Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 416591 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2955 on: January 23, 2021, 11:36:32 PM »
Release or chronologically? I've never actually watched the Norton Hulk. I think it got referenced in Avengers, Stark says he bought the bottom general's favorite bar and tore it down just for spite fun.

chronologically, Norton Hulk, Watched but wouldnt matter if you didnt but William hurt does appear later on as
Thunderbolt ross (secretary of state) and a few cameos of the original TV Hulk.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2956 on: January 25, 2021, 11:36:29 PM »
Not for all but as always well acted
Frances McDormand, with David Strathairn.

8 ish people in a garage having a shoot out, pure fun the interplay
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 12:00:27 AM by goldshirt*9 »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2957 on: January 29, 2021, 11:58:26 PM »
  Synchronic
I really didnt know what to think about this film until nearly at the end. Gripping, enjoyable .
Spoiler (hover to show)
. Well acted by both actors.

Documentary really. Interesting to see how different CIA agents viewed the war with outcomes.
A major what if, 10 yrs prior to 9/11 they had got Osama when in his holiday retreat but denied troops, what could have been.

Offline Beatrix

• Cro-Magnon
« Reply #2958 on: February 01, 2021, 08:29:50 PM »
I've started watching the nee episodes of f is for family.  Apparently I've taken on the shameless cartoons because I also dig big mouth and this new season of disenchantment single handedly makes me happy sometimes.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2959 on: February 27, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »
Archive.  On amazon prime.  A real snorefest.  Life's too short.  It's one of those movies that has an interior set that looks like it's been around since the 1970's and has been used for multiple grade B sci fi films.  The exterior is 1) snowy forest and 2) some futurist's idea of Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater but done with black and white CGI.  The actors are not particularly gifted and the music heavy handed.  I think I once posted a "I want my money back" film festival thread.  This belongs there.  That's a couple hours of my life I won't get back.
Link for description if you are feeling masochistic.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JJKVNF1?pf_rd_r=G9931YAPP6PAS1KS83E1&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8&pd_rd_r=42eed86c-cbf4-4909-ab8c-168abd971725&pd_rd_w=qRpdl&pd_rd_wg=38Vi2&ref_=pd_gw_unk

Wanna engage with the idea of communicating with the dead?  Read Philip K D ick's Ubik instead.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2960 on: February 28, 2021, 12:33:18 AM »
Kinda like the movies that didn't need to exist thing?

My mom wants to watch that Nomadland, but I get the feeling it's a downer golly of a movie. Sentiment goldshirt?

I don't get why she's drawn to those, they wreck her.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2961 on: February 28, 2021, 05:24:54 AM »
That sounds like a real downer of a film.  Frances MacDormand is a gifted actress, and apparently, according to a friend, you get to see her go to the toilet in a bucket.  If that's your thing, maybe it will redeem itself.

Archive was one of those films that you stumble on late at night, mistakenly thinking it's a tv series, only 59 minutes into it, realizing that it's a movie.  My internet went down half way through, when it came back the next day, I found myself fast forwarding through parts of it because the plot development was glacial. 

The main character, a robotics scientist was a real piece of work.  He was a right sexist pig dog who kept telling the robots that they needed to calm down and stuff like that.  He had a crew of variants -- different models that would help him revive his dead wife. They referred to one another as sisters.  This should have been set in Utah instead of Japan.  The first ones were about as accomplished as the Robot on Pee Wee's Playhouse.  Then, inexplicably, he comes up with another one that looks like it came out of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.  That made zero sense.  The first two were jealous and hurt at the attention he paid to the one that was more human looking.   

I kept hoping the robots would gang up on him and put us out of his misery, but I was not rewarded.  The surprise ending was stupid and not particularly satisfying.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2962 on: February 28, 2021, 07:16:24 AM »
Van living IS the new homeless, it's just you've got enough you aren't in a tent on a street corner.

I've read the "New Normal" in my area is $3,459 a month in rent. If I had to face that I'd be on the street.

And the thing is, there isn't really a solution. The more computers decide on "efficiency" standards, the more humans will be bent out of any possible job.

Harvey Danger said that the song flagpole sitta is like a light monkey paw on the chest.

Nomadland is NOT a light monkey paw. It's a bless'ed monkey fist right to the solar plexus. I don't like the future we find ourselves in.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2963 on: February 28, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »
California rents are out of control and housing prices are ridiculous.  You might as well be living in central London.  So, many people are moving out of state to less expensive markets like Idaho and other similar places.  They are driving the real estate costs up there, rendering themselves unwelcome.

About a decade ago, we managed to get together with the other tenants in our building and buy the place together.  The value of our apartments has doubled in that time.  There's no way in hell we could buy our place if it were on the market today.  And we live in a modest 1 bedroom place.  Rents in this area are now more than double what we paid initially as tenants.  And there are no jobs to pay enough to support such costs.  It's not surprising that people are opting to live in their cars. 

Something in this country is really out of whack and I don't see the people the most affected doing anything but supporting the very party that is dedicated to making it worse.  I shake my head in wonder at Trump's supporters.  It's comical to think that this man, utterly devoid of any compassion or human sympathy, would have their backs or advance their interests in any way.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 09:40:30 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2964 on: February 28, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
California rents are out of control and housing prices are ridiculous.  You might as well be living in central London.  So, many people are moving out of state to less expensive markets like Idaho and other similar places.  They are driving the real estate costs up there, rendering themselves unwelcome.

About a decade ago, we managed to get together with the other tenants in our building and buy the place together.  The value of our apartments has doubled in that time.  There's no way in hell we could buy our place if it were on the market today.  And we live in a modest 1 bedroom place.  Rents in this area are now more than double what we paid initially as tenants.  And there are no jobs to pay enough to support such costs.  It's not surprising that people are opting to live in their cars. 

Something in this country is really out of whack and I don't see the people the most affected doing anything but supporting the very party that is dedicated to making it worse.  I shake my head in wonder at Trump's supporters.  It's comical to think that this man, utterly devoid of any compassion or human sympathy, would have their backs or advance their interests in any way.

I was trying to explain to TNG abnout how interest rates in the U.K got up to 18.5% at one point. He couldn't get his head round it as he's quite good at maths and it just didn't add up. As an idea of how it was year on year I found this:

https://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/analysis/historical-interest-rates-uk/

It really beggars belief how house prices have inflated judging by the trends over the last 200 years. But there you have it.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2965 on: March 01, 2021, 05:53:20 AM »
I was paying a mortgage in those days, and to add insult to injury I moved to the US for work. I couldn't afford to sell the house, as I would likely never have got back on the housing ladder. As it happened I got home five years later and the house was worth half what it had been. The market collapsed in the early 90s! The situation was precipitated by something called MIRAS* (or at least its reduction and then removal).

*Mortgage Interest Relief At Source: You used to get tax relief on the interest part of your mortgage, back in the day.

While it's been reduced to interest on houses that sold for less than $1million, there remains a tax deduction for mortgage interest for US homeowners.  I think the exorbitant interest rates were characteristic of the go-go 1980's.  I wasn't really paying that much attention, but certainly double digit rates were common.  The positive flip side of this was that you actually got paid a reasonable interest rate for savings accounts in banks.  The real estate market can be fickle and there have been periods of irrational exuberance as in the middle of the first decade of this century.  Some markets retained their value, while others simply slumped as people tried to sell and housing prices plumeted.  There was a great deal of speculative buying leading up to the 2008 crash.

It's sad that the housing market is not regulated.  It's a basic necessity and, at least in the US, there's an entire profession dedicated to driving up housing prices as much as possible:  realtors live for the commission they make on housing sales.  The higher the price, the larger their commissions.  This is counter to the common good, but so far, nobody has done anything about it.  So we have people living in vans and under bridges.  There's entire streets in the Bay Area lined with people living in their RVs.  They don't have access to sanitary facilities and often there's litter that collects and neighbors have to put up with it.  It's an ugly mess and there's been little done about it, besides bandaids like publicly funded motel rooms as temporary shelters.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2966 on: March 01, 2021, 06:01:49 AM »
I forgot to mention that the gov't stepped in with this, the Home Affordable Refinance Program (HARP) to help homeowners who were underwater with their mortgages (they bought a house for x dollars that is now worth x/2 or less dollars.)  A number of banks were taken to task for predatory and racist lending procedures during this entire debacle.  And several mortgage companies went under, with officials being charged with actual crimes for their unethical and illegal loan origination practices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Affordable_Refinance_Program

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2967 on: March 12, 2021, 10:52:56 PM »
The Little Things - not the best I have ever watched, a little scatty IMHO

Offline PsPBuRnOuT

• Cro-Magnon
  • For My Joanne Always & Forever In Our Hearts xx
« Reply #2968 on: March 13, 2021, 04:12:01 AM »
Coming To America 2, not a patch on the first.
Spoiler (hover to show)

For Mum R.I.P.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2969 on: March 27, 2021, 11:22:11 PM »
took the plunge and watched Zack Snyder Justice League cut.
For 4 + hours length it moved on pretty quickly.
Some parts could have been left out but enjoyed.