Author Topic: What are you thinking right now?  (Read 433729 times)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
Re: What are you thinking right now?
« Reply #3045 on: June 24, 2019, 09:21:38 PM »
Glad you got to relax at home instead of being frogmarched onto a bus for a couple hours for no good reason.

I think I might go back to reading the Hyperion Cantos.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3046 on: June 25, 2019, 01:41:13 AM »
There is a Hotel California near the Alhambra in Granada, Spain.  I don't think they have restrictions on departures, whereas the youth hostel kicks you out for a few hours in the middle of the day, presumably to clean the place. 

Out of boredom and idle curiosity, I just fast forwarded through an episode of The Young and the Restless.  Now, that's a Hotel California.   There are actors on that soap who were working on it when I was in high school.  They were originally in their early 20's, while they have to be in their 50's now.  I guess that steady paycheck has a stronger pull than the Earth's gravity.  I'm back to reading a book, now.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3047 on: June 25, 2019, 03:50:58 AM »
In that Ed O'neill interview series I posted a while back, he said it really was all kinds in the soap world. He'd be talking about how drunk he got with his buddy on the tram cart ride in, and the hoity toity stars would be talking gold market fluctuation.

Is young and restless the one with the fashion house? Because my mom watched that after she had back surgery. I liked the Liam Character but always wanted Steffy to die.

Apparently she's still an insufferable poo years later, and Liam was dumb enough to knock her up.  I caught her watching it on youtube this evening, so maybe there's something subliminal going on.

One time when I was bored as golly I read a weird compendium on some soap, it was written in an in-universe tone. (I was stuck at a family function) and the thing did span 50 years.

I originally intended to buy the Senn 280's, but the price stopped me cold. the 205's are less impressive than a pair of noise canceling sony's I found behind goodwill. They run off a triple-A battery, and the compartment dangles off the cord, so wearing them out isn't really an option. Great for sitting and watching a movie though.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3048 on: June 25, 2019, 10:35:51 AM »
You are thinking of The Bold and The Beautiful.  The Bells put out two new soap operas in the late 70's/early 80's.  The Young and the Restless and the Bold & the Beautiful.  What is remarkable about them is that they're still going while all the other Procter & Gamble soaps have gone the way of the Dodo.  These are run on CBS.  I never really spent a great deal of time watching other networks, but mostly because my mother was too lazy to change the channel and she'd have nonstop CBS soaps running all afternoon.  This is how I became conversant with them.  It's not something that I deliberately consumed.  But I guess it's like having nonstop foreign language tapes running in the background.  You're bound to pick up a few phrases.

The YTR featured two main protagonists, Victor and Nikki Newman.  Victor is a handsome ruthless businessman who has lots of enemies.  His kids are a major focus now.  They run Newman Industries. I haven't a clue what the company does.  I think there's also a perfume business, Jerbaud, run by a rival family.  There's so much incest and wife swapping that you really need a program guide to keep it straight.  David Hasslehoff got his start on the YTR as Snapper Foster, a young doctor.  There were the Fosters, a blue collar family and the Chancellors, wealthy people, sort of snobbish.  Catherine Chancellor was a real character who suffered through her husband's infidelities, alcoholism, and a facelift.  She would make unlikely alliances from time to time.  She was pretty entertaining.  I can't really figure out how all these guys were linked but they were.  I barely remember this show, but I do remember that one time when Nikki Newman was fighting alcoholism herself (vodka to fight back pain), Victor forced her into the hospital until she got her problems under control.  I remember talking to my sister about this at the Safeway checkout line and the cashier piped up, "she'd better stay in the hospital or Victor's gonna get those kids."  Honestly, it was like so many people were hooked into this daytime drama.  I don't know anyone who watches it anymore.  But they must.

B&B has a fashion house, in fact some competing ones.  Lots of industrial espionage and skullduggery because of it along with the usual marital infidelity and scheming.  I watched it less.  It comes on right after YTR.  The evils you refer to are still on there creating mischief.  I always found it more boring. 

I was amazed at how dull and flat the acting was on the episode that I spent about 10 minutes fast forwarding through of the YTR last night.  Still, they must have some kind of following, as they're still on after 40 years.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3049 on: June 26, 2019, 01:36:26 AM »
In mid June, I ordered some replacement ear pads from ebay for the Sennheiser HD497 headphones that I wear at the computer.  They have still not shipped, nearly 2 weeks later.  I wrote and got this response.  It's so typically Chinese and sort of sweet.  Hard to get mad at them even though I probably won't see them until mid August.  "about a long-time..."

Thanks for your kindness and patience
We shiped it from china via economic express , so it wil take about a long-time
Really sorry again for the inconvenience may cause for you

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3050 on: June 27, 2019, 12:40:21 AM »
Huh, all I tend to get is poor English and a bad attitude.

Speaking of bad attitudes, I was in a horrible mood today, so I loaded up Saints row 3 and just threw grenades into traffic. I got an achievement for it.

The Sennheiser earpads are fairly crappy.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3051 on: June 27, 2019, 12:53:50 AM »
The last replacements I got were great, still going strong.  After the Chinese runaround, I decided to buy more from the same place (not the Chinese source).  When the Chinese ones get here, they'll be backups.

I had a brain MRI today.  It was like being trapped next to the speakers of a terrible EDM concert.  OMG.  It went on and on.  A half hour turned into an eternity.  My ears were ringing like after a concert, only worse, for hours.  I finally poured some hydrogen peroxide in my ears and it helped a lot.  Somebody must have thought, "hey, if I thump a melon, I can tell if it's ripe.  I wonder if I could run vibrations through someone's head and get information about their brain?"  Thanks a bunch.  Fun times.  I'm too exhausted to whack up the ginger for hostility.  I can enjoy yours, vicariously, though.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3052 on: June 27, 2019, 12:59:13 AM »
When I had one it reminded me of the sound the pool vacuum makes underwater, cranked up to 1000.

Apparently my ear canals were "super interesting" but they never told me why. Doctor brought all his friends down to have a look.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3053 on: June 27, 2019, 05:58:09 PM »
The one thing I have never wanted to be is interesting to doctors.

Offline 8ullfrog

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3054 on: June 27, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »
I was more pissed from the customer standpoint. I was paying them good money to figure out dafuq was wrong with me, and they turned it into a creeper convention.

Like, you want to study my ears? Cool. Pay Me. No Dissection. Otherwise, you're wasting my time and money.

The soundproof room was cool. I've heard people go insane in there, but I like the quiet.

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3055 on: June 28, 2019, 12:24:47 AM »
The MRI was at 2:30 yesterday afternoon.  I could still hear ringing in my ears the next evening after 6 p.m.  I don't think this imaging method is especially safe in terms of preserving hearing.

Teaching hospitals can be annoying because they regard your body as some kind of extended teaching equipment, like a textbook or model of a physical condition that helps students learn.  I'm already having regrets about using a teaching situation for my eye problems.  I may end up switching opthamologists if the situation I encountered during my last visit continues -- students putting too many drops in my eyes for dilation, causing me headaches and extended/unnecessary discomfort.  Students learning to photograph the insides of my eyes with bright lights and not doing so very efficiently so that they had to keep repeating the procedure, thereby extending my discomfort.  That's a bit much.

I'm also thinking that Schmoogsley has been absent a great deal, so probably back on the road for extended periods.  I hope he enjoys Harrisburg.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 12:29:53 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline Schmoogsley

• Homo Erectus
« Reply #3056 on: June 28, 2019, 05:17:02 AM »
Well, sitting here with a flat tire, thought I'd pop in. Was able to pull into Walmart parking lot. Try to make it easier on the Michelin guy.   :)
Working my butt off but don't feel sorry for me. Been making killer money. Gonna keep rockin, then, gonna take 4 days off for Independence Day. Got bunch of family coming in from Florida and Arizona. poo, the Michelin guy just showed up. That was quick.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:21:49 AM by Schmoogsley »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3057 on: June 29, 2019, 01:09:53 AM »
Glastonbury and no rain  :) :)

Offline 6pairsofshoes

• Homo Superior
« Reply #3058 on: June 30, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »
Nice.

I recently was clearing the closet and found a pair of old Sennheiser HD497s that I was preparing to send to the eWaste.  Checked and found that the big problem was the wires.  So I went onto ebay, got replacement wires, and just got new earpads.  So I was happy to have restored these.  They now work fine.  I keep a second set for the TV in case one of us wants to listen when the other needs silence.

I go to put them back in the little cubby under the TV only to find that I had actually purchased a replacement a while back and forgotten about it.  I must have assumed the old "dead" ones were beyond repair and picked up another pair on ebay cheap.  So now I have 3 sets.  The ones I fixed were the most beaten up of the three, but they still work, so I guess I can take them when I travel or something.  I was wondering if I overpaid to restore them, given the parts cost around $20.  Then I checked ebay and found a new pair (the only one) in the original package for sale for $129.  If I remember correctly, the first pair I bought from an audiophile store for somewhere in the $70 range but that was nearly 20 years ago.  So I suspect this was a reasonable investment.

My closet has god knows what stashed away in there.  Emptying it is a huge project.  The box of electronics was close to the front.  There's a bunch of ebay auction stuff that I keep putting off selling.  That stuff has to go, soon.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:08:33 AM by 6pairsofshoes »

Offline goldshirt*9

• Super Hero
  • Who yous looking ats
« Reply #3059 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:44 AM »
 ::) little finds are a great boost for a person, I was jogging and ran over a pair of Bose in ear headphones which are great.