Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 416870 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #2925 on: September 11, 2020, 11:12:10 AM »
Yeah.  The first Dune movie was pretty lame.  The new one does not have much of a bar to clear to be better.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #2926 on: September 11, 2020, 03:42:39 PM »
Yeah.  The first Dune movie was pretty lame.  The new one does not have much of a bar to clear to be better.

I don't believe I was clever enough to understand what the golly was going on in the original. Perhaps I'm a little better equipped now and, with luck, the new version might take into account dopes like me.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2927 on: September 11, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
I really enjoyed the book, so thought the movie would be good.  It wasn't.  Maybe it was a case of David Lynch trying desperately to put some kind of individual stamp on things.  I enjoyed a couple of Lynch's earlier films (Eraserhead and Blue Velvet) but lately his films have just bored me.  How many times can one film flies on vomit and expect people to find it interesting?  Just because it's a naturally occurring phenomenon and many would find it repulsive doesn't suggest that focusing on it will equal cinematic excellence or novelty.  But maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2928 on: September 11, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »
Nah, they nailed Lynch to the wall on that one. Studio interference out the ass. What's worse, the Fremen were attired in USED body bags. That was a bit of a richard move from Lynch.

Lynch strikes me as the kind of person who is very unhappy to be here, wherever he is.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2929 on: September 11, 2020, 11:16:29 PM »
there was lots of behind the scenes difficulties on that one

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2930 on: September 12, 2020, 06:42:23 AM »
I liked the book. I liked several more of the books, too: I thought the second and third books were better than the first, to be honest.

I think that the book series (or at least the original series, before the family turned it into a soap opera) would lend itself to a long-term six/ seven/ eight season show to take us from the beginning and then quite a long way into the saga. It doesn't really have enough pizzazz to be like the MCU movies, but has plenty enough interest to be a Babylon 9/ BSG style long form event.

I think the movie is doomed, regardless of quality, because in this age of internet annihilation it will get destroyed by whichever set of "fans" it disappoints, and there are too many disparate group to satisfy all of them.

I made the mistake of reading Dune Messiah before I read Dune.  In retrospect, that was not the best way to be introduced to the series.  I didn't think much of DM, but maybe after reading Dune, it would make more sense.  As a standalone effort, though, I can't say I was impressed with DM.  It was only through the recommendations of friends that I read the first book.  It's been years since I read DM, so maybe it's time to revisit it.  After I finish the Decameron, which I'm a bit over halfway through--good plague time reading.

I had no idea what the backstory of the Lynch movie was.  My brother suggested it, so I watched it without any idea of who was responsible for it.  I was intrigued by the presence of young Kyle MacLachlan, who went on to work with Lynch in several other films, but I hadn't realized they had such an early connection.

It will be interesting to see what another director does with the same material.  The improvement in CGI and related special effects that have occurred in the interim should also add to the production.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 06:44:30 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2931 on: September 13, 2020, 05:04:00 AM »
I liked the book. I liked several more of the books, too: I thought the second and third books were better than the first, to be honest.

I think that the book series (or at least the original series, before the family turned it into a soap opera) would lend itself to a long-term six/ seven/ eight season show to take us from the beginning and then quite a long way into the saga. It doesn't really have enough pizzazz to be like the MCU movies, but has plenty enough interest to be a Babylon 9/ BSG style long form event.

I think the movie is doomed, regardless of quality, because in this age of internet annihilation it will get destroyed by whichever set of "fans" it disappoints, and there are too many disparate group to satisfy all of them.
maybe the second will cheer them up

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2932 on: September 14, 2020, 01:09:02 AM »
I watched Buckaroo Banzai. I've read you either love it or hate it. I hated it. It has an embarrassment of stars in it, and it's almost entirely wasted.

Much of it is strange for the sake of being strange, and you're never really "in" on the joke.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2933 on: September 14, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »
The rebels weren't that great to begin with either.

At least he was willing to put the work in, unlike whatever the golly the latest Star Wars Trilogy was.

I liked that Dune was willing to make unlikable characters, but it could make the material feel dense. Damn shame, my dad loved it.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2934 on: December 07, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »
LOVE, WEDDINGS & OTHER DISASTERS
poor very poor.
I also watched the entire Die Hard movies over the weekend   :) :)

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #2935 on: December 07, 2020, 10:57:09 AM »

Hehe, I re-watched "Live Free or Die Hard" over the weekend as well.
--dweez

Offline PsPBuRnOuT

• Cro-Magnon
  • For My Joanne Always & Forever In Our Hearts xx
« Reply #2936 on: December 11, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »
christ on 05 September 2020, 20:52:21
Stardust.

Great, but not as good as Princess Bride.

Totally love both of them movies :D

For Mum R.I.P.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2937 on: December 11, 2020, 03:01:22 PM »
LOVE, WEDDINGS & OTHER DISASTERS
poor very poor.

That trailer made me want to put on running shoes and get out of Dodge as fast as my legs would carry me.  It screams "Chick Flick."  I suspect Jeremy Irons and Diane Keaton maybe need to buck up their savings or something, as this looks like a regular dog's breakfast of a film.  I guess it beats taking out a reverse mortgage.

Thank god for films like "Die Hard" as a corrective.  Funny enough, I just stumbled on a news story citing plans by Charlize Theron to remake Die Hard with lesbian protagonists.  Sounds like an ideal hybrid between the two genres.  https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-charlize-theron-lesbian-die-hard-remake-20201209-4pyyfhrdtrg4lb6j7pr7q6mwsi-story.html
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:05:18 PM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #2938 on: December 11, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
Not sure why they'd need to be Lesbians. Holly could easily be Hal. Granted, John could also be Joan. Some of the physical stunts and fights would be hard to cross over, but if anyone could pull them off, it would be her.

Not sure I want a reboot on Die Hard though. They did the first three movies right the first time. Also not sure why they feel like it needs to be a continuing series. One thing I found fascinating about "The Trilogy" was that the scripts were all standalone. They weren't written as "Die Hard" sequels, it just ended up being produced that way.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #2939 on: December 11, 2020, 10:46:25 PM »
Honest Thief - It bought nothing new, but passed a few minutes.

Tenet - Is the movie a  Palindrome of its self ???
Stunningly shot, At last a movie that isn't a remake.
need to watch again though