Author Topic: Last Person to Speak Wins! 第四部曲  (Read 238613 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
Re: Last Person to Speak Wins! 第四部曲
« Reply #270 on: September 22, 2020, 05:37:42 PM »
Cultural appropriation, that's what it is.

... or, as we call it, "York".

Yep.  Appropriating language from the indigenous peoples.  Algonquin in this case.
"The first maps of the area used the word Ottawa, derived from the Algonquin word adawe ("to trade", used in reference to the area's importance to First Nations traders), to name the river." (Wikipedia entry on Canadian capital city and adjacent river.)  The Illinois town was named for its function as a trading post on the IL river. Illinois is also named after the local tribes who originally inhabited the area.

So, both cities were named for proximities to rivers and trade.  I expect the locals would have been content had Europeans simply stayed home.  But then your ancestors would have been stuck with our great great great grandparents or something like that.  Clearly, I have too much time on my hands these days.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #271 on: September 23, 2020, 03:16:17 AM »
That just flippin' confusing then. Next thing you know they'll start using England's place names.

Cultural appropriation, that's what it is.

Did you know there's an Old York?!?!?

... or, as we call it, "York".

First I've heard of it. Is it north of Luton?

Yep.  Appropriating language from the indigenous peoples.  Algonquin in this case.
"The first maps of the area used the word Ottawa, derived from the Algonquin word adawe ("to trade", used in reference to the area's importance to First Nations traders), to name the river." (Wikipedia entry on Canadian capital city and adjacent river.)  The Illinois town was named for its function as a trading post on the IL river. Illinois is also named after the local tribes who originally inhabited the area.

So, both cities were named for proximities to rivers and trade.  I expect the locals would have been content had Europeans simply stayed home.  But then your ancestors would have been stuck with our great great great grandparents or something like that.  Clearly, I have too much time on my hands these days.

Sounds complicated. Should've just called it Yark.

York would've been better but appararently it's already taken.
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #272 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:58 AM »
There's a town in southern Illinois called Cairo (pronounced Kay Ro).  There are multiple references to the Nile delta and Egypt in the area near the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers.  Americans seemed to be obsessed at times with reproducing the Old World in the New, hence the multiple towns or states named "Athens," "Newcastle" or New something or other (York, Orleans, Hampshire, Brunswick, Britain, Rochelle, Jersey, etc.)  This could be a great scattergories question.  Oh well.

It's hot here and the heat is making me stupid so I'll close.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Human
« Reply #273 on: September 25, 2020, 04:00:16 AM »
Memphis, Clovis, First place I lived was called Antioch.

"fun" fact, Clovis passed an emergency order to reopen businesses. Because Covid is a liberal myth. The only good thing about that bless'ed town was the Foster Freeze.

And I suppose big hat day, but that just seemed like a general street fair. I never noticed how WHITE clovis was when I would be there, but it was once the headquarters of the KKK, so it's not surprising.

I am glad it mostly skipped over my family. One Uncle had that Nordic art phase in high school, but I've never heard a racial slur out of his mouth.

Grandma said "colored" until she died, but she voted for Obama just the same. I remember dad would mess with her when they had Jesus programs on the TV, he'd bring up the regional ethnicities (Huge history buff, my dad) and bring up the fact that Jesus probably wasn't a white dude.

She'd get super mad, but then let it go. She was cool. Got the most merciful death of anyone in my family. We all seem to go choking. She got up, routine as anything. Ate her breakfast, took her medication, then decided a morning nap was in order.

Didn't get up again.

Sorry for the rambly, I'm not in a great place, mentally. Aunt yo-yo'd a living situation that would have relieved a lot of pressure, but it now seems like it was a psychological game to piss my mom off.

Plus it would have meant moving to the sticks in PA. Five miles to the closest store, and an aunt who likes to push buttons as a neighbor.

Mom's super depressed.
just one little time change so a draft board in 1968 turns down the bribe to accept "bone spurs" and we are home-free.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Human
« Reply #274 on: September 25, 2020, 05:31:43 AM »
I'm sorry about the expensive living situation.  CA is not cheap.  And your Aunt should be ashamed.  But, while rural PA can be really beautiful, if you don't have a car, it's not really a workable living situation.  Plus lots of snow in the winter.  In urban CA, you can get groceries delivered and you have options.  PA? not so much.  For most locales, the only game in town is WalMart, and a Supercenter if you are lucky.  Ick.