Author Topic: Latest Movie You Watched  (Read 421548 times)

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
Re: Latest Movie You Watched
« Reply #3060 on: October 30, 2021, 04:37:48 AM »
The Rundown (2003)

Sean William Scott must be pissed Ryan Reynolds is stealing all his jobs. This Red Notice film coming out? That has to hurt.

It was a satisfying action romp, and I actually had fun looking a few things up. First, the Director felt intimidated, and thought that every action scene had been "done" before. So he decided he wanted to make things look like they hurt. He came to this decision after watching They Live (1988)

There is a bit of cartoony action, like when "The Rock" punches out a brick support pylon, but for the most part the hits look authentic.

I'm always happy to see Ernie Reyes Jr in an action movie, since Ninja turtles II. Turns out he's been doing action movies since the year I was born, and was actually Donatello in the first Ninja Turtles movie! (Not the voice, he was the guy in the suit)

I did wonder why all the bad guys have a "C" patch on the uniform when the main baddie is named "Hatcher" but it turns out his first name is Cornelius.

The movie was a box office failure, but a critical darling. Which is a shame. I would have watched a sequel.

The two things I wish were more fleshed out were why Travis (Sean William Scott) father wanted him back so bad. We get a small moment where he confronts his dad about a woman in chicago who was married, which kind of made me think his dad was turning him over to the mob?

The second thing was the guy who snakes a job from the rock in the opening sequence. He shoots the rock with a beanbag shotgun, but never gets comeuppance.

In an Arnold movie, Arnold would have got even with that bottom, even if it took time.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3061 on: October 30, 2021, 03:28:38 PM »
I thought that it rang a bell. It was called "Welcome to the Jungle" on this side of the pond.

Coincidentally, that's on Comedy Central as I speak.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3062 on: November 04, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
 The Alpinist 2021. Documentary Stunning shots and at time confusing to grasp which way is up. An Alpinist at the extreme of the skill scale.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3063 on: November 06, 2021, 04:04:10 AM »
North Dallas Forty Still a brutal film and would guess happens today

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3064 on: November 06, 2021, 05:36:03 AM »
The Sun Is Also a Star was on BBC1 last night and I had the misfortune of watching it for 5 minutes before I realised what was on (I was half asleep at gone midnight when they decided to screen it). By this time I found it difficult to press the channel change button as I was in the " I just want to see what happens in this bit" mode. Even a power cut midway through didn't disuade me.

Of course, it was a 'boy meets girl' pile of pap with no real satisfactory ending, but I swear had a tear in my eye just the same.

Somebody shoot me before I get turned.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3065 on: November 06, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »
I read the plot on Wikipedia.  Thanks for saving me the trouble of enduring the film, that I'd never heard of before this.  I can't explain the title.  It's about as connected to the plot as, "ketchup is slow to leave the bottle."  Someone should write a computer program to generate titles that consist of short, one sentence, obvious statements.

Sounds like a real romance novel.  Kind of on the sappy side, to be sure.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3066 on: November 06, 2021, 01:07:17 PM »
This dog don't hunt
It's a poodle who spins around, and is in the movie as long as it takes to do the tricks.

The river is wide!
It's a wide river. They either need a boat, or they're not going.

Traffic
Instead of being about drug trafficking, it's the fourth of July, and the road is closed. People get out of their cars to try and find out why.

The memory remains
Pick a nursing home, any nursing home. Ask each resident about a specific, but not groundbreaking historical event. (Not where they were when kennedy was shot, that would be cheap)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3067 on: November 08, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »

Dangerous 2021.
Unusually in this age of movies, I had no idea what the plot was and for 40 mins still didnt. Scott has now become of a certain age where he scowls and grunts like his father.

Rise of the Foot soldier origins 2021
Foolishly I thought give it a go, as the cast is a who's who's of latter day film mobsters, Dont bother

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3068 on: November 28, 2021, 12:31:46 AM »
Bruised - Will not say a bad film but have seen the storyline before, Killed 2hrs  6/10

Free Guy - Loved it, Wife hated but she does but game so has no idea what people in games are / do. Channing Tatum plays a killing role  ;D ;D.   8/10

Army of thieves  - Different, prelude to Army of the Dead for the safe cracker 7/10

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3069 on: December 02, 2021, 01:00:28 AM »
2149: The Aftermath.  On amazon prime.  Apparently, being super rich, doesn't mean you have decent tastes in movie offerings.

What were they thinking?  Gak.  25 minutes and I just had to get out of there.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/2149_the_aftermath

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3070 on: December 02, 2021, 01:08:10 AM »
The Last Dual  -
Definitely a marmite film, A R,Scott film with out a doubt  I did enjoy it

14 Peaks Documentary- Fearless Nepali mountaineer Nimsdai Purja embarks on a seemingly impossible quest to summit all 14 of the world’s 8,000-meter peaks in seven months.
Stunning, What a absolute legend the man is and his team

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3071 on: December 04, 2021, 12:40:08 AM »
The Card Counter - You know when Actors have made it big time when
Poker and Abu Ghraib torture and prisoner abuse are in the same film  ???  Hard going.

Chicken people Documentary  - I didnt realise how many varieties of chicken there were, I wish i  could keep them. Fascination

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3072 on: December 04, 2021, 01:50:10 AM »
There's several people in this area who keep chickens for egg production, just enough for themselves and their families/neighbors.  We pass some on our daily walks.  We say hello, but they mistake it for food and come running, hopefully.  I hate to disappoint them.  They're such attractive birds.

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3073 on: January 03, 2022, 12:44:08 AM »
The Downton Abbey Movie (under protest).  I should have read a book instead.

That music, the relentless diabetic coma inducing string sections, and the insane plot line where we find Lady Mary in existential crisis questioning the validity of the feudal way of life that that brilliant masonry pile she inhabits represents.  But no, even the servants want to keep their jobs propping it up.  Lady Mary's husband pops in at the end, taking a break from that goofy Confabulation of Witches series he's in, to spin her around on the dance floor.

Best line, Maggie Smith, "I'll lick the stamps."
In short, that's 2 hours of my life I won't get back.

Online 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3074 on: January 03, 2022, 07:27:16 AM »
Isn't that a one-line summary of anything related to Downton Abbey?

Sho' nuf.