Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 416628 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2880 on: April 30, 2020, 09:41:09 AM »

past an hour away, great effects, brutal scenes. Glad i watched

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2881 on: April 30, 2020, 04:21:34 PM »
Stupid Facebook/Slack/blah has ruined me. I keep looking for a "thumbs up" icon to click.
--dweez

Online smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2882 on: May 01, 2020, 03:06:41 PM »
Have a word with the management.

There hasn't been much call for the thumbs-up icon for many a year. I believe it's knee deep in cobwebs and why dweez might not be able to see it straight off.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2883 on: May 01, 2020, 05:35:01 PM »
Oh, trust me. I don't need it. That's why I was moaning about social media and not asking for it here. I like our set up. See a post that sparks something and you respond. The interaction, especially in the current atmosphere, is greatly welcomed.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2884 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:49 AM »
What we do in the shadows-

It's funny a comedy movie would bring back what scares me about werewolves. I even appreciate the original encounter with the werewolves being played for comedy - "We're werewolves, not swearwolves" but when they are encountered again, they're a chaotic bloody mess.

I recently had my attention brought to the FX series, because they took a comedy series down a more horror infused episode, and I figured I should brush up on the original before watching the series.

And yeah, it's got that Taika Waititi comedy vibe, but it brought back the werewolves of my nightmares as well.

It's certainly got my recommend.

Part of watching the horror movies of my youth is cathartic. As an adult, sometimes I understand things that are black comedy, or that it's just a guy in a mask.

Even pre-transformation, the what we do in the shadows werewolves are playing for comedy, one chastises another for using a combination lock, next he explains wearing jeans was a really bad idea, and a tracksuit is more of an ideal.

But yeah, they brought the fear of werewolves back for me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:47:37 AM by 8ullfrog »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2885 on: May 18, 2020, 09:42:21 AM »
There hasn't been much call for the thumbs-up icon for many a year. I believe it's knee deep in cobwebs and why dweez might not be able to see it straight off.

I kind of prefer that we not have it.  It's sort of annoying on FB.  Here, we use actual words.  That's nicer.

Werewolves are a kind of human canine hybrid.  There are plenty of such human animal hybrids in classical mythology.  And there's always the jackal headed Anubis.  I wonder that the Egyptians just kind of glued the doggy type head on the human body instead of the messier "cover him with hair and give him sharp teeth during the full moon" temporary shifts.

Anyway, I guess I never really got the whole werewolf thing.  Sure, they bite and maul, like various pit bulls on a bad day.  What would really satisfy me in a werewolf movie would be victims, or their surviving family members, bringing complaints on Judge Judy for damages.  Like, "you knew you were a werewolf, but didn't use adequate precautions, and _(fill in offending behavior here)____________ (humped my leg, mauled my toddler, etc.) so pay me."  That would be entertaining.  What would Judge Judy do if one of the defendants suddenly got hairy and out of hand?  Get Bert to eject them?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2886 on: May 18, 2020, 10:55:18 AM »
Yeah, no, nothing cerebral. One of my earliest nightmares is being ripped to offal under those old sodium bulbs they used to use in parking lots. I don't know why I have such a graphic image as a recurring nightmare.

My very earliest nightmare is falling off the top of my dad's boat. Werewolf is #2.

I imagine any actual defendant would be able to prove that they devolve into a bestial nature on the full moon, and then you get into poo like in Buffy, where "OK, you're a werewolf, how do you lock yourself up to protect the public?"

poo, Buffy put out a Werewolf hunter as a shitty serial killer, rather than a noble defender against monsters. The hunter kept a necklace of werewolf teeth, and rather than being impressed, the cast of the show were repulsed by the bottom.

Buffy ran him out of town at the end of the episode.

But yeah, werewolves, I don't think I'll ever be able to unwrap that psychological thing the way I did watching Freddy Kreuger and just deciding he was a joker.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2887 on: May 19, 2020, 12:17:51 AM »
Watched  "Made in Dagenham" Sunday, not a lot around

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2888 on: June 02, 2020, 10:05:26 AM »
I suspect that Daniel Jackson's grasp of mathematics as it relates to astronomical projections is about as sophisticated as his grasp of ancient cultures.  Let's just enjoy the fact that he's fiction.  If he were a real actor in futuristic space travel we'd all be in trouble.  I haven't seen that movie.  Maybe I should.  I've been watching some real trash at night.  The Mentalist is pretty lame.

I haven't watched a movie in a long time, most likely because they tend to be too long.  We often watch half of one at a time, not an ideal situation, but my husband takes medication that makes him tired early, so I end up watching tv alone in the late evenings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 10:07:54 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2889 on: June 02, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
It's ok, but formulaic:  pretty bad boy with attractive woman cop supervisor = sexual tension.  Bay boy repeatedly solves crimes despite the pathetic efforts of his fumbling coworkers who resent and admire him.

His debunking of psychics and other charlatans in favor of perceptive observation and inductive reasoning are admirable and refreshing.  I just tire of police programs where all the cops are supermodels and you can pick out criminals because they're ugly or have some screamingly obvious character flaw.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2890 on: June 03, 2020, 07:52:11 AM »
I remember Sabin saying that Red John was obviously Jane, that would have been more interesting.

6, he's talking about the same character, and at the same time, very different Daniel Jackson. Shanks went into it with a Spader impression but eventually dropped it.

As to the gate symbols, I just always thought of them like phone numbers. The alterans set the dialing computer up under whatever weird conventions their phone companies used.

About as valid as Carter's "P3X-234" system. Oh wait, Carter doesn't exist in the movie. :P

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2891 on: June 03, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
I always saw the gate symbols more of like a cipher code, something that without the key, was meaningless.
--dweez

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2892 on: June 03, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
Emmerich kind of... likes doing that?

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2893 on: June 04, 2020, 08:59:12 PM »
They actually explained that in a scene that was removed for being "too slow". The Tech boom was all because of reverse engineering. Apparently the aliens, who move like a virus, never bothered with an antivirus.

On the TV series, Daniel Jackson gets pretty heated about it, he bitches out the US senator who has the power to cut the Stargate Program's budget.

That actual model was heavily advertised around the time of the film with a snarky narrator. I'm glad that type of ad was left in the 90's.

Anyway, that model laptop was also a complete POS, and I believe it was recalled.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2894 on: June 04, 2020, 09:47:28 PM »
I have a PowerBook 92 that is still working.  I think it's from 1998.  If memory serves, it has a 250 MB HD.  Wow.  It takes 3.5 inch floppy discs.