Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 422383 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #3150 on: November 16, 2022, 07:43:19 AM »
It's hard for me to watch Tom Cruise, despite the fact that he's been in several good movies:  Risky Business, The Firm, Minority Report, Interview with the vampire, etc.  He's also been in some crap films, but his antics with scientology, jumping on the couch on Oprah, etc. kind of put me off.

Do like Collateral with TC in.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3151 on: November 19, 2022, 08:58:05 AM »

All Quiet on the western front.  That was brutal

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3152 on: November 20, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »
Dr. Zhivago, weighing in at over 3 hours.  Still, not enough rats for my taste, and several interesting characters cut out.  Julie Christie as Lara was far too passive and not as accomplished, or driven as the character in the book.  Also, lots of hairspray that they could have done without.  Tonya's outfit as she arrived back from Paris seemed especially out of place in the early 2nd decade of the 20th c.  Big pink fur hat and outfit.  Did people wear that much pink in 1910?  Seems more appropriate to 1965.  Also, Dr. Z was supposed to not be drop dead beautiful, a feat thwarted by the casting of Omar Sharif, and Antipov was supposed to be super handsome, but they managed to cast some nerdy less good looking guy for his part, and oversimplified him as well as his relationship with Lara.  Bonus:  Alec Guiness as Z's helpful half brother. 

But it was a nice film.  Not nearly as complex or nuanced as the book, but there you have it.  And lots of balalaikas.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3153 on: November 20, 2022, 08:53:16 PM »
Oddly enough, we both just watched The Godfather for the first time a couple months ago.  I guess it set standards for the deluge of gangster films that followed.  We also rewatched Goodfellas after that, and I enjoyed it a great deal more, except it's hard to top Marlon Brando chasing his young grandchild through a garden and dropping dead in the process.  There's something oddly poignant and, at the same time, unjust about that, given how many opponents he unceremoniously offed during the film.  That was a good death, and probably better than he deserved.

I haven't seen Godfather II.  Didn't realize de Niro was even in it.  He sort of draws attention for the first time in Taxi Driver if memory serves.  I think he runs naked down the streets of a Pennsylvania town in The Deer Hunter.  A friend of mine used to be obsessed with him.  He took me to lunch at his SoHo restaurant one day in the early 1990's.  When he finally met up with De Niro, the actor was extremely kind and sympathetic to him, so he seems like an overall good guy.  His father was an artist of some repute, also.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3154 on: November 21, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
My Uncle resembles Clemenza, but everyone always tells him he looks like Tony Soprano.
Needless to say, invites to take a ride hit a little different.

I've only seen the godfather films in parts on TV, it's interesting how many movies I've only seen parts of.
I got the first one on DVD at Salvation Army, maybe I should give it a view.

I don't remember liking them, thinking they were sleepy films. Not movies that make you fall asleep, just long hazy narratives.

What's funny is that I hate modern movies for the opposite. Big action set piece! short talking scene to establish next set piece, BIG ACTION SET PIECE TWO, characters coping with the losses in set piece two, BIG CLIMAX THAT WIPES A LANDMARK OFF THE MAP.

Leave the Golden Gate bridge alone, SONY! I swear they did some expensive simulation and then shoved it in every movie one year.
Apes, X-men, Mother Nature, no one respects the Golden Gate!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3155 on: December 28, 2022, 12:06:47 AM »
Glass Onion    Not too different from the first film, was OK

Triangle of sadness   Had to watch to the end as thought I thought it would give a answer to what the film was about, Being a "Sundance" film I have still not idea what it was about ???

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3156 on: December 30, 2022, 12:14:43 AM »
I wouldn't have watched "Triangle of Sadness" based solely on the poster.

I did watch "Amazing Maurice", though. And "The Great Escape".

Funniest part of the film, in a carry on way  :-\ :-\

The Best

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3157 on: December 30, 2022, 04:25:05 AM »

.... I did watch "Amazing Maurice"

I struggled to enjoy that and I'm not sure Pratchett would have approved. I found everything quite wooden.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3158 on: December 31, 2022, 06:25:51 AM »
I'm absolutely sure that he would have hated it: I didn't enjoy it. But Pratchett was designed for the printed page, not for the screen. I thought the the "framing device" would be a clever way of dealing with footnotes. But it wasn't. (I hated "Good Omens" too)

I suspect this too.

I also struggled with Good Omens but I'm actually talking about the book as I bailed in the TV adaptation. I did finish the book but I found the co-authoring weird as there seemed to be a bit of a pushmepullyou going on between the 2 styles of writing. Did you feel that?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3159 on: December 31, 2022, 11:48:12 PM »
The problem with adapting Pratchett is that they all want to show how clever they are.
And they aren't.

It's like the washerwoman who left the picture of Christ looking like an ape, because she can fix it! (No she could not)

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
« Reply #3160 on: January 03, 2023, 04:04:37 AM »
Yup. It was blindingly obvious when "not-Pratchett" was plotting, and to add insult to injury I'm not really a Gaiman fan (he is too dark for my preference*), so his bits were like nails on a blackboard.

*Except Stardust, which is OK.

It really was a strange collaboration: a juxtaposition, if you will.

In general the problem with the TV/ Movie industry is that they all want to show how clever they are. Which is bad enough when they are, but becomes a real issue when they aren't (... and most of them aren't).

I stick to staring out the window for entertainment. Mind you, I think curtain-twitching is due to my age.

I watched the last Bond movie. I quite liked the easter eggs, but otherwise I thought it was by far the worst Craig Bond.

I am not sure that I approve of baddies driving Jaguars!

Makes a pleasant change from Triumph Triples.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3161 on: January 06, 2023, 11:46:59 PM »
Jag ran a whole campaign about how being a baddie is better.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3162 on: January 07, 2023, 09:10:12 AM »
You have four posts!

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3163 on: January 08, 2023, 08:11:16 PM »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3164 on: January 20, 2023, 09:22:34 PM »
Not a lot of films atm.
Documentary's plenty
Watching  (when on available on PBS due to erratic PBS broadcasting schedules)
AMERICAN INSURRECTION (2022) series
Caught the episode about Michael Flynn.
That was shocking to watch, USA has a serious problem with the Religion and politics. The in depth investigation of Trump and Biden election voting fraud and the storming of capitol hill  :o :o.
I know Uk have some rather large issues but  8)