12/26.  But I guess time is more compressed and passing at a greater rate than it used to.  You'd think they'd have to adjust the clocks to keep up?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #642 on: December 23, 2023, 08:37:55 PM »
I remember at target they stopped restocking Christmas lights around the 20th. People were getting severely nasty.
Thankfully they stuck me in stationary. There was a weird contract where the card companies tended to work the stationary most of the year and we weren't even supposed to touch anything on those aisles.

Christmas though? Big bins in the back, and a dedicated employee to restock and face them. People go batshit insane the last week of december.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #643 on: December 23, 2023, 11:19:31 PM »
Any time soon I'm going to start my Christmas shopping. Possibly tomorrow.

Being as its XMAS eve, go today after a couple of pints.
Be finished in a jiffy with the weirdest pressies going.

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #644 on: December 24, 2023, 04:04:06 AM »
Being as its XMAS eve, go today after a couple of pints.
Be finished in a jiffy with the weirdest pressies going.

TNG is home so I've definitely seen too much of the inside of pubs over the last few days. To mix it up we're going for an Indian meal in Twickenham this evening.

Looks like my family are all getting a pilau rice for Christmas (1 each of course). Talk about leaving it late, eh.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.