Author Topic: What are you doing right now?  (Read 507357 times)

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
Re: What are you doing right now?
« Reply #3315 on: December 10, 2018, 11:23:26 AM »
 ;D ;D

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3316 on: December 10, 2018, 07:17:10 PM »
Got a rare day off and instead of getting a start on my paperwork, I've spent the last 3 hours wading through eBay.

I wouldn't mind but you can hardly get a good deal on there these days.

They used to have a subdivision called half.com.  That appears to have gone the way of the Dodo.  I tried to find a book on ebay and the prices were ludicrous.  It was not a rare or out of print book.  Used to be you could pick stuff up on there for next to nothing.  Now everything is nearly full retail or worse.  There's an alternative site I have used once in a blue moon, blujay marketplace (eblujay.com) but they don't have as much stuff for sale.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3317 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »
Not exactly a new thing, I used to buy playstation games on ebay, but they saw the speculation in the SNES market and decided they wanted some of that action. Games went from $15-$20 to $200 overnight.

And the games were still only worth the prior price point.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3318 on: December 16, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
Baking.  A couple batches of cookies, some scones and now Congo Bars.

We're having reheated pizza for dinner.  Taking a day off from studying before plunging into the next exam prep.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3319 on: December 17, 2018, 12:54:48 AM »
Testing the new RJ45 plug I have just crimped to the cable that connects this computer to the intarwebz.

Yay! it works!
Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3320 on: December 17, 2018, 01:50:07 AM »
Oh man, that's the one tech thing I am absolute poo at. I mean I can get the wire order down just fine, but the physical crimp, I screw that up every time.

Same thing with the real fiddly poo on a mainboard, I'll thread that needle once, but after that I just hope stuff doesn't stop working.

I also can't cut a pizza without ruining it. So pressure application is one of my weak fields.

I applaud your networking prowess!

Offline dweez

• Global Moderator
  • Q
  • Rebel Mod
« Reply #3321 on: December 19, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
Testing the new RJ45 plug I have just crimped to the cable that connects this computer to the intarwebz.

Yay! it works!

Crimpin' ain't easy.
--dweez

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3322 on: January 19, 2019, 12:34:56 AM »
A whole weekend with nothing planned Yippee.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3323 on: January 19, 2019, 01:35:15 AM »
I had a great meal with nice wine at a friend's house.  Afterwards, we went for a walk.   San Francisco hills offer a way to walk off dessert and there was a light drizzle.  It was so mild and beautiful.  When I first came out here, it was Chinese New Year and there were fireworks going off in the sky over the city.  There were daffodils blooming, even though it was late January.  They are blooming now.  Some things don't change, happily.

Now I'm home with a glass of seltzer, contemplating late night tv viewing.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3324 on: January 20, 2019, 01:02:23 AM »
sounds very nice place. One place that is on my bucket list.

I am Contemplating whether to go for a cycle ride or relax, I popped my left calf last week running just before we flew to Benidorm Spain :-[. will probably relax and set fathers pc up.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3325 on: January 20, 2019, 04:02:40 AM »
Ouch.  I hope you heal quickly.

I'm having some peppermint tea and trying to decide whether to read some more about forced death marches in Hitler's Willing Executioners or to see more BSG.  I think it'll be death marches tonight.  This book is grim and I have about 100 more pages of pain and suffering before moving onto something else.  It was illuminating but kind of stressful for bedtime reading.

Offline smokester

• Administrator
  • Q
  • Da mihi castitatem et continentiam, sed noli modo!
« Reply #3326 on: January 29, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
I just gave the tax man a small fortune and I still have to face the VAT consequences.

I might throw it all in and just spend my days here instead. I used to do that in the early days of D. Back them all I needed was a couple of chaos threads to post in and I was good.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can put off until the day after.

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3327 on: January 29, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
You could always watch Battlestar Galactica! :P

But there are a shitload of spoilers in that thread. Mostly retroactive, I try not to reveal anything before it happens.

This morning I got to argue with a representative for my health insurance subsidiary. They DEMAND I go to the doctors for a yearly assessment. I retort that I went in October. NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

I don't have a car, and the bus service sucks. The only concession I got was to push it to feb 27th. Feckers.

VAT seems like it lies to you right there in the name. Value Added Tax. The golly value does it add? A subtraction from the wallet, one supposes. It's like a Negative Value Tax! BUT THAT DOESN'T SHORTEN INTO A NAME WITH A VOWEL!

Maybe you could klingon it up? A Neg'Vat! A blade with which you only cut yourself.

These meat suits are cowpoo, I can't even RMA my stomach.

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3328 on: January 30, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
chilling with coffee and pc.
Looking for a few items I need to go winter mountaineering, like everything though too many ads and crap info

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3329 on: January 30, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
When I lived in the Bay Area I really enjoyed Mt. Diablo. Then again, we were there in April I think? Neither extreme. People who go High Hrothgaring make me think they're nuts, and Summer Rock climbers are equally nuts.

Well, the rock climbers rarely require subsequent oxygen.

You aren't wrong about ads lately though, holy bless'ed poo, it's like they EXPECT you to use an ad-blocker to make the sites functional!

I'm holding off on two very minor purchases because January was mucho spendo, and I need to move them over to Feb. They might be gone by then, and I'll be sad, but the dog has been in and out of the vet too much for me to be buying anything recreational.

So I guess I'm coveting? Is that the right word?

Oh, and just now, I arced my computer. Spent the money on rubber tweezers, used metal ones to remove a dust bunny from front panel because it was on hand.

God that was dumb. Thank god it started back up. Mouse is more responsive now. Dafuq does that mean? I'd disconnect the front panel completely, but... power button.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 05:10:56 PM by 8ullfrog »